Detecting a Web Visitor's Installed Printers

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
No, I don't want (or need) to do it. I'm just curious about how such a thing could be done.

Long story short, I was on another site that uses Amazon ads, and it was a format I haven't seen before. I think it's one of the beta ads they're letting publishers try out. (I'm a long-time Amazon Associate, so I'm aware of the beta ads, but haven't tried them yet.)

Anyway, this ad was for toner cartridges and a replacement fuser for my default printer, an old HP CLJ. The cartridges are in fact getting low, and I've been debating whether to replace them or replace the printer; but I haven't searched on it.

I wasn't logged into either my Amazon customer or Associate accounts, but I don't delete their cookies, so they could have known who I was. I've also printed numerous purchase pages from Amazon to use as receipts, always on the HP printer. So in theory, I suppose it's possible for Amazon to know what kind of printer I have. (I didn't buy the printer from Amazon, by the way.)

The only time I think I've ever made reference to the printer online was in a POA thread about printer recommendations. But POA doesn't have Amazon ads, so they would have no reason or mechanism to scrape the content as they do with their own contextual ads.

So I'm curious. I'm not especially creeped out by it, just curious. I'm not aware of any script that could determine what a person's default printer is and whether it needs toner; and certainly I don't know how I'd write one that would work quickly enough to render an ad based on that information.

Rich

Hmm, interesting, is the printer putting out a "Low Toner" message?

All it takes is viewing an item once on Amazon before ads start showing up for it everywhere. Cars.com is even worse about this.

All it takes is viewing an item once on Amazon before ads start showing up for it everywhere. Cars.com is even worse about this.

Like Vampires, you let em in once and they have you. Although I don't get much advertising from Amazon, probably because I never bought off it.

Like Vampires, you let em in once and they have you. Although I don't get much advertising from Amazon, probably because I never bought off it.

All it takes is clicking on one of the links in the printer thread and they've got you. Like a vampire, LOL.

Hmm, interesting, is the printer putting out a "Low Toner" message?

Nope. At the rate I use it, it could probably print for another year or two. It's still on the original toner cartridges. (They provided full ones in this model.)

The cartridges used to be as expensive as the printer, but I see Amazon has them for less... :rolleyes:

Rich

Back