Destin / Eglin gouge

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
Anyone got the poop on flying into KDTS (Destin)?

From Montgomery, AOPA flight planner recommends:

MGM V329 CORKY KDTS

But, I seem to have some foggy recollection that Eglin prefers to route VFR traffic down the east side of the corridor, and keep the IFR traffic on the west side. If that is the case, I should file from Montgomery:

MGM V115 CEW KDTS

I have read the green book on Part 93, Subpart F with regards to this airspace, but it gives no guidance to route to file.

Anyone have the gouge on this area?

I'll be flying a /A aircraft, so airways, not direct.

Bill:

I've flown there many times both IFR and VFR. Never had an issue. VFR from the west I just flight followed from Mobile eastward and was vectored out over the water; then, into Destin. IFR, I've flown right over the northern route on the airway and not had an issue. Departing Destin IFR to the west was a trip, as Eglin did give me a pretty screwy clearance: climb to the northeast, then, turn back to the west. Look at the VORs on all sides if departing IFR.

Best,

Dave

Mike Schneider said:
Bill, there really isn't that much traffic in the Destin area. As Dave said, get flight following as far North as you can get it (if you are not IFR). Once you have done it, you are going to wonder what all the hoopla was about. You may want to consider going VFR this time of year. You can circumnavigate the thunderstorms if you can see them. -- Mike

Thanks, guys! I'm going to try going IFR if there isn't too much altitude/heading deviation needed to dodge the TS.

If you're going IFR it's a non-issue, especially if you're staying on the airways. It's unlikely the R's will be hot if there's wx in the area so deviations would be fairly easy to get if needed.

Ken Ibold said:
Bill, go farther south, say to Sarasota (SRQ) and I'll give you the special "friends of Ken" rate on a not-quite-but-almost beach house on Siesta Key. ( http://www.siesta4re.nt.com/cc3b.htm )

Bummer, I already have my non-refundable down on a breachfront condo for the long weekend (Friday thru Tuesday). But, we need to talk for the future!!! Your place looks very nice!

SCCutler said:
Fly early!

We were thinking of departing CHA around noon, but now I'm thinking 6-7am would be better, get on the ground in DTS before the buildups.

Bill Jennings said:
We were thinking of departing CHA around noon, but now I'm thinking 6-7am would be better, get on the ground in DTS before the buildups.

I definitely endorse that plan.

Plus, puts you on the beach sooner, never a bad thing!

Back