Did my first solo today

ainokea

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ainokea
Got a major milestone done today. Got my first solo out of the way. Last week my CFI told me that I am almost ready to solo. So the last lesson he told me what he wanted me to do and didn't say a single word during the flight. He wanted me to do power on/off stalls, slow flight, and steep turns and head back to the airport and do 3 laps around the pattern. I was feeling good and got 2/3 soft landings. He then talked to me when were taxiing back to the school and said I'm ready to solo and the next step was too take a pre-stage solo ride with the owner/chief CFI. I took my pre-stage ride last Tuesday with the owner and did some slow flight, emergency procedures, and 4 laps around the pattern. I only got 1/4 soft landings in. The owner gave his blessing and said I am ready to go solo.

So today I met my instructor at school and he told me what he wanted to do. He said that I'm gonna do 2 laps around the pattern and drop him off at the south ramp. So up we go and landing 1 was hard and crappy and I wasn't feeling too good. Lap 2 was also a hard landing and I wasn't feeling good like how I felt the week before. So I asked him if I can do one more lap with him and he said go ahead. Last landing was still hard but better than the first 2 and I was ready. He let me know that the plane is gonna feel lighter since he is no longer in the plane and that was no joke.

1st takeoff and the plane starts lifting at 45 knots. Winds were picking up a bit and started to get a lil bumpy. I float for awhile and land a lil hard but better than the first 3 and taxi back.

2nd takeoff was fine but the landing was a lil scary. Slight x-wind so I using the left and right rudder to straighten myself out and I landed on the mains but hopped a lil bit and I was a lil scared by now but I've done that a few times and got over it.

3rd takeoff was a lil nerve wrecking. Another plane was coming in for landing in the parallel runway and a king air was coming in for landing in the same runway I was using and ATC told me I was #2 and to extend my downwind. I looked in the vicinity of where I would think the king air was coming from and had to ask ATC where the king air was I finally saw it going right base for 28L. I kept on going downwind til ATC called my base and I was cleared to land. This landing was the best out of the day. Not the best landing that I've had so far during my training but not a bad day to end the day. Picked up my CFI from the south ramp and back to school.

My CFI told me that we had a goal to get my solo done before the 1st page and we did it. My second page of my logbook has me as PIC with .5 hours. :)

Tomorrow is the beginning of cross country flying and we're flying north to KSTS. Pretty excited cause we'll be doing a mini bay tour and flying by SF, Golden Gate and Bay Bridge, and Alcatraz.

Last edited:
Congrats- great experience and a lot of great memories from today! You've now taken an airplane into the air and landed it by yourself. Not many people can claim to have done that!

Nobody ever forgets their first solo flight. Nice work.

Break----

Holy smokes they go through a lot of work to solo somebody. Do you guys do the same? I always did it the way it was done for me...have the test out of the way and then just get out of the plane one day and sort of surprise them. I've never heard of multiple people checking the student.

Holy smokes they go through a lot of work to solo somebody. Do you guys do the same? I always did it the way it was done for me...have the test out of the way and then just get out of the plane one day and sort of surprise them. I've never heard of multiple people checking the student.
It's generally required in Part 141 programs, and often required by flight schools even under Part 61 as a double-check to make sure the primary instructor didn't miss anything. Belt-and-suspenders, and all that. Sort of the same way the FAA won't let the same person sign the practical test endorsement and give the practical test.

:thumbsup: Congratulations!! It's an event you'll never forget!

I had a crazy CFI. My first solo was in the twilight, almost dark about 40 minutes past sunset. But I was so excited to get it done that I didn't complain. I do remember thinking to myself though as the wheels departed the ground "WTF did I just do! I have to land this thing now!"

Congratulations!

The first XC is a lot of fun too.

Good for you. Now comes the fun part. Getting to do it all by yourself.

Congratulations. Once you start your cross countries, then you're really getting into the fun part. You'll be at the checkride before you know it.

Yup, you are now one of the one tenth of one percent of the people in this country who can fly an airplane as PIC... (actually 0.175% have an active medical certificate)

Got a major milestone done today. Got my first solo out of the way. Last week my CFI told me that I am almost ready to solo. So the last lesson he told me what he wanted me to do and didn't say a single word during the flight. He wanted me to do power on/off stalls, slow flight, and steep turns and head back to the airport and do 3 laps around the pattern. I was feeling good and got 2/3 soft landings. He then talked to me when were taxiing back to the school and said I'm ready to solo and the next step was too take a pre-stage solo ride with the owner/chief CFI. I took my pre-stage ride last Tuesday with the owner and did some slow flight, emergency procedures, and 4 laps around the pattern. I only got 1/4 soft landings in. The owner gave his blessing and said I am ready to go solo.

So today I met my instructor at school and he told me what he wanted to do. He said that I'm gonna do 2 laps around the pattern and drop him off at the south ramp. So up we go and landing 1 was hard and crappy and I wasn't feeling too good. Lap 2 was also a hard landing and I wasn't feeling good like how I felt the week before. So I asked him if I can do one more lap with him and he said go ahead. Last landing was still hard but better than the first 2 and I was ready. He let me know that the plane is gonna feel lighter since he is no longer in the plane and that was no joke.

1st takeoff and the plane starts lifting at 45 knots. Winds were picking up a bit and started to get a lil bumpy. I float for awhile and land a lil hard but better than the first 3 and taxi back.

2nd takeoff was fine but the landing was a lil scary. Slight x-wind so I using the left and right rudder to straighten myself out and I landed on the mains but hopped a lil bit and I was a lil scared by now but I've done that a few times and got over it.

3rd takeoff was a lil nerve wrecking. Another plane was coming in for landing in the parallel runway and a king air was coming in for landing in the same runway I was using and ATC told me I was #2 and to extend my downwind. I looked in the vicinity of where I would think the king air was coming from and had to ask ATC where the king air was I finally saw it going right base for 28L. I kept on going downwind til ATC called my base and I was cleared to land. This landing was the best out of the day. Not the best landing that I've had so far during my training but not a bad day to end the day. Picked up my CFI from the south ramp and back to school.

My CFI told me that we had a goal to get my solo done before the 1st page and we did it. My second page of my logbook has me as PIC with .5 hours. :)

Tomorrow is the beginning of cross country flying and we're flying north to KSTS. Pretty excited cause we'll be doing a mini bay tour and flying by SF, Golden Gate and Bay Bridge, and Alcatraz.

I forget what I did that weekend, but I was probably about 10 mins from KSTS when you were there.

Congrats on the solo.

Here are some pics from my 1st x-country from HWD to STS. Departed HWD around 8:15AM. We got clearance to fly SFO class B airspace and flew along San Mateo Bridge and following 101 north. When we were abeam runway 1 we were told to go on a heading of 280 which made us run parallel with runway 28. After we were handed off to norcal approach for our turn to STS and views of the city and the bridges. At STS made a full stop and went on our way to HWD on the east bay side flying next to OAK and back to HWD. Some pics below taken by my CFI. I took the Golden Gate Bridge pics while my CFI briefly had controls. :)

Pics below are in random order.

sfo1.jpg

sfo2n.jpg

sutro.jpg

sf6v.jpg

alcatraz2r.jpg

sf5b.jpg

sf1t.jpg

gg1fi.jpg

baybridge1.jpg

koak.jpg

Very cool. Typical clouds / haze over the Bay Area. I'm always happy when I have none of those things, but I'm accepting they are the "norm" and they make my Bay Tours not quite as nice as they could be. Cool that they cleared you through the Bravo, did you see a bunch of jets?

Very cool. Typical clouds / haze over the Bay Area. I'm always happy when I have none of those things, but I'm accepting they are the "norm" and they make my Bay Tours not quite as nice as they could be. Cool that they cleared you through the Bravo, did you see a bunch of jets?

A few jets. Mostly regionals. No heavy's. :D

Back