diy e6b?

GeorgeC

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
GeorgeC
Now that I've started the crosscountry part of my training, I wrote my own e6b software to make vfr flight plans for me. The answers check out and it saves a lot of tedious bookkeeping, but did I just make a crutch for myself?

Now that I've started the crosscountry part of my training, I wrote my own e6b software to make vfr flight plans for me. The answers check out and it saves a lot of tedious bookkeeping, but did I just make a crutch for myself?

For long VFR - I prefer to plan the old way with the e6b, then move up to my GPS FPL (or now my new ipad2). If the first few legs are correct, I continue using the software.

When I need to plan a long distance flight I have taken in the last few years, I whip out software to calculate for me. Saves time and now I am saving routes in my handheld GPS.

Or you could plan and fly with a whiz wheel. Takes up very little room, needs no batteries, and the only mental math required is a little addition, subtraction, and multiplying and dividing by ten. ;)

I did the entire CFII ride with Foreflight / Far Aim App. The flight planning, the oral, and the actual flight.

Well, I've used the E6B precisely 0 times since my private pilot checkride. So I don't think you made a crutch for yourself.

But Laurie gave me a really cool watch with one built-in, so I'm going to re-learn.

Technology is changing. Not knowing how to use the electronic tools seems foolish to me. If nothing else, think of the value of the GPS - there are many airports that I have to shoot a GPS approach into, because that's all they have. The trick, I believe, is being able to do things the old fashioned way. For example, if you fly a /G airplane, you should still know how to fly /U.

Yeah, we've been hitting the jolly, candylike --D-> button too. That said, it's nice to be able to check one's answers easily:

HTML:
----- inputs
winds/temps:
alt=   0 dir=280 spd= 5 temp=30
alt=3000 dir=300 spd=10 temp=22
alt=6000 dir=320 spd=15 temp=14

surface weather:
barometric pressure = 30.12"
dewpoint            = 22.00

aircraft parameters:
fuel burn rate =   8.00 gph
cruise speed   = 100.00 kcas
initial fuel   =  40.00 gallons

----- outputs
cumulus cloud base           = 3280.00'
pressure altitude correction = -228.50'

--- leg 1
course	alt	winddir	windspd	temp	tas	wca
292	2500	298	  6	 23	106	  0
leg	gs	ete	eta	fuel used
 15	100	 9.0	 9.0	 1.2
rem				fuel rem
 43				38.8

--- leg 2
321	4500	312	 13	 18	109	 -1
leg	gs	ete	eta	fuel used
 19	 97	11.8	20.7	 1.6
rem				fuel rem
 24				37.2

--- leg 3
321	4500	312	 13	 18	109	 -1
leg	gs	ete	eta	fuel used
 24	 97	14.9	35.6	 2.0
rem				fuel rem
  0				35.2

--- summary
total distance  =  58.0
total time      =  35.6
total fuel burn =   4.8

I created a Nav Log in Excel that calculated wind correction angles & groundspeed, fuel burn, etc., but I haven't used it. I still do it by hand, or use the AOPA flight planner.

That reminds me, I need to pony up and join AOPA...

the continuing adventures of noob student pilot

I also went ahead and made my own navlog in excel, as I find that neither the asa or dauntless ones give me enough room in the margin for notes and put too much irrelevant info on the right side of the fold.

Attachments

• navlog.pdf
    25.9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Well, I've used the E6B precisely 0 times since my private pilot checkride. So I don't think you made a crutch for yourself.

But Laurie gave me a really cool watch with one built-in, so I'm going to re-learn.

Technology is changing. Not knowing how to use the electronic tools seems foolish to me. If nothing else, think of the value of the GPS - there are many airports that I have to shoot a GPS approach into, because that's all they have. The trick, I believe, is being able to do things the old fashioned way. For example, if you fly a /G airplane, you should still know how to fly /U.
I use the e6b function of my GPS all the time and have used the whiz wheel, post PP check ride, less than a handful of times. I don't think I even have one in my flight bag any longer.

Never leaned to use an E6b. Sorry, no self-respecting scientist in this day and age is going to use a slide rule. Any of you engineers use one at work?

I prefer the old school. Once I mark the wind vector, I'm golden for flight planning. Spin to new course- boom, got my heading. Done. Quicker than excel.

Never leaned to use an E6b. Sorry, no self-respecting scientist in this day and age is going to use a slide rule. Any of you engineers use one at work?

Never in a practical setting but I do have 2 my father used back in the day.

Just joined AOPA, I simply could not resist the "free" pilot bag.

That said, their flight planner isn't half bad.

I created a Nav Log in Excel that calculated wind correction angles & groundspeed, fuel burn, etc., but I haven't used it. I still do it by hand, or use the AOPA flight planner.

Wow, good on you for doing that. You'll use it 4-6 times in your life, but good for building it, it helps put it all into your head. You won't use it anymore after you get your ticket. Reality, you'll get a GPS and it will have all the E6B functions but it will all be irrelevant for the most part since it's already feeding you ground speed and ground track so you know where to point it and if you'll make it there before the fuel timer runs out (If you have a cockpit timer, not a bad idea to program it with your fuel available time at departure) which is basically what you use an E6B to establish. Outside of the GPS though, the good old aluminum whizwheel is as simple, fast and easy to use as anything else.

I have one that I use for decoration and as a paperweight.

I have one of these pinned up on my cubicle wall with a label that says "backup computer" under it.

decilon_1.jpg

I understand the wind correction side of the e6b but why use the other side? Too many confusing options.

Is a DPE ok with calculating time and distance and speed with a simple calculator and then fuel used based on time? Seems a lot easier than messing up a whiz wheel calculation.

And why can't my iphone app be used for this anyway? Is there some FAA rule that says I can't?

Since the CX2 is able to be used for the written , can you use it for the check ride portions or will the DPE say something along the line of " your batteries just died" to force you to use the wiz wheel?

I am ok using it for the WCA but I absolutely despise using it for the other calculations. There is too much going on and it really messes me up, then I get all pizzed off and want to shoot the thing or toss it into a wall like a throwing star.

Sorry, no self-respecting scientist in this day and age is going to use a slide rule.

That's probably the only math class in grade school was calculator math and long division was not in the syllabus because the teachers don't know how.

I was using the E-6B for range calculations in the motorhome last summer. Roadmaps on the engine cover, GPS sitting on the panel...and I has the sectional out and E-6B in my hand. It was the one tool I trusted to make sure I could make the fuel stop I wanted to get to. :lol:

Wait - I was supposed to get a "free" pilot bag?

They give you $50 Sporty's credit when you join. I joined for something like $20/year introductory price, and got $50 credit to Sporty's. Hello flight bag!

Just delay renewing some year. They'll throw all sorts of cheap Chinese made swag at you to re-up. ;)

Nope, you did exactly what was intended. You learned the formulas and calculations for what you need to know. Most likely what you made was something you wont use after you get your PPL, because in the mean time you'll have figured out how to do all those calculations quickly in your head.
It's the back side of those puppies with the wind correction calculation that comes in handy if you don't have any other way to track your course line.

Back