Differen color for threads visited

Palmpilot

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Palm
Different color for threads visited

I notice that POA doesn't display a different color on threads that I have previously visited, like the purple and red boards do. Is there a user-accessible setting for that?

Last edited:
I notice this, too. I returned specifically to this sub-forum to see if anyone had answered you. I hope this "Bump" helps get an answer.

I am specifically and categorically against anything that makes any more work for those who run this site.

I notice that POA doesn't display a different color on threads that I have previously visited, like the purple and red boards do. Is there a user-accessible setting for that?

On Firefox, there appears to be something different about a thread previously visited. It appears to be entirely a function of the browser. That is, I don't think the site keeps track of it.

For example, when displaying new posts. If I visit a thread and then reload the new post page (instead of doing a new post search) the visited threads are no longer bolded. Sure, it's not a different color, but it is still visually distinct.

Re: Different color for threads visited

I am specifically and categorically against anything that makes any more work for those who run this site.

I'm not asking for a new feature to be created. I'm asking if the feature already exists and if there's a way I can activate it.

Last edited:

On Firefox, there appears to be something different about a thread previously visited. It appears to be entirely a function of the browser. That is, I don't think the site keeps track of it.

For example, when displaying new posts. If I visit a thread and then reload the new post page (instead of doing a new post search) the visited threads are no longer bolded. Sure, it's not a different color, but it is still visually distinct.

I tried that on Firefox, and I see what you mean. Internet Explorer (version 8) does the same thing.

That's different from the feature I'm asking about. The feature you're referring to tells you which threads you have visited since the last time you did a new thread search. The feature I'm talking about is the one where it shows you which threads you have EVER visited previously, even on previous browsing sessions. It exists on the red and purple boards, and those boards appear to be based on the same software that this one is, so I was hoping that the feature existed here and I just needed to find the menu option to turn it on.

The bold vs. not-bold is for whether or not there are new posts in a thread and is handled by vBulletin, not the browser. If you do what you described above and reload the new posts page again, it'll once again be bold and have the little blue check mark next to it.

If there is a way to color what threads have been previously viewed, I'd really like to see it added.

The bold vs. not-bold is for whether or not there are new posts in a thread and is handled by vBulletin, not the browser. If you do what you described above and reload the new posts page again, it'll once again be bold and have the little blue check mark next to it.

If there is a way to color what threads have been previously viewed, I'd really like to see it added.

No doubt I have the terminology wrong. When I go to the POA home page, I then click on the "new post" link up near the top of the page. I then read a thread (I usually ctrl-click to open the thread in new tab. When I close that tab, the new post page is unchanged. If I reload it (not search for new posts), then the threads will no longer be bold and the little V will be missing.

No doubt I have the terminology wrong. When I go to the POA home page, I then click on the "new post" link up near the top of the page. I then read a thread (I usually ctrl-click to open the thread in new tab. When I close that tab, the new post page is unchanged. If I reload it (not search for new posts), then the threads will no longer be bold and the little V will be missing.

No, you have the terminology absolutely correct, and I know the exact behavior you're talking about. Since "New Posts" is actually a search, but once you load it there's a specific search ID, after you reload it you're getting the same results, but since you've visited that particular thread and it's read, it's no longer bold. If you go to the main PoA forum page, pick a particular forum such as Site Feedback and Support, you'll see the same thing - Threads you've marked read (either by reading them, choosing "mark all read", or not reading them but it's been over a week since any new posts in them) will not be bold. Threads that have new posts you haven't read will be bold.

It would be nice, though, if you could go to New Posts and the threads you've previously visited would be a different color - That way you could keep up with them.

"Power User" tip: I always visit the User Control Panel (User CP, upper left) before new posts. That gives me a list of all the threads I'm subscribed to with new posts in them, so I can continue responding to threads I'm already participating in. When I've read those, if I have time, THEN I'll go to New Posts and see if there's anything new that I haven't participated in. If there's a thread that's particularly interesting, I may manually subscribe to it (under "thread tools") so that it shows up in the User CP as well.

Bold vs non-bold is good enough for me. If you have issues with that, perhaps you might want to see an optho before your next medical. :)

Bold vs non-bold is good enough for me. If you have issues with that, perhaps you might want to see an optho before your next medical. :)

I think the request here is different, Ed, if I'm understanding it correctly:

Bold and blue: Unread, never read.
Bold and, say, Magenta: Unread messages in a thread previously visited.
Not bold: All read.

I didn't even notice the different colors on the red board until it was mentioned here. I guess I just remember which threads I've read. Guess Alzheimer's hasn't started setting in yet like it has with some. :)

The bold by itself would be fine if I wanted to read ALL the threads that have new posts in them.

Usually, that's not what I want to do. I usually only want to read threads that I have been following which have new posts. That's easy to do on the purple and red boards. Here, I have to scan all of the bold thread titles, looking for ones I'm following, which is labor-intensive, and sometimes I miss one.

It's not a big deal. I was just asking if there is a way for the user to turn that feature on. If there isn't, fine, I'll just continue doing it the way I have been doing it, and maybe I'll try out the subscribed threads feature that Kent described.

Last edited:

I didn't even notice the different colors on the red board until it was mentioned here. I guess I just remember which threads I've read. Guess Alzheimer's hasn't started setting in yet like it has with some. :)

I don't have any trouble remembering which threads I've read. It's just faster and more reliable if I don't have to read every thread title in the list looking for the few that I'm interested in.

So I never did get an answer to my question: Is there an option that I can set to turn this feature on?

"Power User" tip: I always visit the User Control Panel (User CP, upper left) before new posts. That gives me a list of all the threads I'm subscribed to with new posts in them, so I can continue responding to threads I'm already participating in. When I've read those, if I have time, THEN I'll go to New Posts and see if there's anything new that I haven't participated in. If there's a thread that's particularly interesting, I may manually subscribe to it (under "thread tools") so that it shows up in the User CP as well.

This turned out to solve my problem, with the addition that I went to the "Edit Options" page in my control panel, and under "Default Thread Subscription Mode," I set it to automatically subscribe to any thread that I post in. You can do this either with or without email notification. (I use the thread tools menu of an individual thread if I want to subscribe to it without posting to it.)

Just click the little check icon next to the thread title. It will take you to any unread posts in that thread.

I usually do this from the "New Posts" screen. If I completed a thread, it doesn't show in the list.

You can't change it as a user. It's done via the styling options that the administrators have access to. This forum is running a rather older version of vB but the AOPA forum isn't appreciably more up to date (and the purple board is older). I can see where to change it on my 4.8 vB board I administer, but it looking at the emitted source code, the styling on the thread bits is completely different between the major versions.

Just click the little check icon next to the thread title. It will take you to any unread posts in that thread.

I usually do this from the "New Posts" screen. If I completed a thread, it doesn't show in the list.

That doesn't address the question I had, but it's OK, because the subscription feature is sufficient for my purposes.

That doesn't address the question I had, but it's OK, because the subscription feature is sufficient for my purposes.

Yes, thats the part that makes it work. I use auto subscribe and no email

...and when I login, first thing I do is goto usercp and all threads I am participating in are listed. Click on the little icon to goto 1st unread. After thats done. Goto new posts

Back