Different Dosages?

G

I'm currently trying to get a first class medical but don't understand the "recurrent, unmonitored, and untreated" clause. I have been on two different dosages of the same medicine, but it was monitored. Meaning, I decreased the dosage then increased it (one time). Now I'm off the meds and being evaluated by my psychiatrist. However, the dosages were monitored by my psychiatrist. Is this considered recurrent and disqualifying?

It depends. The FAA as softened it's stance of some of the strict disqualifiers related to depression and anxiety. However, what medication you were on, how long you were treated, how frequently the dose was changed, what the dose what, what the underlying diagnosis was, and what was going on in your life at the time you were under treatment remain important factors.

If you were on a single antidepressant and had the doses changed a few times in the course of your treatment, that factor alone should not adversely affect you application for an FAA medical.

...but if your duration was 5 years or more you will have difficulty. Current thinking is, "five years is a long time. The docs didn't stop the meds because they were fearful of recurrence".

That having been said I have succeded (ONCE, but once) with a fellow who had been on a single med for 13 years. It's all "Cases".

Back