Different Limitations for the same model?

JC150

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
JC150
I was flying with my friend in his Arrow III to go pick up my Arrow III from the shop. I asked why he reduces his RPM to 2500 after takeoff and he said because he cannot maintain 2700RPM for more than 5 minutes.

After we landed, I looked in his POH and sure enough it says there's a limitation of no more than 2700RPM for more than 5 minutes. Now, I always run my arrow III at 2700RPM until I level off at cruise, so I checked my POH to the same page, and it's not there.

I also compared some other numbers. His POH says he can run 100 and 100LL. Mine says 100LL and 130 - Green. Also the propeller diameters are different. Then I noticed he has a later revision than my POH. Does this mean my POH is not legal and the aircraft is "unairworthy"?

Both of our arrows were made in the same year. Thanks

Last edited:
Does he have a different prop?

Ours are both normally aspirated so we both have lycomings. Same year, same everything. I'd have to measure his prop. But his revision says the prop should be an inch longer. Where can I get the latest POH revision?

Type Certificate Data Sheet

I don't see a 5-minute limitation for any Arrow IIIs. There is one for the Arrow IV only for certain serial numbers. The propellers are different. The one with the 5-minute limit has a longer propeller.

Type Certificate Data Sheet

I don't see a 5-minute limitation for any Arrow IIIs. There is one for the Arrow IV only for certain serial numbers. The propellers are different. The one with the 5-minute limit has a longer propeller.
Makes one wonder if the Arrow III POH with the 5 min limitation is actually for an Arrow IV.

Back