Diabetes/OSA remission after WLS

U

Unregistered

A little background, I'm 41 years old and plan to start training for my private pilot next year after I lose some weight. I just got weight loss surgery, and am hoping that my diabetes ends up being treated solely through diet and that my Sleep Apnea goes away.

My question: *Assuming* that my diabetes effectively remits, and I get a new sleep study and it shows no apnea (thus no longer needing my CPAP), will I be able to get a regular medical issued if I check the appropriate forms on the medical application that shows I HAD diabetes and apnea, but provide appropriate documentation that they are both cured?

Or is trying to get a clean medical a waste of time and should I just accept the fact that I'll have a special issuance and deal with it?

A little background, I'm 41 years old and plan to start training for my private pilot next year after I lose some weight. I just got weight loss surgery, and am hoping that my diabetes ends up being treated solely through diet and that my Sleep Apnea goes away.

My question: *Assuming* that my diabetes effectively remits, and I get a new sleep study and it shows no apnea (thus no longer needing my CPAP), will I be able to get a regular medical issued if I check the appropriate forms on the medical application that shows I HAD diabetes and apnea, but provide appropriate documentation that they are both cured?

Or is trying to get a clean medical a waste of time and should I just accept the fact that I'll have a special issuance and deal with it?

Based on what I know having both conditions (DM2 Pill Controlled and OSA) and a few conversations with Dr. Bruce Chien, I would say that getting your 3rd class is doable.

As to can you get it without any special issuances, that's for Dr. Bruce to comment on.

However, Dr. Bruce will be absent from this forum for an undetermined amount of time. He was a frequent visitor and participant, but a falling out between him and another pilot as well as frustration with others pushing bad information has caused him to leave our ranks.

But he is still available to airmen such as you via direct contact. Look up his website at www.aeromedicaldoc.com and either reach out to him by phone or the email address posted there.

Keep in mind that while he will spend a bit of "free" time for you, helping airmen obtain medicals is his business and we need to be ready to support him (as in pay him for his services) so that he can continue to be in business and available to help us in the future.

----------------------------------------

SUMMARY: What you want is likely. But you'll need the guidance of a top AME such as Dr. Bruce Chien. Contact him for the real answer.

As an addendum to Mikes previous post, I had WLS in August 2012. I have lost 130 pounds. I was a type II on lantis and Metformin, with an A1c of over 8 or 9. My diabetics went into remission after WLS and my A1c is now 5.5. I am using a cpap out of habit and I'm too cheap to get another sleep study. Dr Chien is my AME and a valuable resource. I would most definitely contact him.

Good luck!

You will have to wait 6 months after the surgery for body changes to stabilize. You will have to bring reports by your surgeon and PCP that weight loss is stable, that liver functions are stable.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back