Desktop/screen video recorder?

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
I'm tinkering with the idea of making a light 'training' video on how to use a certain website. I thought the best way to do it would be to have something recording my screen as I go to the website, log-in, post a topic, post pics, etc. while I narrate it along the way.

Google lead me to 'CamStudio', an opensource screen recorder. Anyone have any experience with this or any other 'better' recorder?

I thought the best way to do it would be to have something recording my screen as I go to the website, log-in, post a topic, post pics, etc. while I narrate it along the way.

Google lead me to 'CamStudio', an opensource screen recorder. Anyone have any experience with this or any other 'better' recorder?

Windows Media Encoder - it's a free download, and will do exactly what you're asking.

Some years back, a company I worked for had a doodad that attached between the computer's VGA and sound jacks and the monitor / speakers. It captured the screen and sound, and fed them to whatever I wanted (a VCR, another computer, a television, or pretty much anything else that had audio/video inputs).

I used it mainly to record training videos for a company I worked for that was using SCO without a GUI. The quality was outstanding, it didn't use any resources on the machine it was recording, and it worked on any computer that had a VGA output. You just had to set a few switches to emulate the resolution and frequency of the attached monitor, and the computer picked it up as a generic monitor of those specifications.

-Rich

Back