Diabetic Retinopathy

U

Unregistered

Does a diagnosis of diabetic retinopathy disqualify one for a Special Issuance Second Class Medical? I have been having my eyes examined annually by an optometrist and biennial Fundus photos; the most recent apparently indicating diabetic retinopathy.

Can a Special Issuance be issued if treatment is performed?

Anonymous said:
Does a diagnosis of diabetic retinopathy disqualify one for a Special Issuance Second Class Medical? I have been having my eyes examined annually by an optometrist and biennial Fundus photos; the most recent apparently indicating diabetic retinopathy.

Can a Special Issuance be issued if treatment is performed?
Yes.

What is needed is for the detachments, if any, to be securely "tacked" down, fir the vitreous to be stable (e.g, not proliferating in an area that would jeopardize your macular (read, fine quality) vision, and that you still have decent peripheral vision (though even this can be dealt with, given a Medical checkride from FSDO), and for any exudates to not be in the critical areas. The core of what FAA wants is good core vision, decent peripheral, and stability. You can accomplish this most of the time.

This will require a co-operative and talented retinal surgeon (not every opthalmolgist is).

Matt has a much better understanding of Diabetic retinopathy (which is all related to micro blood vessel damage) than I, but that's essentially what FAA want in an "eyeball".

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back