Difficulty breaking in

MattyG

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Matt
Hi Everyone,

So I've been lurking on this forum for awhile and am definitely interested in getting my PPL. I live in Buffalo, NY and have called and emailed Prior Aviation, a local flight school, and have received no reply. I also emailed the Western New York Flying Club and was asked who referred me to them. When I told them that no one referred me, I just found their website, the communication ended there.

Is it normally this hard to get into flying? Does anyone have any advice on how to break in? I'm considering going to one of these places in person but they don't seem too open to new students, so I'm not sure what the proper approach is. I don't know any pilots, so unfortunately I don't know of any way to get a referral to a flight school/club.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

It isn't normal, but there are some aviation business that are bad at customer service.. Just like any other... It can be tough to find the place you want to learn from, especially when you don't know anyone yet.. Maybe a local will chime in and help with a recommendation.

Maybe a local will chime in and help with a recommendation.

That is what I'm hoping.

I just realized I posted this in the wrong section - mods pleas feel free to move this to Flight Following or Pilot Training.

As Sam said, aviation is really no different than any other industry to get a response from. That being said, from my experience working as a CSR at a flight school, it makes things easier if you come in. Depending on the size of the school, they may have someone that can talk to you for a while and show you around, but if not you'll definitely get a meeting scheduled. Again, if you're not even able to get a meeting, then it's just a crap business that you don't want to deal with, and not indicative of aviation as a whole.

As a bit of a preview as to what to expect, this is generally what we'd do, regardless of a walk-in (time and resource permitting) or a scheduled meeting: We'd sit down and do the introductions, and focus on discussing your interests and what you want to get out of flying; Such as just for fun, for family trips, for business, or for a career. Based on how that was answered, we'd do a basic overview of the various pilot certificate levels, as well as our various aircraft and the pros/cons regarding each as they would apply to your goal. We'd then take you on a tour of the facility, with a focus on the specific aircraft you may want to use, and of course letting you sit in them. (We'd also always make sure to show off our maintenance facility in passing, as that was a large step above our competitors, and would help ease the inevitable fears of general aviation and "small airplanes" which the media has instilled in the masses.) We'd complete the tour with a bit of time in our full-motion simulator which could be set-up just like any of the aircraft you would be using, so you could see the differences in action. This would conclude in, hopefully, setting up a discovery flight to get you some hands-on time actually flying and beginning the journey.

I know this doesn't directly address your issue with getting someone to talk to, but hopefully it will help in your search. I you do go to the local schools and they don't treat you in a similar manner and don't seem receptive to a new student, then it's my opinion that you probably shouldn't give them your business/money.

Last edited:
It *shouldn't* be that hard to get into flying. Sadly, many flight schools and FBOs are neither friendly, inviting, nor customer service-oriented.

A quick google search turned up Clear Air Aviation, but I know nothing about them.

Find your local flight schools,and visit them in person.after conversations with the owner and flight instructors,then make a decision. Most flight schools prefer in person interviews since 911.

First welcome to POA, second no it's not normal to receive such poor customer service, sorry to hear you experienced it. I know we have some western New York pilots here and hopefully they will chime in with some suggestions soon. Until then call the club back perhaps someone just had a brain fart it happens.

Hey Matt!

As someone who has helped start a flight school I can tell you first hand that they are foolish for not pursuing your business and making sure your questions are answered. That's a shame. On the other hand, drive out to the airport! Meet the folks that run the school and shake hands with them. When I was trying to get my seaplane add-on the school ignored my calls and e-mails for over a couple months. Suddenly I got an e-mail reply saying, "Thanks for contacting us! We've been closed for the season and will be opening up at the end of March! We'd love to have you with us."

Keep in mind that the school owners MAY be elder and less accustomed to using e-mail as a primary means of conducting business. That's why you've gotta get out there and shake hands. Meet fellow student pilots, go sit in the planes, take pictures, etc. You may just leave with your name on the schedule to fly the next day or this weekend! That would be exciting wouldn't it??

FWIW, I checked on Prior Aviation at Buffalo, NY on AirNav.com; past user comments were almost all negative. Now it's common that there'll be a few negative comments and/or bad experiences anywhere but it's rare that the comments will be ALL negative. Personally if the place is close I'd go there in person and ask to speak with the head of the flight training department but if he didn't leap over the desk to shake my hand and welcome me I'd look elsewhere.

Just as these other great guys/girls have said, it's best to go visit instead of call. Unfortunately aviation is well behind the curve when it comes to modern forms of communication. But think about it another way. If you were operating a flight based anything what would you be doing? Answering phones? Nope, you'd be flying, or out on the ramp thinking about flying. It is also tough finding good, and inviting places for aviation. Then depending on your location, there may be few options nearby. Many of the flying clubs are transient, seasonal, or don't stay open very long.

Just keep searching, and go out and try and meet some people. It took me a year of poking around and asking everyone I found questions about where to go for this and that. Finally I talked to a guy who was helping build the new Skyport in San Marcos and I was IN!

It's worth the effort, because once you get in with a few people there, all you'll want to do, is go out to the airport so you can look at planes and talk about flying all day and they'll all be out there waiting for you because they were thinking the same thing. :yes: We all love this stuff!

Last edited:
Matt -- when I flew out of WNY, Buffalo Airfield (9G0) had a fairly active flight school. The airport changed hands when the owner passed and I would check to see if they offer training. I believe it is under Lindsay Aviation (716-668-4900) and they show flight training all the way up to ATP.

I don't know the status of Prior today, but I did rent planes from them in the past and wasn't overly impressed with them.

As a former WNY native, I know the economic situation isn't the greatest and I suspect some of the schools in the area are now closed. Depending on how far you are willing to travel, I would check out Buffalo-Lancaster Regional (KBQR) Bob Miller Flight Training 716-206-0096 (Western NY Flying Club is listed there as well -- but I wonder if they are a club and not really a flight school), Akron (9G3), Christian Airmen, Inc. (716-542-4607) and Hamburg (4G2) at 716-627-2440.

Good luck and welcome to the club!

Welcome, and good luck getting everything sorted out and getting in the air!

Matt,

Not normal, but unfortunately, not all that uncommon either. I don't know anything about the Western NY Flying Club, but as the membership chairman and a director for my Syracuse-based flying club, I can tell you that I nearly always respond to every e-mail inquiry within 12 hours. Three quarters of the time, I never hear another word, but that's ok. If this club declined to offer any helpful information, shame on them.

Try going by the airport on a bad-weather day. On a nice day, if it's a small operation, everyone is probably out flying.

E-mail is a mixed bag. It's my preferred form of communication, but as someone else mentioned, if the business operators are older folks, they may not be fluent with it. I too have had mixed results e-mailing aviation businesses. A prompt answer almost seems the exception rather than the rule. Not that it's good business practice, but several times, I've gotten e-mailed responses weeks after my initial contact.

Now, if you want to come to Syracuse for your training, I can set you up...:)

It's a shame that so many aviation businesses are so unprofessional (ie not answering calls/emails).

It's almost like construction contractors/general contractors. (Ie always late, and probably don't even have an email account)

Wow, thank you all for the replies. You guys are awesome!! This forum has been incredibly informative and I appreciate all of you sharing your knowledge and experience.

I've reached out to Clear Air Aviation, LLC in Buffalo - their website seems to indicate that they are interested in taking on new students. If I don't get a reply, then I will try showing up in person on a bad weather day as BrianR suggested.

I'll let you guys know how I make out!

You might try one of the first two of these: https://plus.google.com/local/Lake View, NY/s/Flight School?gl=us&hl=en

Also, contact Joel at NEPG (left pane, Organizers) and tell him Aunt Peggy sent you. He is close to Albany, but knows lots of people in the area. http://www.meetup.com/NEPilotsGroup/

There are other small airports south of Buffalo that might have instructors or a flight school. You'll just have to find the airports and drive there to talk to people. http://vfrmap.com/?type=vfrc&lat=42.940&lon=-78.731&zoom=10

KBQR - Buffalo-Lancaster Regional Airport
4G2 - Hamburg Inc Airport
9G0 - Buffalo Airfield
KDKK - Chautauqua County/Dunkirk Airport
KIAG - Niagara Falls International Airport
0G0 - North Buffalo Suburban Airport

Wow, thank you Peggy!!

I actually heard back from Clear Air Aviation, LLC today and their going to have one of their instructors call me back to setup my Discovery Flight. The guy that called was super nice, answered all of my questions, and I also have my medical clearance exam scheduled. It's finally happening!!!

Thanks again for all of your advice and suggestions!

Back