diabetes a grounding medical situation?

bugsiegel

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Bugsiegel
I don't know much about the different types of diabetes but wondering if
having one or the other type of diabetes is enough to ground a pilot?
If so, is it a loose your medical for ever type of situation?

I don't know much about the different types of diabetes but wondering if
having one or the other type of diabetes is enough to ground a pilot?
If so, is it a loose your medical for ever type of situation?

Ask in medical sub forum.....

Then everyone will tell you go to Dr. Chien........

He is not an active member here....but if you try AOPA forums might get a response.

He is the all knowing God for medical GA....maybe even more...:rolleyes:

If under control, diabetes is a special issuance medical. If very well under control (and remains there), it's is a CACI and you remain in the normal rotation.

But as always, get healthy first, fly later.

When your A1C numbers rise above 6.5 you will not pass your next medical.

Ask me how I know, :(

Get medical attention as soon as you can, and get the number down your health is more important than the third class medical.
I popped a 6.8 December 14, July 15 I popped a 6.0. I'm on Metformin 200mg daily. and a strict low carb/low sugar diet.

and exercise work off that carb/sugar. It takes about 90 days to make a big change. 180 days is a better look at what your body is doing.

Good luck on the life style change, because that is what it takes to control the glucose in your blood.

The rules differ depending if you are taking insulin now. Tom gives the right protocol for the diet/oral med controlled diabetes. If you are Type I, you need a bit more. You need to show you're under control (A1c numbers), that you haven't had any loss of consciousness episodes, no retinal or renal involvement... In general, it would behoove you to seek out an AME whose handled one of these before.

That is an unusually low dose. Normal is ~ 1700-2000mg daily, with max of 2550mg. Was that a typo, or do you have an extraordinary response to low-dose metformin?

rechecked the bottle, I take two, 500mg tablets 1 in the morning 1 at the evening meal.

I don't have it, but it's in the family so I'm trying to look forward.

Back