Did You Know? METARS

Tristar

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Tristar
Every pilot and even student for that matter has been exposed to a METAR Roughly translated from the French as METeorlogical Aviation Routine weather Reports. A METAR is of course the hourly surface weather observation that’s issued 5 minutes before the hour and available to the aviation community and used by the National weather service to determine an airports flying conditions (IFR,MVFR, VFR). You can obtain these from a variety of places both online and by phone. This is the basic knowledge of what ground school consists of on this topic other than deciphering its acronyms. Although as a pilot, sometimes its nice to know a little about how these services came to be without going too much into detail. Funny enough, the change to our current acronym of METAR is fairly recent.

Before the current interpretation of weather data, there were two formats and in rough terms it was “us and them” or rather to be more precise, the North American countries and the rest of the world. We were using SAO or “Surface Aviation Observation” (which was adopted in the 1950s) while the rest of the world was using the currently known METAR or “Meteorlogical aviation routine weather reports.” The FAA, who determines aviation requirements in the US, was becoming increasingly aware that we were expanding our horizons with international flights and pilots alike. This in turn created a strong need to standardize weather report interpretations internationally.

The National Weather Service wrote that beginning July 1st, the United states standardized the weather reports into what we now know as METARS. Although to lessen the stress on US aviation citizens, the metric system was kept to a minimum, example being the winds were kept in knots instead of meters per second, visibility in miles, altimeter settings in inches of mercury instead of hectoPascals and RVR will continue in feet. Temperatures, although, will be converted to Celsius to allow for better conversions. The biggest change is stated simply to the order in which elements are reported. Which in my opinion is great because of how I was taught but almost seems to defeat the idea of international standardization?

So in a sense, although the attempt at standardizing weather code from SAO to METAR is apparent, the actual translation is not substantial. Oh and for those of you who are students or pilots that don’t like translating code, there is a reason and a cure. First off do realize that METARs are always originated in code and probably will be for a while. The reason seems to be that with the vast amount of changes and updates to weather reports would overload the system. The great news is that now it is possible to translate the code online either through request from sites such as NOAA or by looking up the code yourself which will put it in simple English. Sometimes this helps those who are new to learn the code and not miss anything during preflight weather preparations.

Sources: www.nws.noaa.gov/oso/oso1/oso12/overview.htm
http://www.alaska.faa.gov/fai/afss/metar%20taf/metintro.htm
(Also a good source for additional info and abbreviation translations.)

Fly safe,
Tristan

I was wondering when it changed. I had never gotten around to looking it up. When I was first learning how to fly in England I was learning all the old US airspace stuff. That was 1984/5 and I also had to learn all the English stuff too. When I got active again in the late 1990's everything had changed. But that is ok as I had forgotten most of it anyways.

Thanks for the background.

Thanks for the history.

Despite breathing aviation most of my waking hours, I still find contractions I don't know in the RMK section of METARS and PIREPS or NOTAMS. I also here call signs for other planes, like "Bluestripe 123" (United Express) or "Skier 123" (National Guard C130 ski planes), or "Brickyard 123" (Republic). I recently found the single source of all this aviation trivia at:

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/orders_notices/air_traffic_orders/media/7340.1Y.pdf
Make sure you have a high speed connection, and then amaze and astound your friends with your knowledge of aviation trivia.

Ahhhh, the metric system. Remember all those highway speed limit signs that had both the MPH and KMPH limits? Wonder how much all that cost? Haven't seen one in years.

I also miss the 64oz (glass) bottles of soda. 2 liter bottles -- who needs 'em?!

Still trying to figure out how I got a smart girl like that.

Ahhhh, the metric system. Remember all those highway speed limit signs that had both the MPH and KMPH limits? Wonder how much all that cost? Haven't seen one in years.

I also miss the 64oz (glass) bottles of soda. 2 liter bottles -- who needs 'em?!
You can still find some auto guages in KPH, I believe the old Mercedes had them but in order to own them you had to have them shipped to the US. If I have my history correct, the US wanted all factory sold cars MPH modified. It seems that the US is the only country that seems to stand by not using the metric system. Its hard for me to translate because thats not how my first education was based. I have yet to learn why we have not "standardized" to that level, perhaps out of habit.

Still trying to figure out how I got a smart girl like that.
Haha I'm trying. Its tough sometimes but when I am I can at least come up with a readable topic.

As always, I love the compliments :)

Tennessee still has a fair number of distance-to-cities signs that have both miles and km on them, but I don't think I've seen any anywhere else in the US. Canada has their "100kph=60mph" signs when you cross the border too.

It's kinda cool to see "speed limit 100" up there. :goofy:

I remember when I was in elementary school (1965 on), we were taught taught the metric system along with English units, and they told us that we'd be converted over by 1970 or so. Sorta stupid it didn't, y'ask me.

I remember when I was in elementary school (1965 on), we were taught taught the metric system along with English units, and they told us that we'd be converted over by 1970 or so. Sorta stupid it didn't, y'ask me.
I'd heard the same thing in the late '70s. We were gonna convert. But, there was such an outcry it didn't happen.

Yeah, and I remember hearing the same thing in the mid-80's.

Have we killed it yet?

I hate METARS! :hairraise: We never should have changed!:no:
Why? They seem pretty dang simple to me. I'd rather read METARs, TAFs and FAs any day than interpret a doggone weather depiction chart or other graphics. Besides, you get more reliable trend data and with more specific locations.

Why? They seem pretty dang simple to me. I'd rather read METARs, TAFs and FAs any day than interpret a doggone weather depiction chart or other graphics. Besides, you get more reliable trend data and with more specific locations.

really?

Oh and for those of you who are students or pilots that don’t like translating code, there is a reason and a cure. First off do realize that METARs are always originated in code and probably will be for a while. The reason seems to be that with the vast amount of changes and updates to weather reports would overload the system. The great news is that now it is possible to translate the code online either through request from sites such as NOAA or by looking up the code yourself which will put it in simple English. Sometimes this helps those who are new to learn the code and not miss anything during preflight weather preparations.

Fly safe,
Tristan

Note that (at least to my knowlege) translations are not yet available via XM weather in the airplane, so even with internet translations so readily available, there IS reason to be able to read the raw METARs.

Fly safe!

David

Have we killed it yet?

Nope! I travel internationally a lot and I am getting real good and thinking in metric too. I don't even need to translate temps any longer and find myself often just thinking in Celsius. I can do the weights no problem, it is kph that gives me fits though. That one I still have to think about

Nope! I travel internationally a lot and I am getting real good and thinking in metric too. I don't even need to translate temps any longer and find myself often just thinking in Celsius. I can do the weights no problem, it is kph that gives me fits though. That one I still have to think about

Scott, I have worked for Japanese companies most of my career and do translations in my head multiple times per day.
For MPH to KPH just multiply by 1.5 to get close (1.6 is actual). For KPH to MPH just cut it in half (or multiply by 0.6 for actual).
I also "cheat" for C* to F*. Just double C* and add 30 and you'll get close enough to F* for gubment work!

Scott, I have worked for Japanese companies most of my career and do translations in my head multiple times per day.
For MPH to KPH just multiply by 1.5 to get close (1.6 is actual). For KPH to MPH just cut it in half (or multiply by 0.6 for actual).
I also "cheat" for C* to F*. Just double C* and add 30 and you'll get close enough to F* for gubment work!

It's -24 C now. How does that work again? ;)

Like Kev said use the double C and add 30. Works real easy

-24 x 2 = -48 add 30 = -18F

Actually -24F = -11C close enough

-24C is actually -11 F

I was being a smart a** in pointing out that shortcut only works in the normal part of the world. My world is definitely not normal.

Note that (at least to my knowlege) translations are not yet available via XM weather in the airplane, so even with internet translations so readily available, there IS reason to be able to read the raw METARs.

Fly safe!

David

Actually, my MFD (EX-500) does the translation, but AFaik it doesn't display METAR remarks, raw or translated.

Fly safe!

David
You want something to laugh at? I didn't know they had XM in an airplane until I flew in Lance's Baron a couple months ago! Its still a new thing but I imagine you have a point when it comes to that.

Last edited:
-24C is actually -11 F

I was being a smart a** in pointing out that shortcut only works in the normal part of the world. My world is definitely not normal.
Now, we're getting to the root of your problems. :D

-24C is actually -11 F

For crist sake! Would be be so hard to just put -11 in the computer too!:dunno:
:goofy:
As ol Jerry Clower would say "I didn't grow up in Japan!":hairraise:

or In Grenwich England I want good ol American NUMBERS on my information! :yes:

Although it was politically correct for the US to change to the METAR system, European countries still report weather in any kind of format that they choose. They use no standard sequencing.

My flying jobs have allowed me to fly frequently in Europe.

The metric system is about 1,000 times better than the "standard" system, whether the U.S. will one day figure that out or not.

PS: For easy access to conversions, use Google.

Just type "3 cm in inches" or "7 celsius in fahrenheit" into a search box and voila ... 1.18 and 44.6. Works for pounds and other units, too.

I find it odd that the AWOS (or ASOS, can't remember which it is) at KHII gives temps and dewpoint in Fahrenheit. I don't know of any other airport that does it that way anywhere in the US.

It also gives the wind information last instead of first. Another odd one.

What are you talking about kenny? Thats what flying is. Plus, you might be jealous otherwise :p

Last edited:
You want something to laugh at? I didn't know they had XM in an airplane until I flew in Lance's Baron a couple months ago! Its still a new thing but I imagine you have a point when it comes to that.
Just don't fall into the trap of limiting the world to your experience...it's a fairly common malady in aviation, and probably in all aspects of life. Been doing this for a while myself, and I still learn stuff...like Lance's high-tech MFD that DOES translate the XM data ;)

Fly safe!

David

Just don't fall into the trap of limiting the world to your experience...it's a fairly common malady in aviation, and probably in all aspects of life. Been doing this for a while myself, and I still learn stuff...like Lance's high-tech MFD that DOES translate the XM data ;)

Fly safe!

David
Ya know thats one thing thats tough in this hobby/profession...keeping up with technology! Especialy when half of the country is taught in 1970/80s airplanes including me. The only thing thats up to date is the FAR/AIM! LOL

Back