Did I hurt my Batteries

luvflyin

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Luvflyin
So I have a couple of them 6 Volt deep cycle ones. They sat for about 4 months and slowly discharged. In a trailer with everything turned off. But the smoke/co2 alarms slowly brought them down to 0. I think the control panel/inverter thing probably was sucking up a little juice to. I know after about one month they weren't completely dead yet. And like a dummy I didn't check the fluid level. The tops of the plates were dry. Not by much, when I added fluid, just a very little bit brought it up to the tops of the plates. I got some battery fluid to do this. Then someone told me I should not have done that but just have just used distilled water. Only the water evaporates, not the acid, and I probably made it a little to 'rich' so to speak. So whadda all y'all think. Did I do a very bad thing? Or just a little no harm no foul thing?

If they continue to work, no worries. Or you can drain them and refill them. But deep cycles are pretty tough.

So I have a couple of them 6 Volt deep cycle ones. They sat for about 4 months and slowly discharged. In a trailer with everything turned off. But the smoke/co2 alarms slowly brought them down to 0. I think the control panel/inverter thing probably was sucking up a little juice to. I know after about one month they weren't completely dead yet. And like a dummy I didn't check the fluid level. The tops of the plates were dry. Not by much, when I added fluid, just a very little bit brought it up to the tops of the plates. I got some battery fluid to do this. Then someone told me I should not have done that but just have just used distilled water. Only the water evaporates, not the acid, and I probably made it a little to 'rich' so to speak. So whadda all y'all think. Did I do a very bad thing? Or just a little no harm no foul thing?

check the battery PH (do you have a hydrometer?)... that could give you confidence that the battery PH isn't too far off.

check the battery PH (do you have a hydrometer?)... that could give you confidence that the battery PH isn't too far off.
No. I suppose I should get one. I may just take one to a place that will give it a check.

Back