Dinged my airplane-fiberglass repair.

Sluggo63

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Sluggo63
Pushing my Cherokee 6 back into my hangar I scraped the right stabilator tip on some metal shelving we have against the wall. I scraped it deep enough to get through the laminate/gel coat/epoxy, but the weave is still intact. It's about a 5 inch scrape.

I was thinking about taking to either a auto repair or boat repair shop and just have it filled in, sanded and re-painted. There is no structural damage. It really was just a glancing scrape.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• photo(2).JPG
    photo(2).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 99
  • photo(3).JPG
    photo(3).JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 89
sounds like a plan.:)

What will the boat repair shop write in the log book?
They do not have to write any thing.

the owner can repair non structure aerodynamic fairings. see FAR 43-A (c )

(9) Refinishing decorative coating of fuselage, balloon baskets, wings tail group surfaces (excluding balanced control surfaces), fairings, cowlings, landing gear, cabin, or cockpit interior when removal or disassembly of any primary structure or operating system is not required.

Last edited:

(9) Refinishing decorative coating of fuselage, balloon baskets, wings tail group surfaces (excluding balanced control surfaces), fairings, cowlings, landing gear, cabin, or cockpit interior when removal or disassembly of any primary structure or operating system is not required.
That's how I read it, both (9) and

(12) Making small simple repairs to fairings, nonstructural cover plates, cowlings, and small patches and reinforcements not changing the contour so as to interfere with proper air flow.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Consider removing the one on the other side and painting them together. You'll be surprised how much one side repainted will stand out.

It's not that difficult to repair fiberglass. I actually enjoy it. Might be a good time to learn how to do it. :dunno:

Looks like you might need to layup the inside for strength, and use Super Fill to smooth out the outside.

Painting is the trick for me anyway. I have back luck with incompatible paints and bubbling paint when working on old stuff. A good painter will make it look new.

The damage here is part of a balanced control surface. It moves with the stabilitator.

Not saying that a minor repair and refinishing job by a marine shop would have any negative effect on the airplane.

Last edited:
The damage here is part of a balanced control surface. It moves with the stabilitator.

Not saying that a minor repair and refinishing job by a marine shop would have any negative effect on the airplane.

Fiber glass tips are not considered structure.

Consider removing the one on the other side and painting them together. You'll be surprised how much one side repainted will stand out.
That's a great idea. Thanks.

It's not that difficult to repair fiberglass. I actually enjoy it. Might be a good time to learn how to do it. :dunno:

Looks like you might need to layup the inside for strength, and use Super Fill to smooth out the outside.

Painting is the trick for me anyway. I have back luck with incompatible paints and bubbling paint when working on old stuff. A good painter will make it look new.
I'd love to, but since I'm in a partnership, I want to get this thing back in the air as quickly as I can.

Check around on your field for any experimental builders. Obviously composite guys could fix it in three steps of about 20 minutes each. RV guys may take a little longer....;)
Would depend on their progress with canopy or cowls or wheelpants or tail fairings.

I'd love to, but since I'm in a partnership, I want to get this thing back in the air as quickly as I can.

Why quit flying it? let it go until the annual. Every body does it, then complains about the cost of the annual. :)

You can also get colored gel coat and fill the scratch then sand and buff it in.

Back