Destinations

N8894J

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
mjlowry
Hello everyone I am a new member to this site and find it interesting. I am planning to my first 700 + nm flight from Arkansas this summer. I am looking for something that is somewhat remote and unusual....any suggestions.

Mark

New York City.
NYC is an awesome destination and a lot of fun in the summer.
Fly into KCDW (about 800 nm from Ark.) take the bus and be downtown in 30 mins.

EDIT: I notice you say remote, which I guess NY isn't... Still worth a visit!

Last edited:
Santa Fe. But watch density altitude.

Also, fly into Marfa or Alpine, Texas, rent a car and see the Big Bend country and Davis Mtns. (Summer may not be the best time for BB, however). Fantastic.

Any place in the Southwest is amazing. I haven't yet been there because I have to cancel everytime I try, but you may want to try Sedona, AZ. Many places in Colorado are awesome, also - like Aspen or if you want to try your skill, Telluride.

New Mexico (where I'm living) is great, but you'll be hard pressed to find a decent vacation destination here, even Santa Fe is lackluster for more than a few days (sorry David).

I'd check out Colorado for sure. If you decide to come out this way, let me know, and I'll help you with whatever advice you need.

Well, on a 800 mile circle around Arkansas are several of my favorites...they are all park related, of course! Just a couple today.

The "Gold Coast" of southeast Georgia. Savannah is a neat city to visit just north of there, but the main attraction is the low country south of the city. I recommend checking out the historic Jekyll Island Club on the island of the same name (reasonable rates to stay there even!) Another neat area is Cumberland Island National Seashore, a NPS area you take a ferry to from the town of St. Mary.

There are airports on St. Simons, Jekyll Island, and in St. Marys. There is a grass strip on Cumberland Island but Google Earth shows X's on it - no doubt the Park Service has closed it once they gained title from the former private owners as they are w'ont to do. Fly into St Marys, take the ferry over and camp a night or two. St. Simons is the most "touristy." Cumberland is the most beautiful! Jekyll and St Simons have golf if you are into that.

http://www.rvfreewheelin.com/cumberland_island.htm

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/travel/reviews/s/127/127572_us_georgias_gold_coast.html

Do you have Google Earth installed? The placemarks are attached below.

Next - a closer one is Rough River State Park in Kentucky. Very aviation friendly.

http://parks.ky.gov/resortparks/rr/

The Fontana/Nantahala area of NC is very beautiful. Fly over the Great Smoky Mountains National Park to Nantahala, North Carolina, land at "Ferguson Municipal" and stay at the Nantahala Outdoor Center and get in some great whitewater rafting. Neat place to stay. www.noc.com

The other direction...where does one start?!? :rofl:

I would recommend easing your way into mountain flying in Colorado or NM - there are some flight tourism companies out there that can help.

Finally, here's a neat website - www.adventurepilot.com
You can do your own search!

Oops, the forum software doesn't allow for the attachment of Google Earth placemarks...I'll have to look into that.

Wow! Thanks Richard for the gold mine of info. I will check out the sites and see where I might go.

Mark

N8894J said:
Wow! Thanks Richard for the gold mine of info. I will check out the sites and see where I might go.

Mark
In addition to Richard's great list, consider Charleston, SC as a nice stop. Then you can fly up the coast to Wilmington, NC, the outer banks of NC (Ocracoke, Hatteras, etc) and end up where it all began at FFA (First Flight - the home of the Wright Brothers 1st flight). The mountains of NC/VA/WVa are all beautiful, but scoffed at by folks from out west.

You can also try Williamsburg, VA for a historic stop.

Sounds like a nice trip. Enjoy.

NC Pilot said:
In addition to Richard's great list, consider Charleston, SC as a nice stop. Then you can fly up the coast to Wilmington, NC, the outer banks of NC (Ocracoke, Hatteras, etc) and end up where it all began at FFA (First Flight - the home of the Wright Brothers 1st flight). The mountains of NC/VA/WVa are all beautiful, but scoffed at by folks from out west.

Wow, how could I have forgotten about that?

I haven't flown there, but I have "been" to both Ocracoke and First Flight memorial and I agree they are both worthwhile destinations! Park Service area too ;)

The mountains of NC/VA/WVa are all beautiful, but scoffed at by folks from out west.

And for good reason. :D

Seriously, Mark is right. They have a beauty all their own and worth the visit.

NC Pilot said:

where it all began at FFA First Flight - the home of the Wright Brothers 1st flight.

Now that sounds very interesting...didn't think about that. Thanks to you too NC Pilot

Kitty Hawk is nice. If you make it out to FFA, go eat at a place called Chilli Peppers. Awesome place. See my pics in the photo gallery.

While my wife and I were at FFA for the centennial celebration there was a restaurant there which quickly became our favorite hangout. Great food and attentive service. Quirky decor which featured Christmas tree ornaments hanging from the ceiling. Every square inch of the red painted ceiling was covered with ornaments. We don't recall the name of the place but it was on the side street one block in from the ocean--between the highway and the ocean several blocks south of the road entrance to the Wright Bros memorial. Awesome restaurant and reasonably priced. Had a goofy gift shop inside the front doors.

NC Pilot said:

our mountains are also scoffed at by folks from New Zealand! (just had to mention that). A friend of mine from NZ was visiting a few years back, we sat out at a lovely winery and admired the Shenandoahs. He said 'THEY'RE HILLS!" when I told him the name of the mountains... :rolleyes:

sounds like you have a nice trip planned. have a great time! how much time are you planning to take, for this trip?

woodstock said:
sounds like you have a nice trip planned. have a great time! how much time are you planning to take, for this trip?

I will be taking 10 days for this trip in last spring or early summer (before it gets to hot) and then another 10 days (different location) in the early to late fall for the fall foliage.

Back