Depression

U

Unregistered

I was hoping for some advice on depression meds and the FAA.

I have a history of episodes of what I would call mild depression. I've never seen anybody about it or been on any meds, and I've always come out the other side (though it's taken a few months at times). However, I'm now facing a situation where I've recently changed careers, moved a long ways from friends and family, and my marriage is breaking up (all within about 6 months). I'm hanging on so far, but I could see wanting a bit of help to get through this one.

I'm a PPL with thoughts of perhaps making a career out of flying in the future. What are the implications if I'm diagnosed with depression but seek counseling only and no meds? What are the implications if I take meds?

Regardless of the answer, I'll seek help if it gets bad enough, but I'll tough it out longer if seeking help could affect my medical status now or in the future.

I'm also going to have to make some choices about my mental status and wisdom of being PIC of an aircraft, but I'll take that one day by day.

Thanks for your help.

I don't think there are any implications from counselling only. Meds are a different story, but I think there are some that are FAA approved. I strongly suggest the AOPA medical resources.

Finally, take care of yourself FIRST, and worry about flying second. I know of a pilot who avoided medicine like the plague except for his FAA physical, so he missed a whole bunch of warning signs of the disease that killed him.

TMetzinger said:
I don't think there are any implications from counselling only. Meds are a different story, but I think there are some that are FAA approved. I strongly suggest the AOPA medical resources.

Finally, take care of yourself FIRST, and worry about flying second. I know of a pilot who avoided medicine like the plague except for his FAA physical, so he missed a whole bunch of warning signs of the disease that killed him.
What he said!

Get well first. Fly later.

Try calling your local hospital or your regular doc for a referral.

What TMetzinge thinks is not completely accurate, not entirely inaccurate either.

TMetzinger said:
I don't think there are any implications from counselling only. Meds are a different story, but I think there are some that are FAA approved.
Depending on the circumstances counseling may need to be reported.

The prohibition on mental conditions includes a broad catch all section that allows the AME to use his/her judgment.

(c) No other personality disorder, neurosis, or other mental condition that the Federal Air Surgeon, based on the case history and appropriate, qualified medical judgment relating to the condition involved, finds—
(1) Makes the person unable to safely perform the duties or exercise the privileges of the airman certificate applied for or held; or
(2) May reasonably be expected, for the maximum duration of the airman medical certificate applied for or held, to make the person unable to perform those duties or exercise those privileges.

I usually post a link but I am sorry I could not get the link to cut and paste properly. Go to the FAA.gov website and follow the airman certification links.

Here is the synopsis of medical standards:

http://www.faa.gov/about/office%5Forg/headquarters%5Foffices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/standards/

Here is the table of medical standards applicable to mental health:

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/app_process/exam_tech/item47/amd/table/

Here is the explanation of required disclosures regarding visits to medical professionals:

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/app_process/app_history/item19/

As an official with a pilot union (I'm no longer doing that) I had some experience with depressed pilots. I found tha the FAA would issue medical certificates (even first class) when the condition was no longer a factor and if medicatoins were used as part of the therapy, the requisite post use period had passed.

Your self diagonosis of depression may have been in error, you may think you are depressed when you have only suffered an anxiety or other non-depressive disorder that makes you feel bad. Without a professinal diagnosis you just don't know for sure.

I know of one pilot who was able to return to the air carrier left seat (first class medical) after about nine months. His depression was brought on by personal matters similar to the ones you are experiencing and with proper treatment (including medication and counseling) was resolved relatively quickly.

I know another pilot whose depression required long term use of medication - I don't believe any anti depressants are approved for use while flying - and hence was not allowed to return to flying. On the other hand, he lives a happier and healthier life.

These are difficult issues, many pilots fly for years suffering with depression and other treatable medical conditions because they are afraid of the consequences of disclosure. I think that is a poor choice and leads to a lower quality of life. But that is just my two cents worth.

Good luck and take care of yourself.

Arnold gave a pretty good summary. The diagnosis of "Depression" is grounding, so is taking any medications used to treat depression(even if it is being used to treat something else). But I also think "Depression" is over diagnosed. Clinical depression is a very serious problem and if you've ever been in a room with some who is truly depressed, you will feel like the world is resting on your shoulders within about 5 minutes of talking to them. They have a flat affect(no expression) and can't laugh at anything.
Alot of people have what I call "situational sadness". They feel down, tired, like things are closing in but can still enjoy parts of life, can honestly laugh a funny things. These are people with stories like yours, alot of tough stuff just hitting all at once and seems overwhelming.
Counseling can help and the meds can help. Getting past the "situations" help. This is temporarly grounding. Get over the situation and off meds for 90 days and a good letter from the treating physician that says you are doing well with no significant risk of recurrence and you can get your medical back.
I would not let anyone except a psychiatrist give you a dianosis of Depression. Real depression doesn't need sad situations to bring it on and is much more serious of a problem. And even the treatment can be problematic.

Barb(AME)

I had a psychiatrist tell me once that he would never diagnose someone with "depression" without lab work to back it up - and that drugs were a REQUIRED part of any corrective therapy for true depression. He said that the cases he saw were often follow-ons to heart attacks and other things that actually changed the body.

Barb, it sounds to me that, like you, he felt there was a significant difference between having external events affect someone and make them unhappy (i.e. situational sadness) and true clinical depression.

Thanks as always for your wisdom.

Remember all visits to a medical practioner are reportable. Discussion with clergy are not.

Len

Unregistered said:
I was hoping for some advice on depression meds and the FAA. Thanks for your help.
All the antidepressives are grounding. The process for getting ungrounded is to get a detailed letter from a board certified psychiatrist with his summary and statement that you had a transient situation which required treatment, is now resolved, no symptoms, and no need of further treatment. He should assess likelihood of future recurrence if he thinks he is able.

That letter at time of deferral to OKC will result six weeks later in a certificate. The long term implications for professional PIC, of having a special issuance certificate, is negative. However the long term life problems with having untreated depression are negative as well.

I agree with Barb (One Short). Do not let ANYBODY but a board certified psychiatrist diagnose you or treat you with antidepressives. You will need his letter anyway when you want to resume flying so you might as well start with the guy who has the tools.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back