Diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic, What can I expect pursuing a Class 1 Medical?

C

Class1Type2

I held a medical a few years ago, but shortly after the start of the pandemic I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. Since then I have been flying BasicMed.

Since diagnosis, I have changed my lifestyle and eating habits resulting in a sustained <6 A1C over the last year, now I would like to get a Class 1 medical and pursue an airline career. My only diabetes medicine is oral Metformin, and I have no other medical conditions that were not declared on my previous medical. I know it will be a process and I will need to jump through some hoops to get a medical.

Before I commit to this path, I would like to have an idea of what information the FAA will want to see, what to expect from the process, what to expect from the cost, and how much risk I am taking with my ability to maintain BasicMed.

Also, if I cannot be issued the medical in the office (which I expect I will not be able to), does that mean I lose my ability to fly BasicMed until the SI is approved?

If you have a Hb A1c of less than 6.6 (6.5 or less) and a fasting glucose of 125 or less (within 90 days prior), the AME can make a declaration and issue you in the office. Otherwise you need the attached fully filled out (note the fine print under item #4) and you get deferred but are sent the Special Issuance in ~2 months. A good AME can likely, get this approved while you are there (but never on a Tuesday, go figure).

Attachments

• Diabetes(Oral_MedStatusReport)12.26.21.pdf
    42.7 KB · Views: 104
Thanks!

This is in direct contradicts my expectations (I was debating purchasing a motorglider to fly while I wait at least 6 months for OKC).

Are there any questions I should ask the AME during my consult to make sure that the AME I am working with is familiar with dealing with my condition?

Thanks!

This is in direct contradicts my expectations (I was debating purchasing a motorglider to fly while I wait at least 6 months for OKC).

Are there any questions I should ask the AME during my consult to make sure that the AME I am working with is familiar with dealing with my condition?
FWIW, the medical certificate requirement for BasicMed is that the last medical application cannot be denied. A deferral is fine as long as you comply with 61.53(b), which if you've already had a doc sign off on your 8700-2 and your medical condition hasn't changed, shouldn't be an issue.

If you have a Hb A1c of less than 6.6 (6.5 or less) and a fasting glucose of 125 or less (within 90 days prior), the AME can make a declaration and issue you in the office. Otherwise you need the attached fully filled out (note the fine print under item #4) and you get deferred but are sent the Special Issuance in ~2 months. A good AME can likely, get this approved while you are there (but never on a Tuesday, go figure).

What happens with an A1C of 5.1, with fasting glucose of 135?

Asking before I do something that may risk the future ability to get a medical.

I am working to lose weight to minimize the impact of my diabetes. My doctor has suggested Ozempic, but it is not approved by the FAA.

As I understand, I can fly on BasicMed with it (after grounding myself for a bit to ensure no side effects). But if I follow my doctor's recommendation, and then switch back to metformin after 6-9 months, what would the process of pursuing a Class 1 look like?

I am working to lose weight to minimize the impact of my diabetes. My doctor has suggested Ozempic, but it is not approved by the FAA.

As I understand, I can fly on BasicMed with it (after grounding myself for a bit to ensure no side effects). But if I follow my doctor's recommendation, and then switch back to metformin after 6-9 months, what would the process of pursuing a Class 1 look like?
The medxpress form does not ask about medications that you used to take.

Why don't you think Ozempic is approved? I see it on the "Acceptable Combinations of Diabetes Medicines" list group C.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back