Departure Procedure from KSMO - HELP.

amoel

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
amoel
Hello Guys,

I am flying to KSMO tomorrow, and probably departing after tower is closed, my destination after that is KMYF in San Diego (southbound departure).

I am reading on the AF/D that the departure procedures is: "... or for climb in visual conditions: cross SMO VOR/DME at or above 1200, then climb to 5000 via SMO R-210 and LAX R-276 to SADDE INT."

It is not clear to me why I need to go to SADDE after crossing SMO at or above 1200? the way I understand this is to takeoff and make right crosswind, right downwind and then cross SMO VOR (heading south already) at or above 1200.

At this point, I already want to have contact with ATC or be high enough to fly the Los Angeles Special flight rules southbound... can any one tell me why I need to go back to SADDE? or how would you guys do this??

Also, since tower is closed, if I need to get a clearance that might make things easier by calling SOCAL app on the 800 number? maybe this is the way to go?

Advice please...

That's an IFR departure procedure. VFR you can depart however you want. SMO has both left and right traffic patterns.

If you want to do the Special Flight Rules it's a good idea to depart and go for a climbing right 270 degree turn up to 3500ft. Cross the SMO VOR at 3500ft southbound on a 132 radial, self announce on the published frequency. Make sure you squawk correctly - think it's 1201, but please check. Don't forget to offset by 10 degrees to the left right after departure for noise abatement. No clearance required.

So to summarise: left 10 degrees right after takeoff, then aim for the Santa Monica Pier/water/beach when you're over the Penmar Golf Club. Gently start your right 270 degree climbing wide turn over the water (or right before it) so as to position yourself on a 132 radial over SMO at 3500ft. Self announce on published freq: "Special Flight Rules, Cessna thisorthat N12345 tracking southbound at 3500ft, Special Flight Rules". Squawk whatever the published procedure says.

Dead simple.

If you don't want to climb that high, or want to track more inland, you can do either a left or right downwind departure and go up to 2000ft and then pass east of downtown (over the LA river) and fly below the approaches into LAX and get south that way. Just watch out right under the approach, the Bravo floor goes to 2000ft, so it's best to drop down to 1500ft for that portion. It's a spectacular view flying past downtown and under the approaches into LAX at night. As always, it's a good idea to give position reports on the traffic advisory frequency over LA on 123.02, so that they can avoid bumping into you.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot! that sounds simple enough and that is what I will do provided there are no clouds. Otherwise, will just get a clearance on the 800 and fly whatever they give me.

Another SMO trick: If there is a marine layer by the coast and in the way of your departure from rwy 21, normally you can depart with a tailwind on 03 and just clear it if you want to stay VFR. The ML normally just covers the western part of the airfield.

Another SMO trick: If there is a marine layer by the coast and in the way of your departure from rwy 21, normally you can depart with a tailwind on 03 and just clear it if you want to stay VFR. The ML normally just covers the western part of the airfield.

There hasn't been a marine layer at SMO since October . . . . and will not be one in the next few days

Thanks a lot! that sounds simple enough and that is what I will do provided there are no clouds. Otherwise, will just get a clearance on the 800 and fly whatever they give me.

I've not tried myself, but I'd be surprised if you could get a clearance after-hours out of SMO, because of its proximity to LAX. Basically in order to give you a void time, departures from the north complex at LAX would have to stop until you were in the air and radar identified.

But you shouldn't need one, as the weather is gorgeous right now and will remain that way for the forecasted period. Enjoy the flight!

I've not tried myself, but I'd be surprised if you could get a clearance after-hours out of SMO, because of its proximity to LAX. Basically in order to give you a void time, departures from the north complex at LAX would have to stop until you were in the air and radar identified.

"Have to stop?" its not that close. . . the reason is that the departure procedure takes you out over the ocean and SoCal likes to turn the northbound departures NW toward VTU - as does the SMO departure - and you need to be a min alt for that to work for them to stay clear of the rocks.

Last edited:
"Have to stop?" its not that close. . . the reason is that the departure procedure takes you out over the ocean and SoCal likes to turn the northbound departures NW toward VTU - as does the SMO departure - and you need to be a min alt for that to work for them to stay clear of the rocks.

Thanks for the clarification. Certainly So Cal could give someone a 250º heading after take-off and it would keep them clear of the LAX departures, but would they? They don't do that during the day, even when there is a giant line of departures at LAX ready to go. They just make you wait, sometimes as much as 30 minutes. I imagine at night it would just be "unable" or maybe, "try again at 1am" (which is beyond the departure curfew at SMO).

But, again, I don't know. I haven't tried it myself--I always depart during the day. I would LOVE to know, though. It would be nice to know I *could* depart at night.

Last edited:
I am flying to KSMO tomorrow, and probably departing after tower is closed, my destination after that is KMYF in San Diego (southbound departure).

How late are you planning to depart? Curfew at SMO is 11pm local time.

I couldn't make the flight! The TAF which by the way became a reality called VLIFR with low visibility and lower than the approach ceilings... Missed my night flying seminar, darn.

Back