DHS = Security?

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
From the Washington Post Blog:

Customs Crashed by Zotob
It's been all Zotob, all week. I'm thinking Zotob would make a great name for an anti-depressant. Maybe if it were a psychoactive happy drug, we'd all feel much better about the fact that this Internet worm disabled the computer networks used by the Department of Homeland Security to screen airline passengers entering the United States.

According to the latest AP story on this, the "computer problem originated in database systems located in Virginia and lasted from around 6 p.m. until about 11:30 p.m., said Zachary Mann, spokesman for U.S. Customs and Border Protection in southern Florida."

Okay, so neither AP nor Mann mentioned Zotob by name, but it doesn't take a cyber-geek to figure out that the DHS system was felled by the same critter that affected plenty of other large organizations around the country this week. I called Customs to ask about this, but haven't heard back yet.

Am I the only one who's nervous that the same system that is supposed to help stop terrorists from entering the country can be brought to its knees by a worm apparently created by a bunch of script-kiddies? I think I need another Zotob.

http://blogs.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2005/08/customs_crashed.html

larrysb said:
Department of homeland silliness is more like it.

I really don't know why anyone, doing anything secure, allows anything on their secure network access to the public inter-toilet-net.
It's the other way around. They let anything that has been infected on the internets(sicalaGW) to plop down and connect to their secure LAN. After which every vulnerable system on the "safe" network behind the firewall gets infected.

They just arrested two authors of two of the worms in Morocco and yes, the DHS was infected.
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/08/26/1819255&tid=220&tid=123&tid=218

Back