Denied...?

Tbirdfrost

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
TbirdFrost
Hey ya'll,
Found this during my quest to get "reinstated." I went for my Class 1 to continue my rotary rating. I disclosed all the obligatory post-military things; OSA being one of them. FAA gave me a request for more info and all of which was satisfactory; however, the exception was my OSA. I was issued a CPAP, but it fell offline due to potential of cancer causing elements internal to the device. So I did not use it for 2 years as I waited for my replacement as advised by the FDA and manufacturer. I just got my replacement last week (!!!) but I have been in an "undetermined eligibility for airman med cert."

I have asked and received 2 extensions while waiting for my CPAP but that was nearly a year ago. I am currently going for Sport Pilot, but would like some clarification on what state I am in...Did I ever? hold a med card, can I qual for Basic at this point or even my drivers license. My AME is of no help and sent a text saying, "Good luck," when I posed this question.

Lastly, with the timeframe set forth by the FAA, they want like 6 months of data with all the previously stated metrics we know and love.

Should I just reapply for a Class 3?

Any info would be much appreciated.

CHeers,

-TbirdFrost

I think you have to check with the FAA to see what status your medical is in currently. If you haven't done anything with your medical application and your extensions expired, I believe they should have closed your file with a denial. If that is true, you will need to get a class 3 to get Basic Med or go Sport Pilot, as your most recent medical ended in a denial. I would recommend a different AME also...

Sounds like you submitted a medical application that was deferred. The only outcome is approval or denial. If you haven’t received an approval, you aren’t eligible for BasicMed.

If you can’t satisfy the FAA’s evidentiary requirements and they won’t continue to kick the can via an extension, then the FAA will deny. In your case, if the OSA evidence is all that’s required, it’s not a big deal. Get the new CPAP, use it and get the evidence required for an initial issuance.

You can find all the disposition information for OSA at the FAA link below.

SkyChaser and TCABM,

I appreciate you taking the time to assist. This has been a long road and will be taking both sets of advise:
1: New AME
2: Continue gathering OSA evidence and press w/an initial issuance.

Thanks again!

You need to get a current (not a Phillips) get a record of tratment (>30 days with 75% of nights showing more than 6 hour's use) and get the OSA status (initial) workheet done (completley filled out and signed).

Then reapply.

bbchien,
Great point! It is looking like blue skies are once again in my future!

Back