Diana RE: Citabria

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
Diana, or anyone. On some Citabrias there is a flat plate hanging below and attached to the aileron. What is that plate called?

Also, it was explained to me that this plate increases aileron authority but does not increase roll rate. How can that be? I'm afraid I don't understand how you can have one without the other.

Richard said:
Diana, or anyone. On some Citabrias there is a flat plate hanging below and attached to the aileron. What is that plate called?

Also, it was explained to me that this plate increases aileron authority but does not increase roll rate. How can that be? I'm afraid I don't understand how you can have one without the other.

Richard, that plate is called an aileron spade. A lot of aerobatic airplanes have them. Unfortunately, mine doesn't, so it's really hard for me to use enough force to use full aileron. I wonder if my roll rate would be faster if it were easier for me to move the stick. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can add something.

Here's a good article that mentions spades. You need to scroll down a bit to get to the part about aileron spades.

http://www.airspacemag.com/ASM/Mag/Index/2002/AM/fusd.html

Spades use aerodynamic forces to reduce the stick forces. They don't increase roll rate except insofar as they allow you to get to full deflection faster.

I flew 3 sessions of aerobatics yesterday and did a total of about 15 loops, 20 rolls, and several half Cubans and Split-S's. My arm is SO sore today after that much wrestling with the spade-less aileron. It's tough for me to keep in full aileron all the way around the roll, too, just because of strength issues.

I agree with Patty Wagstaff's comment:

"I've flown without spades, and it was like driving a Mack truck."

:)

There are a lot of things that are just great to do Diana that really hurt later; glad you found one. :D

You were askin 'bout ridin in the A-36; course, I'm sure you thought I'd ask to ride with you if I provided a ride--but, no way I wanna feel loopy, rolly and BTW, if you did half Cubans; what was the other half? ;)

Best,

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
There are a lot of things that are just great to do Diana that really hurt later; glad you found one. :D

LOL! Good point Dave. That would be a great quote to add to our list. ;)

Dave Siciliano said:
You were askin 'bout ridin in the A-36; course, I'm sure you thought I'd ask to ride with you if I provided a ride--but, no way I wanna feel loopy, rolly

Well, maybe we could take a leisurely low and slow flight around the lake instead.

Dave Siciliano said:
BTW, if you did half Cubans; what was the other half? ;)
Best,
Dave

I'm still looking for the other half. :)

Back