Dell Laptop Keyboard replacement

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
How difficult is it? I got a Dell Laptop last year and its great for what I need. super small and lightweight. I was eating an orange push pop the other day and dripped on the keyboard. now ive got a couple stuck/sticky keys and a few others that flat out don't work. I see replacement keyboards for really cheap. do they basically just screw in?

On most laptops, there is a screw somewhere on the back that you undo, and then there's some secret latch mechanism to remove the keyboard. What modem laptop do you have, I can find it for you.

What modem laptop do you have, I can find it for you.

I assume you mean model. I think its an Inspiron. Its 2001 vintage. Ill search around and see if I can figure it out.

I assume you mean model. I think its an Inspiron. Its 2001 vintage. Ill search around and see if I can figure it out.

It's an easy swap (I had that laptop a while back and went through 2 keyboards)

Find a hardware geek and he should have the tiny tools and know which screw(s) to remove.

I have found innumberable youtube videos that tell you how to dismantle/reassemble/repair all sorts of electronics.

good thing i have more than one computer. i suspect you shouldn't replace the keyboard while the computer is running with the how to video.

Just a couple of sticky keys?

Remove it from the computer and rinse in warm water, the shower will be better. Shake gently to remove excess water and then LET DRY FOR 24 HOURS!

Please if you try this don't start by taking a big drink of water and then spraying it out your nose onto the keyboard when you read something funny. Bogies are harder to get out than sticky sugary stuff.

Last edited:
Vice grips and BFH. Only tools you should ever need to fix anything.

Vice grips and BFH. Only tools you should ever need to fix anything.
rofl

maybe if its really screwed up ill make a youtube video.

'how to repair your dell/gateway laptop keyboard'

hold laptop with vice grips

strike with BFH until keyboard pops loose

place new keyboard in general location of old keyboard

strike with BFH until new keyboard is in place.

I should have added, the youtubes have not only been accurate but useful; don't dismiss the idea just yet!

rofl

maybe if its really screwed up ill make a youtube video.

'how to repair your dell/gateway laptop keyboard'

hold laptop with vice grips

strike with BFH until keyboard pops loose

place new keyboard in general location of old keyboard

strike with BFH until new keyboard is in place.

Hmm I think you need to film that and post it as a How To on youtube :yes:

well the keyboard basically just screws in. that was easy

Just a couple of sticky keys?

Remove it from the computer and rinse in warm water, the shower will be better. Shake gently to remove excess water and then LET DRY FOR 24 HOURS!

Please if you try this don't start by taking a big drink of water and then spraying it out your nose onto the keyboard when you read something funny. Bogies are harder to get out than sticky sugary stuff.

I just did that with my crumby Microsoft keyboard - after I spilled some water on it.

It's dead, Jim.

nope, easier. 6 screws on the back and then it just popped right out.

not yet pete, im saving that for reassembly

well i put the keyboard back in after work and ive still got a few keys that stick. off to find a new keyboard. its a Gateway 200STM laptop.

Im still looking for a reasonable keyboard. I've been keeping an eye on ebay and bidding on laptops as they come up. often laptops with broken screens or something else but working keyboards go for less than the cost of a new keyboard. i just keep missing the bid. If anyone has or knows where I can find a Gateway 200STM laptop let me know!

well i found a parts laptop on ebay. only thing really wrong with it was it was missing the 0 key, i picked it up for 41 bucks. the 0 key was under the keyboard but the guts for the key were gone so i switched the "new" keyboard over to my laptop and harvested a key from the broken keyboard to fix the 0 key. Now its working great!

Back