Digital AFD Download Script

btorrenga

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
btorrenga
I have written a script that will download all the individual pages of a given AFD, and then combine them all into a single PDF file. It wil work for any of the AFD volumes, or even compile all of the volumes with a single command. The script is written for bash, and works under linux. It requires wget and pdftk (the PDF toolkit). I'm sure the script is very ugly by any standard, but it works. This was my first attempt at using loops...

If anyone is interested in getting a copy of it, just let me know. If you don't know what a bash script or linux is, then it probably won't be any help to you. Comments or improvements on the script are of course welcome!

--Brent

Have you got the logic in there to say "Airport X" is on Page 213 of the SE A/FD?

I can get the pages, I just have trouble figuring out which pages to grab!

Have you got the logic in there to say "Airport X" is on Page 213 of the SE A/FD?

I can get the pages, I just have trouble figuring out which pages to grab!

No, I don't have anything like that. The resulting PDF will have all the pages in the printed AFD (less a few miscellaneous pages that don't seem to be online, does anyone know why?), though, so you could just open the file in acrobat (or whatever PDF reader) and use the search function to find the identifier. It would then probably flip over to page 213. Hmm, you could even modify the script to combine ALL the pages from ALL the AFDs, so it would flip to page 2013. A big file, for sure, since each AFD PDF comes out to around 20MB, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

The script deletes the individual downloaded PDFs when it is finished combining them, though you could just comment out the appropriate line to keep them.

Back