Digiscoping?

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
I thought I would start a thread about digi-scoping to get some ideas on equipment, cameras, scopes, tri-pods, ect.

I'm looking at getting a scope and have several in mind, but want to know what you all are using.

Digiscoping is shooting digital pictures through a spotting scope.

Any birders out there in POA land digiscoping?

For birding I use a Nikon 400mm f2.8 and a 300mm f2.8. Never tried digiscoping. I would think getting an eagle in flight would be very difficult with a scope. Static shots may work well though.

Sorry, haven't tried. For long shots I have a Sony A33 with a 70-400mm F/4 zoom. If you are talking about holding the camera lens from a little camera up to a spotting scope, I've never had any really good results trying things like that. Yeah, it works but you need a lot of light and a pretty still subject and the results are of an acceptable image quality, but it's an impractical PITA IMO.

For birding I use a Nikon 400mm f2.8 and a 300mm f2.8. Never tried digiscoping. I would think getting an eagle in flight would be very difficult with a scope. Static shots may work well though.

*sigh* I wish I could still carry those lenses, but after my neck surgery, NFW. When I spotted this Sony G 70-400 4-5.6 lens in Amsterdam, I figured I'd give it a shot. So far reasonably impressed with it and the image stabilization kinda makes up for losing a couple stops of light. The glass is pretty dang good quality for image clarity especially for a zoom. It ain't my Nikkor EDIFs, but it's not so far off that I'm disappointed.

Only birdwatching I do is making sure I don't run into a goose or some other big flying beast.

Dan

I thought I would start a thread about digi-scoping to get some ideas on equipment, cameras, scopes, tri-pods, ect.

I'm looking at getting a scope and have several in mind, but want to know what you all are using.

Digiscoping is shooting digital pictures through a spotting scope.

Any birders out there in POA land digiscoping?
Sorry I didn't respond. I thought digi-scoping had something to do with my last colonscopy. :goofy:

I use a little different set up. I use my cell phone and spotting scope to take pretty good videos and pictures. The adaptor to make it work consistently is Smart Optix. You can learn more about them at www.smartoptix.com. In short, it fits all phones and all scopes or binos. It has worked well for me. Hope that helps. Thanks

I use a little different set up. I use my cell phone and spotting scope to take pretty good videos and pictures. The adaptor to make it work consistently is Smart Optix. You can learn more about them at www.smartoptix.com. In short, it fits all phones and all scopes or binos. It has worked well for me. Hope that helps. Thanks

Wow, first post, and it's on my thread. It's an honor! :D

Welcome to POA.

Back