Departure procedure Rwy 7 KXLL

bkspero

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
bkspero
Based on forecast winds, my IR checkride tomorrow will be done using runway 7 at KXLL. I've never used that runway, and when I looked up the departure procedure I (and my instructor) are not clear as to its meaning. So I could use your help in deciding what route to fly departing runway 7 when having to make a ca. 180 degree turn back to the west for the ETX VOR.

The DP reads: Rwy 7: climb heading 070 to 1800 before turning right, or for a climb in visual conditions; cross KXLL at or above 1900 before proceeding on course.

My question relates to the instruction to climb 070 to 1800 before turning right. I can interpret it in two ways. The simplest interpretation is that one must climb to 1800 on 070 then turn right whenever departing runway 7 in IMC. But that is the direction where the hills are. And 7/25 are left traffic at 1600, so a right turn at 1800 puts you flying head on towards airplanes on crosswind at only 200 ft above pattern altitude. It seems much safer to turn out to the left where the land is flat. Albeit that is towards KABE, but there is lots of room to make a 180 degree turn while staying well away from KABE. Plus you're talking to their Approach Controllers, so they are providing separation.

The other interpretation that I can see is that if one chooses to depart to the right (south), then one must climb to 1800 on 070. Otherwise, if one chooses to turn left, one can fly standard departure procedures (200 ft/nm until 400 ft before turning left), or some variant of that. That seems safer terrain-wise, pattern wise, and makes more sense to me.

So, which is it? Must I climb to 1800 then turn right? Or may I do a more usual left turn departure? And if we can't resolve this here, would it be an issue asking the examiner? I tried calling KXLL, but only got voice mail.

As always, thanks in advance.

Based on forecast winds, my IR checkride tomorrow will be done using runway 7 at KXLL. I've never used that runway, and when I looked up the departure procedure I (and my instructor) are not clear as to its meaning. So I could use your help in deciding what route to fly departing runway 7 when having to make a ca. 180 degree turn back to the west for the ETX VOR.

The DP reads: Rwy 7: climb heading 070 to 1800 before turning right, or for a climb in visual conditions; cross KXLL at or above 1900 before proceeding on course.

My question relates to the instruction to climb 070 to 1800 before turning right. I can interpret it in two ways. The simplest interpretation is that one must climb to 1800 on 070 then turn right whenever departing runway 7 in IMC. But that is the direction where the hills are. And 7/25 are left traffic at 1600, so a right turn at 1800 puts you flying head on towards airplanes on crosswind at only 200 ft above pattern altitude. It seems much safer to turn out to the left where the land is flat. Albeit that is towards KABE, but there is lots of room to make a 180 degree turn while staying well away from KABE. Plus you're talking to their Approach Controllers, so they are providing separation.

The other interpretation that I can see is that if one chooses to depart to the right (south), then one must climb to 1800 on 070. Otherwise, if one chooses to turn left, one can fly standard departure procedures (200 ft/nm until 400 ft before turning left), or some variant of that. That seems safer terrain-wise, pattern wise, and makes more sense to me.

So, which is it? Must I climb to 1800 then turn right? Or may I do a more usual left turn departure? And if we can't resolve this here, would it be an issue asking the examiner? I tried calling KXLL, but only got voice mail.

As always, thanks in advance.

Forget about radar and the TRACON unless, or until, they intervene. ODPs are non-radar.

The climb is to avoid the terrain to the right. Also, note the climb gradient to 2,600. If you elected to turn left to ETX (which is not an election for 25 and 33) you would not be bound by the climb to 1,800 but you would still be bound by the 380/nm to 2,600. Apparently that terrain to the east penetrates the TERPs Initial Climb Area (ICA) for Runway 7.

Yeah with 1,598 towers to the right of rwy 7 you better get to 1,800 ft before turning right. You're gonna get a clearance from ABE approach anyway. I'd give them a call and see what they normally assign for a heading to enter controlled airspace. I'd give you "enter controlled airspace heading 070, climb and maintain 3,000." Get radar contact and then issue a left turn direct ETX. If he's got someone on final to KABE then you might get a right turn once above the MVA or he could wait til you top his inbound and give you a left turn. Most likely ATC is going to lead you by the hand once they have radar. Your close enough to KABE that they'll probably get radar a couple hundred feet above the ground.

Last edited:
Yeah with 1,598 towers to the right of rwy 7 you better get to 1,800 ft before turning right. You're gonna get a clearance from ABE approach anyway. I'd give them a call and see what they normally assign for a heading to enter controlled airspace. I'd give you "enter controlled airspace heading 070, climb and maintain 3,000." Get radar contact and then issue a left turn direct ETX. If he's got someone on final to KABE then you might get a right turn once above the MVA or he could wait til you top his inbound and give you a left turn. Most likely ATC is going to lead you by the hand once they have radar. Your close enough to KABE that they'll probably get radar a couple hundred feet above the ground.

True enough. But, I framed my answer in what his examiner would likely be asking on his IR oral.

True enough. But, I framed my answer in what his examiner would likely be asking on his IR oral.

Absolutely. The DPE is definitely going to ask about ODPs and see if he understands the one out of his airport.

Forget about radar and the TRACON unless, or until, they intervene. ODPs are non-radar.

The climb is to avoid the terrain to the right. Also, note the climb gradient to 2,600. If you elected to turn left to ETX (which is not an election for 25 and 33) you would not be bound by the climb to 1,800 but you would still be bound by the 380/nm to 2,600. Apparently that terrain to the east penetrates the TERPs Initial Climb Area (ICA) for Runway 7.

I understood about the climb gradient. At 80 kts it only needs a little over 500 ft/min, and that should be no problem.

Beyond that, what I infer from your reply is that the Rwy 7 DP does not require a right turn. I may elect to turn left.

But it also sounds like a better option would be to maintain 070 at >380 ft/nm and, once I clear the pattern, contact Approach expecting vectors enroute.

Correct?

I understood about the climb gradient. At 80 kts it only needs a little over 500 ft/min, and that should be no problem.

Beyond that, what I infer from your reply is that the Rwy 7 DP does not require a right turn. I may elect to turn left.

But it also sounds like a better option would be to maintain 070 at >380 ft/nm and, once I clear the pattern, contact Approach expecting vectors enroute.

Correct?

I was advising only about the ODP as if radar was not an option. I was thinking in terms of an IR oral.

On that academic level, indeed you may turn left provided you maintain the climb gradient. The Runway 7 ODP does not require a right turn. Rather that is a restriction if you elect to turn right.

This is all about ODPs without ATC intervention, which is more or less academic at that particular airport.

All right. Thanks to all for your help.

Back