Desktop dead

I had one do that- I think it's memory.

I had one do that- I think it's memory.

Spike's right. Your system, per the video, is beeping ONE-THREE-TWO

Dell says that is a "Memory not being properly identified or used". http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim3100/en/sm/adtshoot.htm#wp1124996

Pull the memory modules out and reinsert them. If that fails, you'll need to buy more memory of the same type. The 3100 uses DDR2-400, 240 pin memory. You can get 1GB ( 2 sticks of 512MB ) for $14.99 at NewEgg.

It's hard to tell what the lights on the front are doing--either lights 3 and 4 are on, or just light 3.

Look at which of the four lights are on, and compare to this table:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim3100/en/sm/adtshoot.htm#wp1130520

Last edited:
4 starts after reseating everything and all is well.
where do I send the check?
(thanks again)

OK, get this:

I pulled out a computer (a Dell Dimension 3100), one that I had completely blown out and reloaded for future use, to place back into service at the office. When I powered it up, it gave the same error codes Dave was hearing- "Is this stuff catching?!?," I asked myself.

Opened up the case to re-seat the RAM. Ah, there's the problem- the RAM is GONE- none installed, at all.

The RAM-Bandit struck! I honestly have no clue where it went, as I am the only one in my office with the tech-savvy to remove RAM. Weird.

OK, get this:

I pulled out a computer (a Dell Dimension 3100), one that I had completely blown out and reloaded for future use, to place back into service at the office. When I powered it up, it gave the same error codes Dave was hearing- "Is this stuff catching?!?," I asked myself.

Opened up the case to re-seat the RAM. Ah, there's the problem- the RAM is GONE- none installed, at all.

The RAM-Bandit struck! I honestly have no clue where it went, as I am the only one in my office with the tech-savvy to remove RAM. Weird.

Want some? I have some from the 3100 that went dead on me... it's free for your taking.

...The RAM-Bandit struck! I honestly have no clue where it went, as I am the only one in my office with the tech-savvy to remove RAM. Weird.

You need to frisk the maintenance guys. That stuff retails for like, $20 a stick now. :ihih:

a) can I use electric contact cleaner aerosol on the ram and its contact within the computer?
b) it is giving a new error on startup, I suspect when I unseated everything, I ....

Black screen:
"Floppy Diskette seek failure, press F1 to continue, F2 to run setup utility"
It works fine if I F1 past the message

Black screen:
Is the light on the floppy drive lit non-stop ?? If so you hooked the floppy cable up backwards (very common)

a) can I use electric contact cleaner aerosol on the ram and its contact within the computer?
b) it is giving a new error on startup, I suspect when I unseated everything, I ....

Black screen:

In addition to what Jesse said, press F2 to enter the BIOS setup and ensure that the Floppy Drive is not set as the first boot device. You want your Hard Drive to be the first boot device.

David, I give you credit... The harddrive would have been "ghosted" over to a new machine and THAT machine would be vacationing in a landfill! PC's are cheap enough
not to replace every few years....

David, I give you credit... The harddrive would have been "ghosted"

Spike and I were discussing my 'problem' just last night and could not decide which professional I need to see to get help.

At issue is a) my foolhardy and completely illogical thought that you should buy something, imagining it might last a while, and such new items might not have to be discarded every few years......and, b) my irrational and poignantly emotional 'Why do we have to throw it away, when it might be fixed!?'

Is the light on the floppy drive lit non-stop ?? If so you hooked the floppy cable up backwards (very common)

no its not. It flashes a lot then goes out.
I put in a disk and it is not reading it.
will recheck connections

press F2 to enter the BIOS setup and ensure that the Floppy Drive is not set as the first boot device. You want your Hard Drive to be the first boot device.

hm could that happen as a result of disconnecting and reconnecting everything? I had not gone into that page before. If so, might need help walking though that.

Back