DFW's Fox4 news chopper down with video running

Minor injuries, everyone is a-okay. Great work pilot!

The lack of fire will have me reserve from that last comment. The first sentiment I agree with. In the three I have witnessed go on their side with fuel in them, caught on fire. I happenned to be taking pictures on my break on this one.
Fire Line 047 (Small).jpg

I'm not sure why you'd not comment about commending the pilot. An ideal autorotation would leave the ship intact but you're not always flying in ideal conditions. Anything less than a smooth, flat landing surface and you'd be lucky to keep the ship upright when autorotating.

I'm not sure why you'd not comment about commending the pilot. An ideal autorotation would leave the ship intact but you're not always flying in ideal conditions. Anything less than a smooth, flat landing surface and you'd be lucky to keep the ship upright when autorotating.

So true. And that's why helicopters have roll cages. I figure any auto you walk away from is a good one, regardless of whether the ship gets trashed.

I think Henning is talking about the possibility that this was fuel exhaustion related, since there was no fire after the roll (as opposed to what he has seen). If it is fuel related, then the question falls upon the competency/complacency of the pilot

If you're referring to my comment (I wish people would quote), it was not directed to the landing. Ending up on the side after the auto rotation is a definite possibile outcome of a good auto-r landing. My reservation comes from no ensuing fire and why that was. When we find out that the machine had fuel in it when it crashed, then I'll release my reservations. Turbines do fail, I'll grant that, but not all that often.

Back