Differences between Sport Pilot certificate and solo endorsement.

LandSickness

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
fri tale
So what exactly is the difference between having a Sport Pilot certificate and having a CFI endorse you to solo other than the one passenger you're allowed? Is the solo endorsement actually a PIC endorsement or is it purely you're in the aircraft alone? I know the SP certificate is a cert and solo isn't, what are some of the other differences?

I didn't want to hijack a separate thread, but some of the replies caused me to consider this question.

Added: Besides the obvious, being further in your training :D, what I meant to ask was, are the flying rights the same?

1. Think
2. Type

Last edited:
Well, it depends somewhat on how the instructor endorses you for solo. See this site for some of the restrictions on the solo endorsement:
http://www.faa.gov/pilots/become/student_cert/
If I solo in more than one make or model of aircraft, must I have an endorsement for each on my student pilot certificate? If so, who should endorse the certificate?

Yes. Your flight instructor must make this endorsement before you solo in each make or model of aircraft.

Does the endorsement to solo allow me to make solo cross-country flights?

No. You also have to get a cross-country flight endorsement from you flight instructor.
They may also put restrictions on your endorsement about the airports you can visit and the weather conditions in which you can fly (e.g. winds must be less than 7 knots, or no more than 5 knots crosswind component). And the solo endorsement is only good for 90 days. And cross country flights need an instructor signoff before every flight.
http://flighttraining.aopa.org/pdfs/ac61_65e.pdf

Solo endorsements "expire".

Solo does not include unlimited cross country flight.

As you mention, you can carry one extra body.

With the S.P. you don't need the instructior "supervision".

As others have said, with a solo endorsement you are a student, under the care, feeding and supervision of an instructor. An instructor that will surely have to have a little talk with the FAA if you get yourself in trouble. Most instructors don't particularly want lifetime students because of the exposure.

As a sport pilot, you are largely responsible for your own actions. It takes a major fskup to get your ex-instructor and/or DPE called in for something you did wrong once you have a pilot's certificate.

So what exactly is the difference between having a Sport Pilot certificate and having a CFI endorse you to solo other than the one passenger you're allowed?
You can start by comparing the priviliges and limitations of each in the regulations. For Student Pilots, see 61.89, and for Sport Pilots see 61.315. The most significant difference is that as a Student Pilot, pretty much everything you do has to be supervised to one degree or another by a CFI, while a Sport Pilot is pretty much independent other than a flight review (or equivalent, such as completion of a Wings phase) every two years.

Is the solo endorsement actually a PIC endorsement or is it purely you're in the aircraft alone?
The solo endorser authorizes you to fly solo, which means being PIC when alone, as well as being able to log that solo time as PIC time. However, you cannot act as PIC or log PIC time with anyone else in the plane until you get that Sport Pilot certificate.

I know the SP certificate is a cert and solo isn't, what are some of the other differences?
Another issue for Student Pilots with their own plane is that at some point (usually between 100 and 200 hours), the insurer will start thinking the Student is deliberately avoiding the practical test due to concern that s/he can't pass it, and the insurers will stop covering them.

With a solo endorsement, you cannot fly more than 25 nm from your home airport, or land at another airport, without being signed off for that one specific flight right before you go. I believe you can be singed off for regular solo flights to another airport within 25 nm. Your CFI can add any restriction he wants. I was restricted to 2000 feet cloud ceilings and 5 kt x-wind component for the first 90 days, and 7 kt after that. I was also restricted to pattern only until I did a practice area checkout. It's really just a stepping stone in training.

Another issue for Student Pilots with their own plane is that at some point (usually between 100 and 200 hours), the insurer will start thinking the Student is deliberately avoiding the practical test due to concern that s/he can't pass it, and the insurers will stop covering them.

How often have you seen that happen?

\__[Ô]__/;1018730 said:
Maybe a couple-three times. But I can't think of ever meeting a Student Pilot with over 200 hours, his/her own plane, and no insurance problem.

Maybe a couple-three times. But I can't think of ever meeting a Student Pilot with over 200 hours, his/her own plane, and no insurance problem.
Hello. I had nearly 300 hours before getting my certificate, my own airplane, and no insurance problems. Nice to meet you.

Now that I'm not renewing my medical, there are insurance problems because the insurance company won't insure me for any flight that is not dual instruction.

Last edited:
\__[Ô]__/;1018730 said:

I know a part owner of a glider on a student certificate. After 2 years and no progress towards completing the private glider certificate, the insurance company would not renew coverage on the student.

Hello. I had nearly 300 hours before getting my certificate, my own airplane, and no insurance problems. Nice to meet you.

Now that I'm not renewing my medical, there are insurance problems because the insurance company won't insure me for any flight that is not dual instruction.

Does the airplane qualify for LSA?

If you're looking for a more cooperative insurance company, send me a pm. Mine gave me a better rate for getting a pp cert rather than a sport pilot and has no issue with me lapsing my 3rd class medical and flying with sp privileges.

Back