Detroit Autoshow

LeonardMack

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
LeonardMack
I'm thinking of flying up to the Detroit Auto show (North American Auto Show) next Wedensday. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best GA airport to fly into and ground transportation options?

Thanks!

I'm thinking of flying up to the Detroit Auto show (North American Auto Show) next Wedensday. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best GA airport to fly into and ground transportation options?

Thanks!

The closest airport to Cobo is Detroit City (don't call us Colman A Young Muni tower)... But the FBO there is signature so I would check how hard they plan on raping you before you go (charged a flight instructor of mine $50 to come in to pee) and i have no idea about gound transportation there. - warrning bring your CCW & flack jacket it's not in the best of neigborhoods. 1D2 is not that far (about 20-30min from Cobo) and is in my hometown they have a $5 parking fee if unless you buy gas and the last time i checked gas was reasonable, no airport car but there is an enterprise across the street. Troy (VLL) is also about 20-30 min they MAY have a airport car but call the FBO. There is no landing fee or parking fee last time I checked if you park by the terminal building not the FBO. The gas is also high. The greater detroit people may be able to answer you better, I've been gone for almost 2 years but I do fly into 1D2 or Willow Run still for trips home. Willow run is another possibility, I've never asked about ground transportation as Ma always picks me up. It's further out then 1D2 from Cobo but is nice because they have runways pointing in all directions. It's my alternate when going home and the winds are stiff out of the east or west (1D2 is N-S only).

Now if you were over 60 and single... I could have arranged ground transportation and a date. ;)

Last edited:
If it's fly in, do the show and fly out then KDET will be closest and a I suspect a CAB your best transportation. Although Signature Flight 313/527-6620 lists a courtesy Van which would probably be worth a try for the ride to Cobo. Catching a CAB at Cobo for the return should be easy as well.

Back