DIY Sim and FAA Certification

AndyTowPilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Andy
Hi Everyone,

CFII here and fulltime IT professional (Software Engineering / Network & Systems Admin in previous role). I am interested in potentially building a custom ATD to my specifications. Has anyone done this and had success getting it FAA certified?

If not, are there any ATD's that folks are using at home that they can recommend?

Thanks,
Andy

I have a friend who is a software engineer and flight instructor and got her PhD from Harvard in CS and her thesis was on flight simulation. She's looked into getting one of her designs approved. It's not easy.

WingX has a software version that is certified. As for hardware, need to contact them directly. It's a HUGE *&^&^** dealing with the FAA to get it certified. Another option is a Redbird.

Aviation dept at my university has 12 Frascas and 4 others (twins, don't know vendor) and decided not to move into the new Aerospace building because of the cost. Not moving the equipment - that was in the budget. But they forgot about re-certification by the FAA. If a university isn't going to drop the $$$, not sure an individual will want to.

If not, are there any ATD's that folks are using at home that they can recommend?
Checkout RealSimGear, a pilot friend of mine basically did exactly this. I'm not affiliated with the company outside of friendship with the owner, but they build a very solid product.. everything from a basic 430 box up to nearly full size cockpits. Yes, they have FAA cert versions

You can buy components (650, 430, etc.) or a full package (Cessna, Cirrus)

https://realsimgear.com/

Back