Destination Suggestions for Memorial Day

stagecoachco

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Tony B
So my plans for Memorial Day have fallen through. I have the 182 reserved and no place to go. I would love to camp with the plane if possible. I would like to stay within 300nm radius of Steamboat (KSBS). Does anyone know of an airport that meets those parameters?

Tony

West Yellowstone KWYS. Skyvector says 313nm from SBS.

You can camp on the field and go into the park. We went last August.

West Yellowstone KWYS. Skyvector says 313nm from SBS.

You can camp on the field and go into the park. We went last August.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will check that out. I am sure that a flight over the park would be beautiful!

Edit: Just went to Airnav and the airport's website. This looks perfect, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again. :cheerswine:

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion, I will check that out. I am sure that a flight over the park would be beautiful!

Edit: Just went to Airnav and the airport's website. This looks perfect, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again. :cheerswine:

The flight along the front of the Tetons is amazing. Just as we crossed into Yellowstone we saw Old Faithful erupting off in the distance. The Grand Prismatic Spring is better from the air than the ground (and that's saying something. It is spectacular from ground level)

Saw on the news last night that downtown Steamboat is flooding. You floating away yet up there? Wife says it was dry last weekend. You guys warm up a little too quick this week?

Saw on the news last night that downtown Steamboat is flooding. You floating away yet up there? Wife says it was dry last weekend. You guys warm up a little too quick this week?

Don't believe everything you hear on the news. It is only one building that is having problems, and it is built in a known low spot, and actually the problem is that the culvert installed a few years ago to drain the property is a wee bit small...
We are having warm weather coupled with wet snow/rain storms and cloudy days (in fact it is snowing as I type this, luckily I got a flight in earlier today :yesnod:), so runoff is going strong, but no water is sublimating or evaporating. The ground is saturated, so all snowmelt has nowhere to go. We had a very big winter, and our snowpack right now is at record levels. The Yampa through town is running at a level that would be normal for a month from now (in other words it is pretty high for April). When the snow REALLY starts sliding off the hills the Yampa will be raging!!!!

The flight along the front of the Tetons is amazing. Just as we crossed into Yellowstone we saw Old Faithful erupting off in the distance. The Grand Prismatic Spring is better from the air than the ground (and that's saying something. It is spectacular from ground level)

Right now, for the trip back, I am planning to fly from WYS west to Cody, then direct SBS, which takes us right over the park. I am going to try and time our departure around Old Faithful's schedule. Thanks again for the suggestion, I am really looking forward to this trip.

Silly Denver news stations. Thanks for the Update.

I really need to come up there and veg out sometime this summer.

I have access through someone I know to "space available" time at the Steamboat Grand, at not a very high discount, but which is a pretty pampered way to spend a weekend.

Costs a few (cough) bucks though.

Consider a Black Hills Tour - Custer (KCUT), Custer State Park (3V0), Spearfish (KSPF), Sturgis (49B )

There's camping at Custer State Park - don't know about the others.

Silly Denver news stations. Thanks for the Update.

I really need to come up there and veg out sometime this summer.

I have access through someone I know to "space available" time at the Steamboat Grand, at not a very high discount, but which is a pretty pampered way to spend a weekend.

Costs a few (cough) bucks though.

Let me know when you come up, we could meet for breakfast or lunch.

The Grand Prismatic Spring is better from the air than the ground (and that's saying something. It is spectacular from ground level)

That is DEFINITELY on my list, and should be on Tony's too. Unfortunately, last time I flew over Yellowstone I had never heard of the Grand Prismatic Spring, so I missed it. :(

Back