Devious Direct-To Pilot

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
So, on the flight home from MA last week, there were buildups of TCUs and CBs along the route. Lots of red and lightning strikes on the screen. Everyone was on the horn asking for deviations, including me. ATC was doing an immensely good job helping everyone with their requests, again, including me. But there was one who questioned me: "Umm, Cirrus Nxxxx, are you requesting these deviations due to weather, or some other reason?"

I was stumped. I simply answered,"weather, and thanks for your help."

But when I got home and looked at flightaware I saw that my deviations allowed me to fly, essentially, a Direct-To course for roughly a 200-mile segment of the trip. So, another big thanks to ATC for helping all of us--even the doubter who actually had good reason to question me!

Gee, I thought that was the FAA's stated goal...

You were just helping them experience "Free Flight". ;)

So when the best route through the buildups is along your preferred route, what's not to like?

if there were cb's you would think they would show up if not on the ASR-11/13 then on the nexrad depiction on the other monitor . ..

if there were cb's you would think they would show up if not on the ASR-11/13 then on the nexrad depiction on the other monitor . ..

I think at the point I got that query, they were TCUs. But yeah, there were blobs all over the place where they had wanted me to go!

I had a controller actually suggest that one (crystal clear VFR) day.

Me: Any chance we can get direct such-and-such?

Him:Can't do direct because of the next guys airspace, but did you say you need about a ### heading (essentially direct) for weather? I can work that.

I had a controller actually suggest that one (crystal clear VFR) day.

Me: Any chance we can get direct such-and-such?

Him:Can't do direct because of the next guys airspace, but did you say you need about a ### heading (essentially direct) for weather? I can work that.

That controller must have been a pilot!

Back