Did anyone feel 0 fear their first aerobatic flight?

Discussion in 'Aerobatics' started by PrivatePilotStudy, Aug 7, 2016.

1. PrivatePilotStudy

PrivatePilotStudy Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    PrivatePilotStudy
    Yesterday I went up with my instructor in his Citabria. We did some tones of aerobatics most of which I was flying with him assisting. I expected some brown moments, I was super excited and not once felt scared, and even times wanted to push the plane even hard.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

The Pilot Guy likes this.
  2. skidoo

skidoo Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    skidoo
    Yea, but I was 15 at the time... Who has fear at that age?

3. timwinters

timwinters Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    X
    Diana took me up at her farm 8 or 10 years ago. My first true aerobatic experience.

Fear? No.

Nausea? Yes!

The back of a Citabria is not a good place to first experience aerobatics. With my height, I couldn't see much so my gut felt the maneuvers before my eyes saw them. That wasn't good. I seriously doubt I would have had an issue in a low wing, canopied airplane or open cockpit.

Still a lot of fun though.

4. BigBadLou

BigBadLou En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Lou
    My first aerobatic flight was in the back seat of a T-6 (the cool old one).
    I was sitting behind a man who holds a 0 (zero) license.
    No fear.
    I did some maneuvers and had fun, it was a blast. :)

5. PilotRPI

PilotRPI Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    PilotRPI
    Didn't feel fear, but am in the same boat with TimWinters about the nausea. The snap roll put my stomach in my throat, and then I got into an inverted spin at the very end which didn't help. Didn't lose it, but felt sick for about a day. Was an amazing time.

6. Greenhead

Greenhead Pre-Flight

No fear nor sickness while getting tumbled in a Pitts. Pilot kept asking me if I was good. One of the best experiences of my life!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

7. labbadabba

labbadabba Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    labbadabba
    Where's that video of that 4-year-old Québécois girl? She seemed alright.

whereisrandall likes this.
  8. EdFred

EdFred Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    -
    Nope. No nausea either, but when I flew the maneuvers the acro pilot got nausea and we had to cut the ride short.

9. Acrodustertoo

Acrodustertoo Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Buford T. Justice
    Fear? No but I did get queasy when we reached six G so that was the end of that. The only thing I feared was the harness holding me in.

10. kayoh190

kayoh190 Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kayoh@190
    Not sure that fear is the right word. I was just really excited, and because it was a good friend that took me up, I didn't want to disappoint him by getting sick, etc. Fortunately I didn't get sick, had a blast, and I can't wait to do it again sometime. I'd highly recommend it to anyone. :)

11. Richard Mandel

Richard Mandel Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Richard Mandel
    I've been teaching acro for many years. It's natural for pilots to feel a small amount of fear on their first acro flight lesson. Your entire flying career you've been taught not to bank/roll beyond x, and that's exactly what you're going to do on an acro flight. The fear is not rational if you understand aerodynamics and the limitations of the airplane... but people are often irrational. :-(

-RM

12. Bill Jennings

Bill Jennings Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bill Jennings
    Long before I became a pilot, I was TDY at a recruiting station, and one of the airdales at the command wanted to know if I wanted a ride with him in the T-34B they kept nearby to keep the brown shoes current. After we got away from the airport, he asked me to cage the gyros and then tried to get me to toss lunch. No dice, I enjoyed every minute. After that he let me fly some and we did some local sight seeing. Nice flight.

13. CC268

CC268 Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    CC268
    Wow...I must be a real *****...I haven't done any aerobatics, but I think I would definitely feel some fear doing a loop or roll for the first time.

14. Diana

Diana Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Diana
    I loved our flight together. :) The other day I ran across a picture of us getting ready to go up...glad I didn't make you throw up. :)

15. Checkout_my_Six

Checkout_my_Six Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Check_my_Six
    fear came later.....:D

16. Stearman

Stearman Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Stearman
    Me. Just airsick after awhile.

I've only once been afraid in an airplane and it was when I inadvertently entered a spin from a power on stall. Instructor on board let me do it (I wouldn't listen to his critique of my stalls) and we then went up in a spin-capable airplane and did a dozen. Now they're fun.

17. Matthew

Matthew Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Matthew
    I haven't done any aerobatics, yet. But I do remember my first spins, in a glider. Not so much fear as disorientation. I was in the front (CFI in the back), so I had a good view of the ground through that bubble canopy. I do remember pushing on the rudder pedals with both feet that first time, as if they were brakes or something.

18. Ryanb

Ryanb En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    RyanB
    I had a little fear leading up to it, but once we got airborne I was fine. First time I did aerobatics was during my spin training in a Super D. The spins were followed by a few rolls and loops, lots of fun!!

19. Mason

Mason Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mase
    Me. But it was pretty mild acro in the back seat of a Citabria. Rolls and loops. Buzzing the river. Biggest problem was staying away from the stick, with my size and height it was difficult to stay out of the way of full control movement. My friend let me fly the approach but I was uncomfortable doing the landing from the back seat so I gave the airplane back to him.

20. SixPapaCharlie

SixPapaCharlie May the force be with you

Display Name:

Display name:
    6PC
    There were some things I was okay with but he had to talk me into tail slides.... The thought of falling backwards to earth still makes my palms sweaty.

whereisrandall likes this.
  21. James331

James331 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    James331
    Probability states most folks deaths will be boring.

I don't fear things like aerobatics, or skydiving, not really.
    Changing lanes, intersections, tacticaled out john Wayne's, encounters with small down docs, etc, that's a whole nother story.

22. 35 AoA

35 AoA Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    35 AoA
    I was probably a little nervous prior to the flight, but once you get into it, its just a lot of fun. Definitely nothing to be afraid of, at least at the introductory level.

23. flyersfan31

flyersfan31 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Freiburgfan31
    Yeh man I was nervous. Front seat in an Extra 300L with a 20,000hr combat-experienced Hornet driver in the 2 hole, an aircraft with +10/-10g capability and yeah, I was nervous.

I am man enough to admit it. And let me tell you, after I got comfortable with staring the dirt in the face, I learned to love aerobatics and left the nerves behind.

24. Dana

Dana Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dana
    No fear, no nausea for my first acro ride (in a Stearman)... but I was 16 and afraid of nothing at the time...

A year later, with a brand new PPL, I was back for some official dual instruction in the plane, yee hah!

Back then (1977) that Stearman rented for the princely sum of $50/hour. As a broke college student I couldn't afford enough hours for a solo checkout in it, though (5 or 10 IIRC).

25. luvflyin

luvflyin Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Luvflyin
    Did it once in a Citabria. It didn't scare me. I had already done spins during training so it wasn't all completely new. On the way back to the airport we flew inverted for a few minutes. After getting back a friend looked at me and said "if someone poked you in the eye you'd bleed to death." It broke the tiny capillaries from the blood pressure in the head from being upside down for so long. Had a headache for the rest of the day

26. eman1200

eman1200 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    eman1200
    I'm freaking out even thinking about doing aerobatics but I'm still gonna do it one of these days.

27. SoCal RV Flyer

SoCal RV Flyer Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    SoCal RV Flyer
    You should! I highly recommend Air Combat USA, out of Mesa, AZ. They have a 45-minute aerobatic discovery flight in a 2-place Extra 300L. Their pilot will do every crazy maneuver in the book, then hand the controls over to you and coach you through any maneuver you want to try. I did it with a friend and had a blast...we were formation flying out to the practice area, which was a cool experience in itself.

I only wish I could have tried more maneuvers. After the pilot's demo, lunch was threatening to come back out in "grocery geyser" form...I was able to do a couple of aileron rolls and loops before I surrendered the controls and asked quietly for "straight and level, please." :eek::(:D

28. Zeldman

Zeldman En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Billy
    I had just gotten out of the race car when I started flying. My instructor was also an aerobatics instructor and military pilot. He thought he could put some fear into me, but I have had worse aerobatics in a car....

29. SCCutler

SCCutler Administrator Management Council Member

Display Name:

Display name:
    Spike Cutler
    My first aero was also with Diana (at Gaston's); not at all afraid, but perhaps a bit hung over...

30. jesse

jesse Administrator Management Council Member

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jesse
    I've never had a fear of it if I know the pilot knows what the hell theyre doing and there is no chance the airplane will come apart.

Chip at gastons in his extra 300 was an example of a no fear aerobatic flight for me.

I have done aerobatics with some folks in their experimentals before. Some fear there because I wasn't convinced the airplane wasn't going to come apart and I wasn't convinced the pilot knew what they were doing.

31. Tarheelpilot

Tarheelpilot Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tarheelpilot
    Not even the slightest amount of fear. I was 12. It was my first flight experience and I was given the full aerobatic fun ride in a Christian Eagle. I'll never forget that day. I have been hooked ever since.

32. somorris

somorris Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    somorris
    I was a little nervous but not actually scared. The thing that bothered me most was when the pilot said "...if I say bail out, unhook the headset and harness and go." He didn't really take the time to explain how to use the chute or for that matter even which buckles were the harness and which were the chute. It was a good thing I didn't need it!

WannFly likes this.
  33. Stearman

Stearman Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Stearman
    Yeah, in the future, don't do that. If you're a pilot then you are less likely to be sick if you're doing the flying. Even straight and level. Sickness comes from a disconnect between what the eyes are seeing and the brain expects or feels. So if you level out, keep flying, and look as far into the horizon as you can you'll feel better. And get some fresh air moving.

Just my two cents...

34. Fearless Tower

Fearless Tower Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Fearless Tower
    Was that with Demo at Prevailance?