Discounting selling prices

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
When you see this, "Motivated Seller - Medical Issues force sale", How much do you discount the price?

Why would that cause me to discount the price?:confused:
Because you are a greedy heathen that wants to take advantage of a poor old man.
(ok, maybe not YOU particularly).

Another reason is that they wouldn't put those phrases in an ad unless they were insinuating they would take less than the asking price.

Sounds like a classic Barnstormers tag. I'm not sure why anyone would include that in their ad. Sounds like the sort of copy you'd see in ads from 30 years ago (which makes sense considering the likely age of the seller).

I'd...

1) Assume the plane was in questionable shape as no one immediately sells their plane the moment they find out they have a medical condition that prevents them from flying

2) Make them an offer so low they'll drop dead from a heart attack on the spot.

Sounds like a classic Barnstormers tag. I'm not sure why anyone would include that in their ad. Sounds like the sort of copy you'd see in ads from 30 years ago (which makes sense considering the likely age of the seller).

I'd...

1) Assume the plane was in questionable shape as no one immediately sells their plane the moment they find out they have a medical condition that prevents them from flying

2) Make them an offer so low they'll drop dead from a heart attack on the spot.

It gets included because it makes people call to try to steal from someone and take advantage of them. The ability to find Arbitage opportunity is what makes America salivate, according to John anyway...;)

Planes get sold quickly when there's a $1,000,000 medical bill on the table.

Last edited:
Must sell ,going through a divorce. Usually means a good deal is available for the right offer. Illness forces sale ,the seller is looking for sympathy,and a pass,on the condition of the airplane.

It would only be there if it were of benefit to the seller. While it may seem contrary to their interest in getting the highest price, what it also does is create a sense of urgency in the buyer to make an offer and close a deal quickly. Making the mark panic is as old a pressure sales tactic as there is.

It would only be there if it were of benefit to the seller. While it may seem contrary to their interest in getting the highest price, what it also does is create a sense of urgency in the buyer to make an offer and close a deal quickly. Making the mark panic is as old a pressure sales tactic as there is.

Yep, make them believe there is a 'distress opportunity'. Someone read PT Barnum's business guide. Truth is that statement would have no impact on how I view the deal.

sometimes a low asking price can be a red flag. Including information on why the seller is motivated could alleviate some concerns.

or maybe the seller enjoys the lowball offers from heartless greedy b******s

Standard sales, carefully and tactfully hit him low (below wholesale) and see where it goes.

I do that regardless of what they say in the ad.

I would take it as a sign that the guy wants to sell vs the guy who pretends it's for sale for keep momma happy!
My offer would depend on the airplane more than the ad, buying a bad airplane cheap is never a good deal, paying a fair price for a really good airplane is always a good deal! :D I have seen airplanes priced too cheap and they sell quickly at asking price and tons more priced too high that languish for years. :dunno:

Motivated seller may be discounting the price from outrageous to slightly overpriced.

Back