Difficult to find a full time job as CFI?

Would you know typically how many TT hours are required for these single pilot jobs? And provide a possible current example..i.e. job posting.

I'd like to read the pilot requirements. Thanks.

Go to climbto350

Here are the FAR requirements for pt135, though insurance or clients may require more hours.

PIC requirements:
  • VFR:
    Commercial Pilot with instrument rating or ATP
    500 TT, 100 XC, 25 night XC

IFR:
    Commercial Pilot with instrument rating or ATP
    1200TT, 500 XC, 100 night, 75 instrument (of which 50 are in flight)

I've read stories about low hours pilots landing night cargo jobs...of course these probably are the few exceptions. I'm realistic however and would expect the normal hiring opportunities. This is why I said 'possibly'. With 10K POA messages I'd hope you knew what you are talking about. Thanks.
There are not as many of those jobs as there used to be. Up until about 10 years or so ago, there were fleets of small light singles and Twins flying bank checks. If you were an introvert who didn't mind keeping vampire hours and some IFR excitement, this was the job for you, provided you survived the experience. Questionable maintenance and an expectation to fly in questionable weather killed more than a few freight dogs. Nowadays checks are processed electronically so the demand for these types of cargo flights decreased significantly.

There are not as many of those jobs as there used to be. Up until about 10 years or so ago, there were fleets of small light singles and Twins flying bank checks. If you were an introvert who didn't mind keeping vampire hours and some IFR excitement, this was the job for you, provided you survived the experience. Questionable maintenance and an expectation to fly in questionable weather killed more than a few freight dogs. Nowadays checks are processed electronically so the demand for these types of cargo flights decreased significantly.

If you're willing to fly crap planes on below min weather, your time on earth is limited anyways

Nope, do it all the time. I used to run a music studio where we had teachers on 1099. We supplied the room and the equipment they supplied themselves. We charged a rate to the customer and they got a portion of that rate.

As I said - probably - don't know why it so difficult for people to properly interpret what was said....

I got away with it as well as many others until a former employee asked the IRS to do a SS-8 evaluation.

I didn't intentionally get away with it per se, just did what others did and I as I also did as a employee myself.

I believed I was following the law, the IRS decided otherwise.

I would be willing to bet that most flight instructors would receive a similar determination if they asked for one based on my experience. In any event, it is really easy for the doubters to say whatever - if you are so confident of your position then ask the IRS for a SS-8 determination and put up the results.

Last edited:
I took the CFI-A in Georgetown Texas a few weeks ago. I was offered a job on the spot as soon I get a CFI cert. I just meet a couple of young pilots who both got jobs as low timers in Alaska. Both were flying 135 pretty early on. And so far, they haven't been killed.

As an Enrolled Agent, don't get me started on cash only DPE's!

I would be willing to bet that most flight instructors would receive a similar determination if they asked for one based on my experience. In any event, it is really easy for the doubters to say whatever - if you are so confident of your position then ask the IRS for a SS-8 determination and put up the results.

Probably correct but most need the job and the hours, so they don't complain. Normal. It takes a triggering event.

Back