Diabetes (type 2) and a 3rd Class

jer.lawrence

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jer.lawrence
I've seen quite a bit posted, but figured I'd ask here to see if I could maybe get a more specific answer on my case. I'm a Type 2 diabetic -- I was diagnosed at age 28 about 2 years ago. My A1c was 9.6 at the time, but after 3 and 6 months, it was later recorded at 4.9 and 5.1 respectively.

I don't take any medication for it, but it's been around a year and a half since my last bloodwork. I've slacked off a bit and I'm sure my numbers aren't nearly as good as they were that year and a half ago (I'd guess ~6.5 - 7 now, maybe). With that, my blood pressure is slightly elevated (135 / 85 typically).

I've just recently (in the last ~2 weeks) been given the opportunity to start pursuing my pilot's license, and I'm definitely using this as motivation to get healthy.

ALL THAT to get to my question: Should I make an appointment directly with an AME in my area, or should I first go see my primary care to get bloodwork done and see how it comes out before going to see the AME? I just did my discovery flight this past weekend, and my first 'official' lesson is coming up this weekend, so I'm sure it will be at least a few weeks before I 'need' the medical, so I could use that time to try to get my BG and BP back "on track."

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Having been diagonsed with Type II on 21 May 2010 while in possession of a third class medical cert . . . . and having hypertension also at the time - we are in the same boat.

Dr. Bruce [and the loss of 40 lbs and the incredible amounts of exercise] I received a new Class III on August 9th I think it was. Probably a record of some sort - the weight loss and the exercise have pretty much solved the hypertension and the diabetes problem.

Probably can for you as well. I"m up for renewal in 2 months. The ducks are in a row now. . . .

I"ll let the good doctor tell you - but I would STRONGLY recommend that you do not simply 'make an appt' at and AME if you want to fly in 2012.

First off- assuming your blood work and BP are really ok - simply showing up at the docs office will simply get you deferred in 95% of the cases and the current back log is what? 3 months now? So assuming you have all the test records and letters you will see that you need and your doc submits them timely and you get an appt before July 1 - the earliest you will be in the air will be Sept 1 given the delay.

You need to find an AME who will shepard you through the system - make the call you need - so when you show up at the office door he has the oral authorization from the OKC docs to issue you a 3rd class on the spot . . .

So wait for Dr Bruce's well worn spiel on this subject - and follow it to the letter. May also be worth a trip to Peoria. And you may have the 3rd class by 15 July, or sooner.

PCP first, Get your numbers in control, listen to Dr Bruce, Then after everything is in order. Go to the AME. I didn't and many test...Many months...I got my medical. :mad2:

I too am DM2 pill controlled.

Like the others said...

1. Listen to and follow Dr Bruce Chien's instructions.

2. Do not go to your local AME.

3. Do not do anything with the FAA until you know 100% you can pass and have the status letter from your primary care physician (PCP) that says all the needed items from Bruce's instructions are in the green zone.

4. Do not go to your local AME, unless he will ask for a telephonic approval for issuance. Based on what we've heard, less than 5% of AMEs are willing to do this, and not many of those have the contacts and FAA approval that Bruce does. (BTW Joe, Bruce said somewhere else that the deferral queue is over 120 days now).

5. If you have listened to Dr Bruce and followed his instructions, your best option for fast issuance of the SI and medical certificate is to visit his office correctly prepared and ready for him to do his thing.

Finally, stay in top of your A1c number. If you want to remain healthy and keep flying, you cannot afford to not know where you are. You can be issued with a 9.0 or less, but the reality is they are looking for 7.0 and less. 7.0 to 7.9 is a yellow zone, above 8 will get you strongly cautioned and possibly flag you as not being in control, and above 9.0 lands you in denial territory. You do not want to land in denial territory.

Dr. Bruce will have more specifics. Listen to him and follow his instructions.

Last edited:
And in order to stay alive long enough to fly in your 60's you need your AiC number under 6.0 - preferably between 4.6 and 5.6. . . . i.e., in the normal range.

Agree with that.

Slight thread drift.... When I first cam to this board to find Bruce to ask questions about my case, another helpful pilot was Joe Areeda. This thread made me think of him. Haven't seen in around the board-sphere lately...anyone have a recent siting?

Jer.lawrence, get a Hb A1c from your family docFIRST. Everything depends on what you get. Do NOT go to the AME first.

You are going to have to check the box (18k) for diabetes ("Have you EVER IN YOUR LIFE" and so you need a good value and doc's letter saying you have no need for medication, no retinopathy no neuropathy, no nephropathy, and no office evident coronary disease.

The agency will issue you a letter of eligibility and a warning that if it ever comes back you cannot wait until your next medical to declare, you are instantaneously grounded and you are to report.

A good AME can issue this in the office, but please go with all the information in hand.

Thanks so much. I guess I'll plan on going to see my PCP sometime soon, though I may give it a few more weeks to see if I can get my numbers as low as possible. I know the A1c is supposed to show ~90 day average, but it seems as though maybe it's weighted more in the last month or so. We'll see how it goes. I've been doing pretty well for about 2 weeks now, at least.

Diabetes is such a huge issue especially for guys like you. You really need to control your life and avoid stuff that worsens the condition. That way you won't have any huge problems with regards to your papers.

Diabetes is such a huge issue especially for guys like you. You really need to control your life and avoid stuff that worsens the condition. That way you won't have any huge problems with regards to your papers.
That's only partly true but is very chauvanistic. Part is discipline but part is genetic.

Great first post, butthead!:rolleyes: I'm sure your help is exactly what the OP was looking for.:mad2:
For the OP, Dr. Bruce will tell you what you need to know, I was diagnosed a few years ago, no pills, just diet and exercise for me, so far. If your A1c is under 6, you shouldn't have any problems at your local AME, my last reading was 5.6, still working on it.:D It's controllable, just work on it.:D

I haven't actually had the exam yet -- I spoke with Dr Bruce and he was very helpful. I decided not to use him as the actual examiner just because he's so far away, but am almost regretting that now. I hope I'm not regretting it more AFTER my exam on Tuesday.

I'm not even worried about the diabetes now. After speaking with Dr. Bruce and the AME I'm going to try to get the exam with, I have all of my paperwork and lab results in hand. My A1c was 5.6 on no meds, so my diabetes is well controlled without complications without medication, and I have a letter from my treating physician stating that.

NOW, I'm worried about my blood pressure. I may make another post about that. :/

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back