Difficulty Picking Up My Clearance

rmlewisjr

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Rich
The last three times I've tried to get my clearance prior to departure I've had a problem.

Here is my situation; I'm at my home drone (W75) I call up Norfolk on the GCO. The exchange will go something like this. "Good morning, N36AF is at W75 departing RW1, I would like to pick up my clearance to KGAI, I'm number one for departure." Reply from Norfolk "We don't see your clearance, since you are going north you need to call Potomac."

So I call Potomac, and get: "You are at W75, that's not our airspace, you should be calling Norfolk."

I'm starting to see a pattern here. Anyone in this “august body” know what I should do?:dunno:

mmmmm yup.
File a written complaint with the FSDO for your area calling it a flight safety issue.
Send it by USPS certified letter with return receipt asking for a written reply with a copy to your US Senator's office
(when they have to sign for it they will NOT 'lose it')
Get some peanuts and beer and a comfy chair and watch the feathers fly.

Nothing I like better in this world than watching two agencies of the government go at it, hammers and tongs.

Have you called either by phone? You may want to speak to a QA person at Norfolk. Even if they don't have it, they should be able to coordinate with Potomac the clearance and release. It may just be a case of new people who don't quite get it.

No need to get Senators involved at this point.

Sending a certified letter to the FSDO is uncalled for and inappropriate -- if nothing else, it's not their department -- it's an ATO problem, not Flight Standards. First step is to call Norfolk TRACON at 757-363-5864, ask to speak to a supervisor, and discuss the issues with that person.

The approach plate (shocked when I found we had one) lists norfolk as approach control. I am now shocked that we have a GCO - what is the frequency?

W75 is a second home drome for me, my parents live on Indian Creek. I fly in several times each summer to do some fishing.

At my first home drome I have a bit of a similar situation. Raleigh is listed on the plate but fayetteville is close. If I am getting a clearance from the ground, I call Raleigh.

Getting one in the air I call up FAY if i'm headed in that direction. Otherwise raleigh.

Call Norfolk during the business day and ask for the QA or Supervisor and pose your question. It certainly sounds like they should be handling your clearance regardless of your direction of flight.

I can understand how it is. When they rejiggered the CLT airspace our field went from being under Atlanta Center, who I could raise on the ground and is very accommodating, to CLT approach which is grandly unreachable (and won't relay even to ZTL when they ask). Since I rarely depart IFR from the grass strip with no approach in real low conditions, I just file fora point a few miles north of my strip that I know is ZTL-land and pick up in the air.

The approach plate (shocked when I found we had one) lists norfolk as approach control. I am now shocked that we have a GCO - what is the frequency?
It's one of the ground link systems. I'll get the frequency a little later. (I've got it in the car.) Jim and Rick have a handout in the trailer with the instructions. Two clicks calls FSS four clicks calls Norfolk.

The GCO frequency at W75 is 135.075.

Sending a certified letter to the FSDO is uncalled for and inappropriate -- if nothing else, it's not their department -- it's an ATO problem, not Flight Standards. First step is to call Norfolk TRACON at 757-363-5864, ask to speak to a supervisor, and discuss the issues with that person.

I looked in the TFMS and W75 is in Norfolk's airspace. This is the best place to call, ask for an OM and explain the operations issue, then ask him to liase with procedures/training.

Back