Dinner again

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
after last weeks great success, i return. Another Sunday, another all nighter on homework. Once again I have to cook something for supper monday. Its going to be my birthday. I am responsible for a side dish. Any good ideas? as usual needs to be relatively quick and easy to prepare. had anything yummy lately?

511824NC4GL.jpg

:D

Kenny - Im the only CFI in this dinner group. the others just wouldn't get it

Congratulations on the birthday, Tony. Do you know what the MAIN dish will be? Might help us narrow in on an appropriate side dish.

no i dont know what main dish will be. it seems that most weeks no one knows what the other person is making and it always turns out pretty good.

Sometime when you have enough TIME (I wouldn't call this quick, but it's not really drawn out, either), this potato casserole with red peppers has been a hit with the family and EVERYONE we've made it for. Don't leave out the onions and red peppers--it's what makes this dish amazing.

Or, make "stuffed mashed potatoes". Pick up 3 - 4 packages of Idahoan's Red Potatoes (just add boiling water); prepare the potatoes, and mix in a quarter cup of sour cream, half a stick of butter, chopped up green onions, and shredded cheddar cheese... salt and pepper to taste. Poor man's stuffed potatoes. Add some cooked crisp cut up bacon if you want to spend a little more and really "kick it up a notch".

Last edited:
It's tricky to know a side dish without knowing the main dish. There are all sorts of ideas on recipe websites.

Few of my favs:
Sausage or beef stuffed mushrooms
Seasoned potato wedges
squash with onions

Happy Birthday! I'm right after you.

Oops, I was so busy coming up with a suggestion I forgot...

Happy Birthday, Tony!
Birthday_Celebration.gif

Quick, easy, and good. One mixing bowl, one casserole dish, a couple of cans to open, some shredded cheese, and one package of Ritz Crackers.

Vegetable casserole:
1 can Veg-All
1 cup grated cheese
1 cup mayonnaise
1 can whole kernel corn
1 stick butter
1 stack Ritz crackers
1/4 c. chopped onions (if desired)

Drain and mix together Veg-All and corn. Add cheese, mayonnaise, and onion. Mix together. Pour into casserole dish and top with crumbled Ritz crackers. Melt stick of butter and drizzle over cracker crumbs.

Bake at 325* for 25-30 minutes.

Voila!

It's a staple at southern church pot-lucks, so it MUST be good (and easy). ;)

How many people? I've got a great (NOT diet) baked bean dish! Involves a pound of bacon, about four cans of different types of beans, an onion, brown sugar, chili sauce, and a few other things. Scales up well, and it comes from a cousin in Oshkosh, too!

And Happy Birthday!

How many people? I've got a great (NOT diet) baked bean dish! Involves a pound of bacon, about four cans of different types of beans, an onion, brown sugar, chili sauce, and a few other things. Scales up well, and it comes from a cousin in Oshkosh, too!

And Happy Birthday!

Heck, even if HE doesn't want that recipe, I DO! Post it! :yes:

like last week, 7 college kids to feed.

Okay. "Four Bean Casserole"
Brown together in skillet and DON'T drain fat:
1/2 pound bacon (I said 1 pound earlier because I usually double the recipe)
1 large onion, chopped

1 can (about 15 oz) each:
- butter beans
- lima beans
- kidney beans
- pork & beans ("good" brand)
Drain beans in large colander:

Mix together in large bowl:
1/2 c blackstrap molasses
3/4 c dark brown sugar, packed
1/4 c chili sauce (can substitute BBQ sauce or, in a pinch, catsup)
1/4 c vinegar
1 tsp dry mustard (Coleman's is good)

Pour a little of the bacon grease in the bottom of a 2 - 3 quart casserole. Combine the beans with the bacon, onion, and remaining fat. Add the sauce mixture. Pour into casserole. Cover and bake at 325*F for 1 1/2 hours. Serves 12.

It's GOOD! :yes:
Credit: Patti Jean Shew, Oshkosh, WI.

Happy birthday. Asparagus with a simple cheese sauce is always nice. Quick and easy as well. Boil the asparagus standing in the pot with the heads out of the water until the stalks are nearly tender done. While this is happenning, in a a pan, put in some butter, olive oil and a 1/4 cup of flour and with a wisk keep stirring it around on medium heat until it starts to turn a shade of color darker and remove fom heat. Have a half a pint of heavy whipping cream in a bowl, and slowly add the contents of the pan into it while whisking, then transfer it back into the pan and put back on low heat to a simmer. As this starts to warm, grate in some cheese, I like to use Havarti for my main cheese (with caraway is nice for asparagus), and add some parmagiano (do NOT use the pulverized crap in a jar), but if you want, you can take the easy route and buy a bag of Sargento's Five Italian Cheese grated mix, it'll work out, and keep stirring with the wisk until smooth, about this time the asparagus should be ready to lay down in the pot and put the heads under. Once the sauce is smooth (the cheese molten and incorporated) and simmering, while constantly and briskly whisking, slowly oh so slowly, just a slight dribbling stream, add a half a cup of white wine, I suggest a nice Fume' Blanc (I'd say never cook with anything you wouldn't drink, but at your age you'd probably drink MD 20/20) or if you can't find one, you should be able to find a Sauvignon Blanc, go with one from up in Washington, (Columbia Estates I think?) and allow to simmer on very low heat keeping it moving with the wisk, then remove from heat when the asparagus is finished. Shouldn't take more than 15 minutes start to finish, and it'll be well worth the effort that everyone will think you put into it.

side dish:

Peppery Baked Onions With Gruyere

4 medium onions
cooking spray
1 1/2 tsp olive oil
3/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup beef broth
2 tsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp dried sage
1/4 c grated Gruyere

Preheat oven to 400. Spray a shallow casserole with cooking spray.Slice onions crosswise in halves and arrange in dish. Brush tops with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Bake at 400 for 40 minutes. Add broth and soy sauce and cook for 1 hour, basting every 15 minutes. Sprinkle with sage and cheese, and bake unitl cheese melts.

This tastes just like French onion soup!

Below is an appetizer I have also taken to potlucks (assembly on-site - this is key). Very quick and easy.

Baked Brie

2 frozen pastry sheets, such as Pepperidge Farm
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped (I always just buy the stuff that's already minced, in oil...)
1 16 ounce brie wheel (may substitute equivalent big wedge of brie)
3 to 4 tablespoons honey (I just squirt on as much as I like - and I like honey)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Have ready a lightly greased baking dish that is about two inches wider than the wheel of brie.

Defrost the pastry sheets until they are pliable, unfold and set aside.

In a small pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute; the garlic will be fragrant but not browned. Set aside.

Drape one pastry sheet in the prepared baking dish, letting the edges hang over the sides and fitting the pastry to the bottom of the dish. Place the brie on the pastry and spoon the garlic and butter on top. Fold up the corners of the pastry so that they rest on top of the brie. Cover the brie with the second pastry sheet, tucking its corners around the wheel. (The baked pastry will expand to fill the dish.) Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the pastry is golden and slightly puffy.

Drizzle honey on top and serve warm.

side dish:

Peppery Baked Onions With Gruyere

4 medium onions
cooking spray
1 1/2 tsp olive oil
3/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup beef broth
2 tsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp dried sage
1/4 c grated Gruyere

Preheat oven to 400. Spray a shallow casserole with cooking spray.Slice onions crosswise in halves and arrange in dish. Brush tops with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Bake at 400 for 40 minutes. Add broth and soy sauce and cook for 1 hour, basting every 15 minutes. Sprinkle with sage and cheese, and bake unitl cheese melts.

This tastes just like French onion soup!

That sounds really good....

When I cook a pork tenderloin in the oven, I set it atop red onions sliced in half or quarters. They absorb the juices while cooking - makes a really tasty treat.

the main course was chicken/broccolli/cheese and noodle casserole. I ran out of time in the afternoon working on a massive project that is no where near done. Leah ran to the store for me and picked up some jello salad stuff. I know, lame, but it was all I could do. no time to cook. We had grapes for a fruit and one of the girls made fresh baked chocolate chip cookie dough bars with ice cream for dessert. yum!

Back