Did Slate.com just call ADS-B one of the 7 wonders of the world?

ADS-B - a monument to design by committee.

It's pretty wonderous to have a government program that produces anything at all, no matter how well or poorly it might work.

Wait, what?

ADS-B isn't mentioned there. The Weather Underground and citizen operated weather stations are. I don't get the ADS-B connection in the subject line of this thread.

Wait, what?

ADS-B isn't mentioned there. The Weather Underground and citizen operated weather stations are. I don't get the ADS-B connection in the subject line of this thread.

Yes it is mentioned in the linked article - scroll down in that web page or do a web page search for "ADS". I see this, for example:

"As part of NextGen, a satellite-based system called Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast, or ADS-B, will use GPS to locate planes and connect them to air traffic control. By Jan. 1, 2020, all aircraft flying in controlled airspace will be required to have ADS-B equipment. ADS-B is now enabling planes to fly around weather over open water in the Gulf of Mexico—saving time and fuel and sometimes completely sparing passengers from turbulence."

It ends it gushing thusly:

"In an age in which constricted financial resources and geographic footprints prevent us from expanding the physical footprint of airports, the highly resilient and evolving air traffic control system is doing the heavy lifting behind the scenes. We should look up in awe."

Fascinating.

I look up in awe. As in awe **** I have to spend $10k to install ADS-B.

Yes it is mentioned in the linked article - scroll down in that web page or do a web page search for "ADS". I see this, for example:

Got it!

The link went directly to the Weather Underground portion so I didn't see that ADS-B had been mentioned above that section.

Wow. Slate must be really impressed with XM weather that beat ADS-B to market by what, at least a decade? LOL.

FAA marketing of their ancient tech that's a decade behind, must be working. That or someone at Slate is married to an ADS-B worker or contractor.

Back