Did I do the right thing?

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
My 777 pilot friend is flying AAL61 to Japan today; I went up to DFW's viewing area (parking lot near the approach ends of runways 35L and 35C) to get him on video leaving...

Channel 8 was at the viewing area, with their cameras, and wanted to film me (I politely declined, but made it clear I did NOT want to be on camera); they were "doing a story about airport security"... yeah, RIGHT. I know how that works. They have an agenda to fill, and if the story or comment isn't sensational, it ain't making it on the news. I knew that even if I made good, sensible, nice-to-aviation comments, they'd either not get used, or just get "chopped up" and used in little sound-bites to fit THEIR agenda, so I declined... my poor workmate was too excited about the possibility of being on TV to decline their interview.

So what did they ask him about?

They wanted to know what we thought about what happened in Phoenix, and how flimsy these "fences" protecting our airports are, and how close people can get to the aircraft with RPG (rocket propelled grenades) or vehicles or whatever the case may be.... sigh....

What would you do if asked to be interviewed about airport security at your local airport? I want to help fix the image, but talking to TV reporters who will just say "this local pilot said:" and then pull something out of context doesn't seem the right way to do it...

Troy Whistman said:
What would you do if asked to be interviewed about airport security at your local airport? I want to help fix the image, but talking to TV reporters who will just say "this local pilot said:" and then pull something out of context doesn't seem the right way to do it...

A. I would have declined. None of their business.
B. If they were persistant, I'd probably say "talking about airport security makes it less secure, so I really can't comment"
C. If stuffed on camera, I think my response would be "so, you're trying to help terrorists by trying to find holes and publicize them".

Then turn and walk away.

If your not used to dealing with the press then DON'T; refer them to AOPA. I have dealt with the press on many occasions as an attorney while handling criminal defense cases. Sometimes I didn't even recognize my case but for my name appearing as defense attorney. I mean they twisted things so badly and mutilated the facts and what I said that the story was unrecognizable. ( I'm sure Jim G can relate to this ).

Remember no matter what you say THEY CAN EDIT IT. Your statement that " I do not think that someone would use an RPG at this airport" turns into :"Mr. Whistman isn't sure if the airport is safe from RPG's" Its their take on what you said.

If you feel compelled to talk then do as George Bush does Stay on Point Stay on Point Stay on Point. Its usually worthless to point out that the story is only sensationalism or that you are more afraid on the subway or about what is coming through our ports or being in NYC next to a tractor trailer. They will never print or air it cause it just ain't sexy.

Last edited:
AdamZ said:
If your not used to dealing with the press then DON'T refer them to AOPA.

Why wouldn't I want to refer them to AOPA? Or is that missing a semicolon?

If your not used to dealing with the press then DON'T; refer them to AOPA.

AdamZ said:
They will never print or air it cause it just ain't sexy.

AMEN! Exactly on point!!

AdamZ said:
If your not used to dealing with the press then DON'T refer them to AOPA. I have dealt with the press on many occasions as an attorney while handling criminal defense cases. Sometimes I didn't even recognize my case but for my name appearing as defense attorney. I mean they twisted things so badly and mutilated the facts and what I said that the story was unrecognizable. ( I'm sure Jim G can relate to this ).

Remember no matter what you say THEY CAN EDIT IT. Your statement that " I do not think that someone would use an RPG at this airport" turns into :"Mr. Whistman isn't sure if the airport is safe from RPG's" Its their take on what you said.

If you feel compelled to talk then do as George Bush does Stay on Point Stay on Point Stay on Point. Its usually worthless to point out that the story is only sensationalism or that you are more afraid on the subway or about what is coming through our ports or being in NYC next to a tractor trailer. They will never print or air it cause it just ain't sexy.

Always glad to chime in with the same advice that I give clients. DON'T TALK TO THE PRESS! Troy, you did the right thing. Wait to see how they twist what the other person said, and you will see what I mean.

I just dealt with a major case here in the county, one dealing with Megan's Law issues and constitutionality. We declined to talk to the press. They put my name in the same sentence with the ACLU, claiming the ACLU attorneys argued in this case alongside me. The only problem with that is 1. NO ACLU attorney argued in the case. 2. I have never, in 15 years, personally met an ACLU attorney. Always nice to be linked on the front page of the local rag with the ACLU though (that was today, by the way).

The press has their own agenda, and they almost always show an inherent ability to get wrong. (apologies to Dan Corjulo who I know works very hard to get the facts right). We decided in this case not to talk to them because all we would be doing is adding mis-stated quotes to what was already mis-stated facts. And it's not like I don't know and like the reporter who did the article. He is a good kid. Someday, he will understand what is going on in the courthouse and get it more accurate. But it takes time to learn this stuff. And he is not very far up the learning curve yet.

Troy, trust that you absolutely did the right thing. And, as Adam Z says, when in doubt, send 'em to AOPA. Let the experts deal with them.

Jim G

Troy Whistman said:
My 777 pilot friend is flying AAL61 to Japan today; I went up to DFW's viewing area (parking lot near the approach ends of runways 35L and 35C) to get him on video leaving...

Channel 8 was at the viewing area, with their cameras, and wanted to film me (I politely declined, but made it clear I did NOT want to be on camera); they were "doing a story about airport security"... yeah, RIGHT. I know how that works. They have an agenda to fill, and if the story or comment isn't sensational, it ain't making it on the news. I knew that even if I made good, sensible, nice-to-aviation comments, they'd either not get used, or just get "chopped up" and used in little sound-bites to fit THEIR agenda, so I declined... my poor workmate was too excited about the possibility of being on TV to decline their interview.

So what did they ask him about?

They wanted to know what we thought about what happened in Phoenix, and how flimsy these "fences" protecting our airports are, and how close people can get to the aircraft with RPG (rocket propelled grenades) or vehicles or whatever the case may be.... sigh....

You did the right thing. I have never seen a reporter tell the truth about anything. If I ever do I am sure they will then try to lie there way out of it.
:yes: :yes: :yes:

Tell them you would be happy to be interview but only if they do a live feed. You don't want to be misrepresented in editing.

Then, invite the reporter for a plane ride and explain the benefits of aviation off camera. Give them your phone number and offer to provide information on general aviation but never on camera.

I would have done exactly the same thing you did Troy. There is no way I'm talking to the press without any control over what eventually gets aired.

Troy Whistman said:
...I politely declined, but made it clear I did NOT want to be on camera.

Do they have to abide by that legally?

Did they take any footage of you video taping aircraft operations? I can see it now....the big story tonight...exclusive footage of people video taping airport operations...for what purpose? ....perhaps terrorists planning the next major attack.....:hairraise:

grattonja said:
Always glad to chime in with the same advice that I give clients. DON'T TALK TO THE PRESS! Troy, you did the right thing. Wait to see how they twist what the other person said, and you will see what I mean.

I just dealt with a major case here in the county, one dealing with Megan's Law issues and constitutionality. We declined to talk to the press. They put my name in the same sentence with the ACLU, claiming the ACLU attorneys argued in this case alongside me. The only problem with that is 1. NO ACLU attorney argued in the case. 2. I have never, in 15 years, personally met an ACLU attorney. Always nice to be linked on the front page of the local rag with the ACLU though (that was today, by the way).

The press has their own agenda, and they almost always show an inherent ability to get wrong. (apologies to Dan Corjulo who I know works very hard to get the facts right). We decided in this case not to talk to them because all we would be doing is adding mis-stated quotes to what was already mis-stated facts. And it's not like I don't know and like the reporter who did the article. He is a good kid. Someday, he will understand what is going on in the courthouse and get it more accurate. But it takes time to learn this stuff. And he is not very far up the learning curve yet.

Troy, trust that you absolutely did the right thing. And, as Adam Z says, when in doubt, send 'em to AOPA. Let the experts deal with them.

Jim G

Hey, I haven't been on the reporting end of the business for a couple of years, and then I was a photographer most of the time.. BUT MAN..THE TV GUYS NEVER GET IT RIGHT. They disgust us as much as you. Laziest people on the planet. I work with both TV and print people and I can take about 5 minutes of TV reporters before I want to scream. Much easier to talk off the record to a newspaper reporter. They screw up to but usually a lot less. When in doubt, shut up. A good reporter will get you talking anyway

Nav8tor said:
Did they take any footage of you video taping aircraft operations? I can see it now....the big story tonight...exclusive footage of people video taping airport operations...for what purpose? ....perhaps terrorists planning the next major attack.....:hairraise:

Great... you're probably right, and now I'll have to watch the drivel to see what happens. I don't know if they have to abide by your request or not. I guess it's not a violation of privacy if you're in a public place, even if you ask them not to tape you?

First thing the reporter did was ask what we were doing (since I had my camera on a tripod and my transceiver up to my ear listening for flight 61). I explained about my 777 captain friend, that he wanted me to get his departure on video.

Right now, he's cruising along on his way to Japan...

corjulo said:
Hey, I haven't been on the reporting end of the business for a couple of years, and then I was a photographer most of the time.. BUT MAN..THE TV GUYS NEVER GET IT RIGHT. They disgust us as much as you. Laziest people on the planet. I work with both TV and print people and I can take about 5 minutes of TV reporters before I want to scream. Much easier to talk off the record to a newspaper reporter. They screw up to but usually a lot less. When in doubt, shut up. A good reporter will get you talking anyway

I wasn't sure exactly where you fit into the world of reporting, but I knew that you were employed there.

One of my favorite stories of TV reporters is one on a case that was not mine. They had found the body of a young woman, obviously murdered, down in the rural south end of the county. One young blonde female reporter, for the local Fox news station, was down there while the experts were mucking about, etc. IIRC, this was a fairly grisly body dumping, and the body had been out there for a while, etc. She is down there, with some sort of reflective mirror thing, complaining that she cannot get enough sunlight to work on her tan.

Yeah, they are compassionate and concerned about their job.

"There's a bubble headed bleach blond, comes on at five... She can tell you 'bout the plane crash, with a gleam in her eye... It's interesting when people die, give us dirty laundry." Don Henly

Sadly, my experience with the local print media has not been much better. The older guy who covered the court beat died of a heart attack last year. The two cub reporters trying to cover the beat now just plain don't understand the nuances of the system. They have proven patently unable to get the law right, and the facts are seldom on the money either. They are both nice enough, but, as conduits of what goes on for a public that is largely unaware of the criminal justice system, it is frustrating to watch them muck it up.

Again, Troy. You did the right thing.

Jim G

Troy Whistman said:
Great... you're probably right, and now I'll have to watch the drivel to see what happens. I don't know if they have to abide by your request or not. I guess it's not a violation of privacy if you're in a public place, even if you ask them not to tape you?

First thing the reporter did was ask what we were doing (since I had my camera on a tripod and my transceiver up to my ear listening for flight 61). I explained about my 777 captain friend, that he wanted me to get his departure on video.

Right now, he's cruising along on his way to Japan...

Hmmm...and now you're monitoring aircraft movements from your computer......very suspicious....;)

Nav8tor said:
Hmmm...and now you're monitoring aircraft movements from your computer......very suspicious....;)

BWAH HA HA! You're on to me! I give!! (Do I hear a Cessna 182RG circling my office??)

Troy Whistman said:
BWAH HA HA! You're on to me! I give!! (Do I hear a Cessna 182RG circling my office??)

Yup. THEY, are on to you.

Steve said:
I'd tell them I'd be more afraid of a news copter crashing into a building...

Two NEWS/Traffic Choppers actually did hit each other in broad daylight mid air here in Seattle a few years back while scurrying to & fro ! Wish we effectively could ask them all about that instead.

grattonja said:
I wasn't sure exactly where you fit into the world of reporting, but I knew that you were employed there.

One of my favorite stories of TV reporters is one on a case that was not mine. They had found the body of a young woman, obviously murdered, down in the rural south end of the county. One young blonde female reporter, for the local Fox news station, was down there while the experts were mucking about, etc. IIRC, this was a fairly grisly body dumping, and the body had been out there for a while, etc. She is down there, with some sort of reflective mirror thing, complaining that she cannot get enough sunlight to work on her tan.

Yeah, they are compassionate and concerned about their job.

"There's a bubble headed bleach blond, comes on at five... She can tell you 'bout the plane crash, with a gleam in her eye... It's interesting when people die, give us dirty laundry." Don Henly

Sadly, my experience with the local print media has not been much better. The older guy who covered the court beat died of a heart attack last year. The two cub reporters trying to cover the beat now just plain don't understand the nuances of the system. They have proven patently unable to get the law right, and the facts are seldom on the money either. They are both nice enough, but, as conduits of what goes on for a public that is largely unaware of the criminal justice system, it is frustrating to watch them muck it up.

Again, Troy. You did the right thing.

Jim G

I certainly respect your advice and experience in dealing with media.

We CFIs just got a letter from our AOPA's Phil Boyer and he was hypothetically saying it would be very powerful in GA's favor IF when confronted by the media, we could say how ALL aircraft are kept locked, at ALL airports and ALL pilots are keeping watch, etc.

Perhaps he sent a similar one out to all pilots ?

The letter [to the CFIs and FBOs] is available from the main page at AOPA. I think it was also part of their weekly email news.

To echo what others have said, never talk to the press. They speak a completely different language than the rest of us and will completely rewrite whatever you say.

corjulo said:
Tell them you would be happy to be interview but only if they do a live feed. You don't want to be misrepresented in editing.

Then, invite the reporter for a plane ride and explain the benefits of aviation off camera. Give them your phone number and offer to provide information on general aviation but never on camera.

I think that is an awesome idea. Speaking live, you get to control what you say.

NickDBrennan said:
I think that is an awesome idea. Speaking live, you get to control what you say.

Or at least indulge yourself in the fantasy that you do.

They may provide the live feed to the station but the station may jockey it around so it gets minimum airtime when shot live. Bet dollars to donuts they devote major airtime later that night after extreme editing. That 'live feed' is only good for the moment but the tape lasts forever.

Often, that live feed is used only as a lead-in to a later news edition.

Back