Disabled Vet learns to fly again

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Tammy Duckworth, the former Black Hawk helicopter pilot who lost both her legs to a rocket-propelled grenade in Iraq, hoists herself into a single-engine Piper Cherokee.

She turns the key, taxis to a runway, pushes the throttle and pulls back on the yoke to coax the four-seat plane, its propeller whirling, onward and upward.

Now it's blue skies for Duckworth, who's flying again.

For the 41-year-old assistant U.S. veterans affairs secretary, flying equals freedom, even if it's not adrenaline-drenched combat duty but sailing over exurban Virginia's forests and farms.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-tammy-duckworth-30-aug30,0,933682.story

Kudos to her!!! :cheerswine::cheerswine:

That's great, and her husband flies too! Reading that story and watching the video, I couldn't help but think of Jessica Cox.

Speaking of whom, Dr. Bruce, you need to contact her. She's thinking of going for planes larger than the Ercoupe, and will be needing a class III medical. Hopefully she can get a SODA.

Bravo Zulu to Maj. Duckworth. So much of guts is attitude and she has it in triplicate ( just like an army form)

Glad I searched the archives!

There's a TERRIFIC article about Tammy starting on pages 64/65 of the new March 2010 AOPA Pilot. You have to read it!

What a comeback and unbreakable spirit. Look at the pictures, see the fight in her smile.

There's been talk about her leaving her VA post and running for state office (Governor or Lt. Governor) in Illinois. Whether she has actually participated in any of that talk, I don't know!

I talked with her and her husband at Oshkosh for quite a while 2 years ago. She was trying on one of our Sky Arrows with the adaptive hand controls. She's a very sharp individual. I doubt she would have any problem passing a SODA ride.

Back