Delay in Airnav comments

poadeleted3

Pattern Altitude
I'm wondering if anyone else is noticing delays in getting comments posted on Airnav? I posted a complimentary, and well deserved IMHO, post about Wings Field after the Fly-B-Que Adam Zucker organized, and I've yet to see it posted. James Gratton's comments are there, but several folks had said they were going to post also. Does anyone know if Airnav has like a one post per day policy?

I submitted a photo of an airport over a week ago and it's still not on airnav. I've noticed their server is really slow sometimes too. Wonder what's up.

I posted a photoi and some comments once, they took several months (!) to reach.

Joe: Your right! Not sure what's going on w/ Airnav. First I was wondering where all the post from the fly b Q were. Saw Jims but I knew there would be others. Second I posted in airnav about 2 weeks ago regarding a trip to 58M Ciecle county MD. I looked today and it wasn't there. Today I reposted about 58M and about KPVC. I wonder if they will show up. I guess we should contact the webmaster @ Airnav.:dunno:

when you post a comment at airnav, it says that it will take about 2 weeks to post, because they review the comments. I had the same issues posting about Santa Fe, Moriarty, and Farmington

I posted comments and updated fuel prices for each of my stops on my flight to Texas last week. None of them have appeared yet. Previously they were up within 24 hours. What is going on here? I hope they are not in trouble. I find it an invaluable resource.
Stephen.

Based upon the volume of new advertisements I have observed associated with the various airport pages there, my guess is that they are busy tending first to paying customers. Which is fine, so long as they remember that stale content renders a site irrelevant.

They may be trying to review and moderate the comments before posting
them. We had a little deal at our airport where a guy was flying a foreign
made aircraft (Sting) that wasn't eligible for normal certifications with
no pilots license. After numerous attempts to restrict that, he was
videoed leaving with a passenger in it and turned in to the FAA. Hence
he posted bad comments about the FBO that just weren't true. (KCEK)

I have always found a delay in getting stuff posted on airnav. And I think it is getting worse. I may have gotten posted more quickly than some for LOM because I have posted frequently in the past. Don't know. And I agree with all that the server is definitely slow, even here at work with a T1 line on my end.

Still the best game in town for airport information beyond restaurants. (100 dollar hamburger for that)

Jim G

People seem to be quite willing to knock Airnav, so I'll say a few words in the site's defense.

Airnav is basically a one man show, started several years ago by Paolo Santos as an effort to help pilots get better deals on fuel. Since then it has evolved into a comprehensive airport directory that I and many others find more useful than any other flight planning tool. While the site now lists contact info as only a corporation in NJ, I have no doubt it is still a mom-and-pop operation. It must take a great deal of time to keep the thing running. Years ago Paolo asked for donations to support it. In place of that, Airnav now solicits advertisements from aviation businesses. Those who pay get a more prominent listing, but every business can be listed with at least a phone no. and comments.

I suspect delays in comments are due to the time it takes for the very limited "staff" to review them and make sure nothing slanderous gets included. Some posts in the past were downright nasty, including personal insults, and the comments stay posted for a long, long time. I have not experienced any delays, and I am a frequent contributor. I sent in two fuel prices on Sunday; both were up on Monday. Comments genrally take just a day or two longer.

On the subject of comments, I'll tell you what I'm looking for. I like to know first and foremost what fees I'll be faced with. Try to be specific as to landing fees, parking fees, ramp fees, fuel discounts or amount needed to waive any fees. The type of aircraft you're flying is important to include too. Do they have ropes, or do you need your own? Do they have hangars in case the weather's bad? How can you get where you need to go? Are rental cars easy to get? Is there an hour wait for a taxi? Anything you can walk to, like an on-field restaurant, or one nearby? Deluxe satellite weather feed or a rotary phone outside?

Happily I saved $90 this past week by parking six nights at Andrews-Murphy rather than Asheville NC, thanks to an Airnav comment.

I find a lot of the comments are along the lines of "Nice folks," with an occasional "not nice folks." These don't help much, unless perhaps one sentiment far exceeds the other. Nor does echoing the "Nice folks" comment from a few weeks before.

I generally plan x-country fuel stops based on Airnav and have never been disppointed, since I know what to expect? A hole in the wall with rock-bottom self serve fuel prices? Red carpet treatment and help with hotels etc but higher prices? Sometimes I want each type of FBO.

Finally, please take a minute and post those fuel prices. You need to register, but you did for this site too. Even if the price hasn't changed in months, send in an update. It's much more helpful to know the price a relatively current.

Sorry for the rant, but I love Airnav.

Jon

4CornerFlyer said:
People seem to be quite willing to knock Airnav, so I'll say a few words in the site's defense.

Sorry for the rant, but I love Airnav.

Jon

Jon: I think you misunderstand this thread. We too love Airnav. I know I do. It is an awesome resource! We are just perplexed as to why it takes so long to get things posted. I posted on May 23 and only saw it appear today June 8. I know that Joe Williams posted something positive about an airport on May 14 or shortly there after that has not yet appeared. I still have other posts that have not appeared. Of course if it is a one man show that would explain a lot. I don't think the posts criticizes AirNav as much as expresses concern.

AdamZ said:
Jon: I think you misunderstand this thread. We too love Airnav. I know I do. It is an awesome resource! We are just perplexed as to why it takes so long to get things posted. I posted on May 23 and only saw it appear today June 8. I know that Joe Williams posted something positive about an airport on May 14 or shortly there after that has not yet appeared. I still have other posts that have not appeared. Of course if it is a one man show that would explain a lot. I don't think the posts criticizes AirNav as much as expresses concern.

As I said in my previous post, it is the best show in town. I am registered and really do love the info for the airports. Especially the photo. It is often the only place that I can find a good photo of an airport before I try to find it from the left seat. I really do like Airnav.

Jim G

I also love Airnav. I do disagree, though, that the "nice airport" posts aren't helpful. I fly in an area with lots of airports, and am new enough that I still get a thrill out of going to new ones, even if I'm just going to walk around for a couple minutes. The ones with lots of "nice airport" posts can help me pick out which ones I want to go waste a bit of time at :)

Adam, I know most people are supportive of Airnav. I would just ask more people to be supportive.

Every day on this board people post about their most recent flight, whether it be a few trips around the pattern at home base or a visit to a new airport.

I would ask that in addition to sharing that information here, the poster might take a minute and update the fuel price on Airnav. You don't have to buy fuel; just look at what the price is on the pump or at the FBO.

Joe, I too use a balance of good vs bad comments to decide where to go. I just prefer it when people put in that second sentence to explain what it is that makes an airport/FBO good or bad.

Jon

Last edited:
Back