Diamond DA40 "speed gear"??

nddons

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Stan
I was reading February's Aviation Consumer article on the Diamond Star, and saw a term I never heard before.

"...Improving on this, Diamond recently came out with a 100-pound gross weight increase requiring little more than a paperwork change and is available on all their new DA40s. This is retrofittable to existing DA40s with the "speed gear" (model year 2004 and later). Non-speed-gear DA40s must upgrade to the speed gear to utilize the GW increase."

I hope I'm not embarrassed asking, but what the heck is a speed gear? :dunno:

I was reading February's Aviation Consumer article on the Diamond Star, and saw a term I never heard before.

"...Improving on this, Diamond recently came out with a 100-pound gross weight increase requiring little more than a paperwork change and is available on all their new DA40s. This is retrofittable to existing DA40s with the "speed gear" (model year 2004 and later). Non-speed-gear DA40s must upgrade to the speed gear to utilize the GW increase."

I hope I'm not embarrassed asking, but what the heck is a speed gear? :dunno:

I am going out on a limb here, but it says "Speed Gear" not "A speed gear". I would think they are refering to the legs or main gear.

Dan

I am going out on a limb here, but it says "Speed Gear" not "A speed gear". I would think they are refering to the legs or main gear.

Dan

Hmmm - could be, though what I wrote was in the "Owner Feedback" section of the article (so not necessarily endorsed as a technical term by the author), and it did say the "speed gear."

On the 2004 DA-40s and up they made improvements to reduce drag. This included redesigned landing gear struts, different tires, a new wheel fairing design, a new nose strut fairing, and a new nose wheel fairing.

They said "the speed gear" because this is "the gear that gives you more speed". I believe it delivered a couple knot improvement

Back