DFW Founder's Plaza viewing area closed

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
I went to eat lunch at Founder's Plaza at DFW (Carbon Rd) today, but it's closed… permanently. Road is blocked off at the aircraft bridge with dire warning signs about unauthorized traffic or trespassers will be shot (ok, I'm exaggerating: it warns of prosecution to trespassers).

I went to the DFW Airport website to find out why (fearing security concerns would be their 'reason cited').

http://www.dfwairport.com/flyer/07/01/founders_plaza.html

They are building a new one on the NW side of the airport, instead. For you locals: You know how the cab drivers used to loop around to Carbon Rd and head into the airport? At Walnut Hill they are punching through a new road that links up to Carbon at the spot just past the old Founder's Plaza, then closing down the old place.

I'm glad they're building a new, expanded facility, but I have a feeling it won't have the proximity or view that the old one did… and, it's further to get to during my lunch break, so it won't be as convenient. I'll take it as a victory that they didn't close it altogether--kids (and kids at heart) need a place to go watch airplanes.

Just about every major airport around has closed whatever viewing areas they had. And, the areas you could walk up to without trespassing on private property have webbed fencing to hide the view. It's a sad loss.

When I watched "One Six Right," I was glad to see they have a special area there just for "all" the kids who want to watch.

KCLT still has a viewing area as far as I know.

Back