Densely Populated Areas

Stache

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Stache
To: all FAA Inspectors and DARs with Function 47

With the release of Change 2 to Order 8130.2F, the Operating Limitations for Experimental LSA (ELSA) have been changed to allow flight over densely populated areas if sufficient altitude is maintained to effect a safe emergency landing in the event of a power unit failure (while operating under Phase II limitations).

Owners of ELSA previously certificated under 21.191(i)(1) before Change 2 to Order 8130.2F became effective (7/10/06) may request to have these new limitations (given in Paragraph 144.d.) issued to their aircraft. This can happen in only two ways:

1) An FAA Inspector (not a DAR) can issue an AMENDED certificate in accordance with Par. 27.b. This action may NOT require a certification inspection of the aircraft, but it will require the registered owner to submit an application, Form 8130-6.

2) An FAA Inspector or a DAR with Function 47 may perform a RECURRENT certification in accordance with the certification procedures found in Par. 88 and 142. This will require the registered owner to surrender the original airworthiness certificate and operating limitations and submit a new application, Form 8130-6. This action WILL require a certification inspection of the aircraft.

This guidance has been coordinated with AIR-200 and AFS-610.

Stache

We have heard about lifting the restriction, but have not been given at date. When it does happen it will be a change to FAA Order 3120.2F and a FAA Inspector will ammend the certificate. I will be in Okalahom City in a couple of weeks and will try and find out where the FAA is in the process.

Stache

"With the release of Change 2 to Order 8130.2F, the Operating Limitations for Experimental LSA (ELSA) have been changed to allow flight over densely populated areas if sufficient altitude is maintained to effect a safe emergency landing in the event of a power unit failure (while operating under Phase II limitations)."

I noticed it says something similar to that on my EX-AB Phase II
limitations I just got.

RT

Your limitation should have a pargraph 6 that reads like this:

"This aircraft is prohibited from operating in congested airways or over densely populated areas unless directed by air traffic control, or unless sufficient altitude is maintained to effect a safe emergency landing in the event of a power unit failure, without hazard to persons or property on the ground."

This is the change in FAA Order 8130.2F change 2 para. 153

Stache

Back