Density Altitude

Doesn't Leadville (LXV) have an unofficial "suggestion" that if the temp is 85+, no ops are allowed for little airplanes?
If you need a suggestion to keep you from doing something like taking off from Leadville with the DA that high, you probably need a refresher on High Altitude op's.

If you need a suggestion to keep you from doing something like taking off from Leadville with the DA that high, you probably need a refresher on High Altitude op's.

:dunno:
Not much higher than when I was there the first time. Keep it light and fly something with sufficient performance.

Oh yee of great faith - don't you know that the engine could have stalled at any second? We were lucky not to make a smoking hole I say, lucky. I pulled that aircraft into the sky by shear strength, strength alone. If I'd even changed one thing we'd still be there, maybe in pieces, but still there. :rofl::rofl:

Shoulda done a zoom climb. ;) :stirpot:

Oh yee of great faith - don't you know that the engine could have stalled at any second? We were lucky not to make a smoking hole I say, lucky. I pulled that aircraft into the sky by shear strength, strength alone. If I'd even changed one thing we'd still be there, maybe in pieces, but still there. :rofl::rofl:
but, but, but....did you file a flight plan?

Yes, it's an old video...but a good one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihee35QrWtk

Mike

I enjoyed watching that - thanks for posting!

I love those old instructional films from that era. I remember as a kid in elementary school in the 70's, they'd assemble us all in the auditorium to watch films. I think everybody who made instructional films back then used the same music :)

Most DA incidents that I am familiar with have to do with taking off at full rich and not leaning for best power. Now I fly behind a Rotax and that isn't a concern, my Rotax performs fine at full rich even at 14,000'. I have to wonder what is the difference, perhaps compression ratio.

Before you point out that Rotax has altitude compensating carbs be advised that they do not lean at full throttle so I am full rich for tak-offs, climbs and even WOT cruising at high altitude.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back