Declining Pilot Population

Flavius Renatus

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Flavius Renatus
Hi Everyone,

I have been a lurker for a long time and finally decided to post something. :)

There has been a lot of discussion lately form the various groups about the declining GA Pilot Populations. There are a thousand different reasons why and they have all put hashed to death on the various boards so I don't want to go over everything again.

I want to offer an idea, maybe not a solution, but something that I think might help bring new people to our sport.

First, a little back ground, I am 43 yrs old and discovered flying about 4 years ago. I fly mainly for fun (taking the family on regional trips, to breakfast, lunch, etc.) and a small bit for business. Flying is my only real hobby, I enjoy is a great deal, and don't want to see it disappear or become so expensive (due to small numbers of people involved) that only the super rich can afford it. I fly about 50-60 hrs a year and own a 1969 Cessna 172.

I got into flying because I ran into an old friend who has a 1950's Cessna 170 hangered at our local grass field. I have known this guy for years but never new he was a pilot until I saw an AOPA sticker on his car and asked him what it was. We then started talking about flying and how he learned, where he flew, etc. and in the end, since I was interested, he offered to take me up.

From that point I was hooked.

In the beginning I had a thousand questions. I had no idea where to get lessons, if there were local rentals, or clubs..I did not even know that such a think as a flying club existed that made flying very affordable. The local Mid-sized airport looks like a fortress and I did not know where to go.

One of the things I noticed is that most pilots do not advertise the are pilots..I know the jokes about trying to pick up girls by telling then you are a pilots, and the jokes about guys telling everyone that they are but in reality I think a lot of us do not mention we are Pilots because of the stigma placed on our hobby by certain political leaders over the last couple of decades (say since the late 1980's), leaders who wish to incite some kind of "class" divide. I think it make us (even inadvertently) back away from mentioning what we enjoy doing.

I want to stop that behavior. There is nothing shameful is what we do, anyone who owns a boat, or races cars, or owns a horse can understand our passion because they spend a lot of money on theirs. We need to stop hiding and feeling maybe a little embarrassed. I think we need to promote GA.

Maybe one way to stop the loss of GA Pilots is for us (the common GA Pilot) to become better recruiters. AOPA has tried, the EAA has tried (and been more successful in my option) but they are organizations, not people and cannot seem to get the job done (not for a lack of trying).

Maybe we should advertise the fact that we are Airman, I am not saying by walking around and blabbing about GA, but something like wearing a Lapel pin or a Ball Cap, or a Polo shirt with some kind of Logo. And we as Pilots buy these items and agree that when we wear these items, it is OK for people to ask us about Flying. The local guys are the ones that know were you can go to learn to fly, what there is to do locally, who the instructors are, where the clubs are based, if there are any rentals, etc. The local guys can help locally.

Then the AOPA's and EAA of the world can advertise what the logo means and tell young men and woman that it is OK, if they have questions to ask someone wearing the pin and that person will be happy to talk to them about flying.

We as GA Pilots, need to be good salesmen and saleswoman for our hobby and if you don't feel like talking to people, don't wear the Airman's pin or what ever it is and people will never know.

I would enjoy knowing if someone is a pilot, it gives an immediate connection.

I think someone told me we are less then 2% of the population and that number will get smaller, maybe this will help slow the decline.

Thanks for reading sorry for the spelling and grammar, they have never been my strong points.

Any other ideas?

Flav

Last edited:
How do you know there's a pilot in the room?

Don't worry, he'll tell you.

Well I agree. We need to recruit more people in. Easier than it sounds though.

As you said many factors for the decline. I'd say the number one is cost. I've been flying people for almost 20 yrs and when they find out how much it costs to get a license, they say forget it. I've owned planes for 7 years now and when people find out how much I spend per year (about 10 grand) on a plane they say forget it.

The only thing that keeps us in this racket is simply the love of flying. It makes no economic sense what we do. For instance just this year I had to buy 2 new Mags for my plane. They were about $900 a piece. My mech said 5 yrs ago they were half that price. Funny thing is they're both bad too! Champion is fixing them for free though. It's just too darn expensive.

When I got my license back in the 90s it cost me $42 to rent a C-150 per hr. Gas was $1.98 per gal. My instructor charged $15 per hr. I spent about $3,000 to get my PPL back then. Today you'd spend double that. Is it worth it? I try and tell people that I take up it is but only they can make that decision.

Today people have too many distractions besides taking up flying. Most people have maxed out their finances and don't have enough disposable income to afford flying. It's all about sacrifices for most of us and if we don't make it a priority, well then we'll drift away from it because of the cost.

Getting a license should be a step to go on to something bigger. Whether that be owning a plane or becoming a professional pilot. I think a lot of the people who get their license think, well I'll just rent planes for the fun of it. I don't think many of them stick with it. Also, it seems more people who start flying find out the hard work involved doesn't match the vision of the dream of flight they have. Unfortunately flights aren't always beautiful sunsets and glassy smooth air. Sometimes it's bouncing around in the summer heat doing turns around a point. That stuff is work and a lot of folks these days don't want to deal with it.

I think we all have an obligation to mentor the next generation. Of course Young Eagles is a prime example. If we can get kids to realize that the hard work and cost of flying is worth it than GA will survive. Really though it's the aviation bug. It bites some of us while others just don't get it.

Last edited:
I tell people. Just like someone asks a boat owner or a camper owner what they do on weekends, I'll answer. But I don't sugar-coat the expenses.

Reality is that with today's prices, folks have to have a significant income to do it as a hobby or for recreation. The average income level in the middle class isn't climbing, but expenses are.

Many folks I've run into who have the fiscal ability have other toy addictions that take too much of their finances to add an aircraft on top of it. Fast cars, campers, four-wheelers, motorcycles, what have you.

They have to get "hooked" and start to release some of those toys to feed an airplane habit. ;)

I also don't sugar coat the amount of time it takes to stay current (and hopefully safe). Folks with kids and one other time-consuming hobby will just barely be able to fly enough to be safe, IMHO.

Realistically, I run into about one person a year who really can take up the hobby. I drag them up for flights and set the hook. After that, I'm around for questions, but they have to go figure out an FBO and instructor and start. Non-self-starters, I've found just start and leave.

Well I agree. We need to recruit more people in. Easier than it sounds though.

As you said many factors for the decline. I'd say the number one is cost. I've been flying people for almost 20 yrs and when they find out how much it costs to get a license, they say forget it. I've owned planes for 7 years now and when people find out how much I spend per year (about 10 grand) on a plane they say forget it.

The only thing that keeps us in this racket is simply the love of flying. It makes no economic sense what we do. For instance just this year I had to buy 2 new Mags for my plane. They were about $900 a piece. My mech said 5 yrs ago they were half that price. Funny thing is they're both bad too! Champion is fixing them for free though. It's just too darn expensive.

When I got my license back in the 90s it cost me $42 to rent a C-150 per hr. Gas was $1.98 per gal. My instructor charged $15 per hr. I spent about $3,000 to get my PPL back then. Today you'd spend double that. Is it worth it? I try and tell people that I take up it is but only they can make that decision.

Today people have too many distractions besides taking up flying. Most people have maxed out their finances and don't have enough disposable income to afford flying. It's all about sacrifices for most of us and if we don't make it a priority, well then we'll drift away from it because of the cost.

Getting a license should be a step to go on to something bigger. Whether that be owning a plane or becoming a professional pilot. I think a lot of the people who get their license think, well I'll just rent planes for the fun of it. I don't think many of them stick with it. Also, it seems more people who start flying find out the hard work involved doesn't match the vision of the dream of flight they have. Unfortunately flights aren't always beautiful sunsets and glassy smooth air. Sometimes it's bouncing around in the summer heat doing turns around a point. That stuff is work and a lot of folks these days don't want to deal with it.

I think we all have an obligation to mentor the next generation. Of course Young Eagles is a prime example. If we can get kids to realize that the hard work and cost of flying is worth it than GA will survive. Really though it's the aviation bug. It bites some of us while others just don't get it.

I agree with almost everything you state, it is very expensive and time consuming.

My point is a lot of folks do not understand that this is a viable hobby. There are flying clubs that you can get into that make flying pretty inexpensive in comparison to owning the plane yourself. I don't think a lot of folks are even aware of this option.

Were do they go to ask?

As I stated above, I had never considered flying as a hobby until I met someone who shared with me the information on how it is done.

Let them make the decision if they can afford it or not. We need to be the local information resource available for them.

Flav

Thinking back over the years, I think I can count more than a dozen pilots who started by flying with me, and whom I encouraged or instructed or both. All became airplane owners somewhere along the way, and one guy accumulated ~3,500 hours. At this point I think I'm the only one that is still an active pilot.

In answer to your question, I don't think there's a viable answer. Too many factors are working against us, including the age of the pilot population. In short, we're screwed.

I agree with almost everything you state, it is very expensive and time consuming.

My point is a lot of folks do not understand that this is a viable hobby. There are flying clubs that you can get into that make flying pretty inexpensive in comparison to owning the plane yourself. I don't think a lot of folks are even aware of this option.

Were do they go to ask?

As I stated above, I had never considered flying as a hobby until I met someone who shared with me the information on how it is done.

Let them make the decision if they can afford it or not. We need to be the local information resource available for them.

Flav

Why is the pilot population declining? Cost is certainly a factor, but people seem to have lots of money for other "toys."

Personally, I think it's because America is becoming a nation of watchers instead of doers.

What did Clinton learn while campaigning for the Presidency that became his mantra?
Why is the pilot population declining? Cost is certainly a factor, but people seem to have lots of money for other "toys."

Personally, I think it's because America is becoming a nation of watchers instead of doers.

I tend to agree with your watcher vs doer assertion, but also, we're a society vested in immediate gratification. You can't earn a pilot's license in a weekend and for $500. It takes a couple of months even if you can find the time and money for 5 hours of training a month, and you're probably looking at a $5k cost in the best case.

On the other hand, you can buy a Porsche 911 or an expensive ski boat and pretty much start using it for the intended purpose as soon as you get it out of the showroom.

Totally agree. Not only watchers but dreamers that would rather play flight simulator than go out and take a crack at the real thing.

+1....:yes:

Money is the biggest factor. At my airport, a 172 is average $155/hr. instructor add $35. Total on average to get PPL is around $10k. Now if you get your license for recreational, to just go for a day trip or to lunch, figure around $300.

When I got my PPL I was paying $55/hr for a 152 and instructor. When I was instructing the rate was $65/hr for a warrior and $20/hr.

So one many people that want a license see those numbers now, they figure no way am I going to spend that for a hobby. Now we are talking about your average middle class people that aren't making loads of money, which is the majority out there. So they figure go get a different hobby, like a boat. Go spend 20k on a decent boat, I don't have to spend anything to get a license, don't really have to worry about weather except for personal comfort, cold, rain, etc.

I'll play Devil's Advocate...

Don't know who you're hanging around, but I think you'd be surprised at how little money "they" have. Most are borrowed to the hilt for those toys or leasing them. (The exception might be the retiring motor home crowd. They're just switching to housing on wheels. ;) )

Note that automotive advertising doesn't include the price anymore, it states the price per month "for qualified lessees with approved credit, and [insert outrageously high down-payment here]". Wasn't that long ago the ads had a price in them.

It also doesn't include taxes, licensing, or anything required for the upkeep.

In the average airplane rental, all of that stuff is rolled into the hourly price. Talk about bad Marketing.

As far as watchers vs. doers goes, what does aviation offer? You can learn to fly VFR and then waste away four days of the 10 you get at a "good" company in paid vacation time per year, in an airport lobby, waiting for the weather to clear so you can go home and not get fired when you no-show on Monday so the weather wouldn't kill you and your brood.

That's not very appealing to the average Joe and Jane. They're busy taking the kids to Soccer in the "amazing" mini-van with 16 cup holders and fold-flat seats.

All this in a 30+ year old aircraft that needs constant TLC in a world where cars run a year or more, without even an oil change, and people have no idea how to work on them.

Want a NEW aircraft capable of real family travel? Drop twice the price of the average Suburban home anywhere other than the coasts. (Which are horrendously bankrupt.)

I love aviation and will fly until someone makes me stop, but it's a hobby for die-hards these days.

Which new aircraft should a prospective pilot purchase brand new, that costs the same as say, a sports car, and can carry two adults, two kids, and go somewhere?

They can walk down to the RV dealer or boat shop and walk out with something they can play with this weekend, financed out the wazoo, with no requirement to learn anything, no checkrides, no logbooks, no Chief Counsel opinions about who can ride in it and pay for the gas, and rarely are they deadly enough that a good friend will crash one and die, for about $250-$300/month.

Harsh, yes. But that's going to be how the non-flying public sees it.

So will I.

Money is a huge barrier for many people. However, more than the money you need to have the interest.

Many of the people we fly could easily afford flying lessons and a small airplane but they have no interest. We rarely have people ask us questions about the airplane or about flying in general. They like the airplane but only in the sense that is is comfortable and gets them where they need to go without the hassle of the airlines. It's not my impression that they would want the hassle of flying themselves either.

Why in the world would anybody who can ride around in a stand-up cabin bizjet want to fly a small airplane?

So will I.

Money is a huge barrier for many people. However, more than the money you need to have the interest.

Many of the people we fly could easily afford flying lessons and a small airplane but they have no interest. We rarely have people ask us questions about the airplane or about flying in general. They like the airplane but only in the sense that is is comfortable and gets them where they need to go without the hassle of the airlines. It's not my impression that they would want the hassle of flying themselves either.

Money is the biggest barrier, for sure. In aviation, it's not the same as buying a toy because flying itself costs money. The toy requires money every time you play with it. You can talk about Bernoulli and Newton all day, but in the end, it's money that makes an airplane fly.

For my part, I fly ultralights more than anything else these days, mainly because of money. They cost a lot less to buy and maintain, especially because of my aircraft mechanic training. The big difference is that I can buy most parts at Ace Hardware or Tractor Supply.

I doubt there's any way to substantially reduce the cost of flying "real" airplanes, though; so money will always be a barrier.

-Rich

The total number of pilots is declining because of the cubic buttload of people who were trained by the military during WW2, who are dying off.
There was no way the percentage of the population with pilot's licenses could be sustained after that.

What is more concerning is the reduction in pilot starts, and the reduction on people completing their PPL.

What is even more concerning, to me, is the percentage of people who ARE starting, with the sole objective of going to commercial aviation. I suspect the number of non-commercial students will be reduced.

The only silver lining I see is the number of pilots coming back from the sandbox, who may decide to move into civilian aircraft ownership after getting back into the civilian world.
Plus a generation of military vets who are doers, not watchers. They need another 5-10 years to get into the civilian world, build a career, and they'll have the money to fly.

The biggest reason for the declining pilot population is Father Death -- and there isn't much we can do about it.

That enormous "pig in the snake" was the WWII generation -- many thousands of pilots who are no longer a part of the active pilot population.

Another big group was the Korean War boys. They're mostly gone now, too.

The next big chunk is the Vietnam guys. They're getting to retirement age, now, and it won't be much longer...

After them, its my generation -- the late Boomers. There just aren't a lot of us -- and after us there are virtually no pilots, comparatively speaking.

Demographics aren't working in our favor. :(

Sent from my Nexus 7

After them, its my generation -- the late Boomers. There just aren't a lot of us -- and after us there are virtually no pilots, comparatively speaking.

Yup. There's a demographic reason places like PoA are where everyone meets nowadays, too. You have to go National to find like-minded folk. No offense to the very nice people at the Colorado Pilot's Assn holiday parties the last few years, but I was the youngest guy in the crowd, and I've got white hair mixed into the brown. And it's not just organizations, I usually see the same five or six people my age at the local AOPA/ASF Safety Seminars, too. Half of those are CFIs.

If I had to get my "fix" of aviation talk from pilots my age or younger, I'd be talking to myself. Or I'd be talking to the kids at the FBO headed for the airlines. Or so they hope.

[Typed up and then snipped long depressing stories of everyone I know who's dropped out of recreational aviation...]

I'm officially 'middle aged' this week. There should be two generations of recreational pilots behind me by now. They're not there.

City of six million people, there was only one airplane in the pattern this evening and two non-business, non-Lifeguard IFR arrivals tonight at my little local airport, which is supposedly fifth or sixth busiest in the Nation. There's three GA airports so maybe a plane or two at the others.

Holy crapolie, you guys are depressing me. In the end, I guess I'll agree with much of what I've read.

1) Flying actually takes some motivation if you want to achieve the dream. As someone said, you can't drop $500 over a weekend and make it happen.
2) Flying can be stupid expensive. Flying Clubs really seem the answer to me, but they are hard to find and good clubs are pretty rare. If you're going to the local FBO, you are looking at some steep rental fees ... no way around it.
3) Flying can have pretty limited utility. Unless you are ready to drop some serious coin on an IFR ticket and a FIKI airplane, you really can't count on GA for business travel (or vacation travel) - at least for many months a year in the mid-west.

All that said, there simply is nothing like flight. It's the most amazing, addictive, satisfying and over all freeing experience in life (on a good day). So, if we accept the constraints, what do we do to keep our shared hobby alive?

For me, it is as follows:
Objective: Freedom of flight + limited weekend travel throughout the mid-West during late Spring, Summer and Fall for at least 2 people.
Constraints: See 1-3 above
Solution (when I return from the US):
(a) Buy a Pietenpol, Airbike 2, Bakeng Duce, Breezy, Hatz, Spacewalker, Spezio or Woody Pusher. This allows uber low-cost weekend fun for two.
(b) Find 2-4 like minded individuals for a 2-4 place plane that can handle light IFR - thinking Mooney 201, Cardinal, Tiger, RV, Velocity, etc.

I figure $15k-$25k for the open air experience and $15k-$20k for the partnership + $250/mo variable on the two combined and all of a sudden I've got everything I want at a price that doesn't make me feel guilty every time I look at my lovely and oh so patient wife.

All that said, there simply is nothing like flight. It's the most amazing, addictive, satisfying and over all freeing experience in life (on a good day). So, if we accept the constraints, what do we do to keep our shared hobby alive?

100% agreed.

Just keep flying until "they" make you stop. Those who must fly, will.

Michael Combs, who almost lost his medical to a life threatening illness, just finished flying his LSA in all 50 States.

http://www.forthehumanspirit.com/index.php/adventures/flighths

His signed postcard I received a copy of when I met him, with a photo of his airplane, Hope One, proudly hangs on my refrigerator door as a reminder that anyone can do anything.

The photo of him touching the prop of his airplane with a tear in his eye in Hawaii last week, is one of the most deeply touching aviation photos I've seen in years.

They can walk down to the RV dealer or boat shop and walk out with something they can play with this weekend, financed out the wazoo, with no requirement to learn anything, no checkrides, no logbooks, no Chief Counsel opinions about who can ride in it and pay for the gas, and rarely are they deadly enough that a good friend will crash one and die, for about $250-$300/month.

Well Said!!:thumbsup: I thought that was funny.

Sure it is expensive to fly and financially justifying GA is virtually impossible but that might not be the only reason people don't get involved in GA. If people base every decision based on justifying their decision financially,in theory the luxury car market would fold- why buy the BMW when the Ford will still get you there.

I think we are in a self fulfilling prophecy kind of situation. For me, no one else I know, literally no one was involved in flying or had ever been flying in a small plane before. My interest was sparked somehow and I went for it. So many people grow up without exposure to flying in General Aviation that no wonder it does not occur to them to pursue it as a hobby. Even hobbies like, Golf, another personal hobby of mine whose numbers are also on the decline recently, are at a greater advantage because most people know of a golfer in their life. Coupled with the fact that most people's experience with flying comes from airline travel- far from a fun experience, we certainly face an uphill challenge. That being said, I completely agree with the original poster in that exposing people to flying GA is the only way forward. It is a numbers game and without at least some exposure to the amazingness of General Aviation how can we expect numbers to not decline?

Last edited:
Everyone I know is too afraid to get in a "little" plane like a 172 and are amazed that I have the guts to pilot that thing. They think it'll just plummet out of the sky at random and that it runs on my hopes and dreams.

Everyone I know is too afraid to get in a "little" plane like a 172 and are amazed that I have the guts to pilot that thing. They think it'll just plummet out of the sky at random and that it runs on my hopes and dreams.

A great commentary on our society in this brave new world of ours, huh?

Two problems that will not be overcome.
1. All the rules.
2. Us.
Most everybody flying nowadays is a recreational bureaucratt that likes and embraces rules. The peoplle who arent cant be bothered to get n airport badge so they can maybe getan intro lesson.
pilots are unfriendly dbags. You can prove it to yourself easy enough, leave the aopa hat, watch, a2 jacket at home and walk around an airport where no one knows you are a pilot. Note the friendly reception. Try asking about flying. I grew up near a little grass strip full of antiques 30 years ago the word on the playground was kids were greeted with rocksalt. Dont know of anyone getting shot but it wasnt and isnt a friendly place. Same as most airports.

The regulations are also an obstacle. There are medical standards that seem more appropriate for candidates for the first manned trip to Mars than for puttering along in a 172, and TSA regulations that assume that everyone who inquires about a Discovery Flight is a terrorist.

One example: When I wanted my goddaughter Kimberly to take a few lessons, one of the biggest problems was that she didn't have a state-issued photo ID. How many 8-year-olds have a state-issued photo ID? The flight school's owner finally solved the problem by saying, "This is bull****," and photocopying her school id. It was a public school, so it was at least sort of "state-issued."

-Rich

It's cost for most of the people I talk to. Everybody's interested, but not enough to spend thousands of dollars. Even those that have the money don't think its worth the expense.

When I was perfectly healthy, I couldn't afford to fly. I worked my butt off, securing my financial future at the expense of my health and now I'm freaking jumping through hoops for Oklahoma City just to be able to do something I've wanted to do for 30 years. Ironic.

A great commentary on our society in this brave new world of ours, huh?

Seriously. Although all my (best) friends can replace a tire, nobody else outside my circle of (best) friends can even check the tire pressure let alone change it.

It's sad. We're all detached from everything. I'm 26 and all my friends are glued to their phones. I went to a car meet where we get together and talk shop. I'm not kidding, like 60% of the time everyone was just quietly on their phone.

Plus, instant gratification is something, too. The other day they had free burritos at the restaurant down the street from the office. Literally a four minute walk from your desk. All you do is you show up and receive a burrito of your choice. You just had to wait in line for 10 minutes. Nobody wanted to go because that's too long of a wait.

:dunno:

Just makes me sad, though, that I'll likely just be flying alone most of the time. Nobody wants to go with me in that small plane.

Meanwhile another thread is currently running on this board, asking people to share the hardships and sacrifices they endured to pay for their pilot training. What's wrong with this picture?

Think about this, in 1973, the FARs book was about an inch thick, if that. Now how thick is it? General Aviation is becoming obsolete because we have a government determined to regulate it out of existence. They also want to clear the skies for the thousands of drone operations that will soon be filling them with everything from small rotary camera platforms to high flying area surveillance drones as big as jets.

User fees will soon be kicking in to help them in their effort, along with ten to twenty dollar per gallon fuel. You can do whatever you want, but the heyday of GA has long past.

-John

Unfortunately we have a lot of things conspiring against us:

1) Aging Baby Boomers
2) Cost of avgas
3) Cost of parts/maintenance
4) Cost of training
5) Cost of ownership/renting/hangar
6) Utility versus cost of commercial flights
7) Time commitment
8) Studying/Work involved
9) Fear of flying

One thing I haven't seen mentioned previously is that a lot of the general population are afraid of flying. I believe the numbers I've read previously indicated that nearly 20% have an excessive fear of flying, not just mild anxiousness. I've seen this first-hand, as the only person in my entire family that will fly with me (including nephews, etc...) is my wife, even though I have made many attempts at offering flights. The only thing I can attribute this to, is a general fear of flying in small planes. I don't think it's anything to do with me personally, as I believe I have a fairly good disposition for flying.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

10) Draconian regulations. If you farted whiskey ten years ago while riding a moped you can kiss your medical certificate away.

Meanwhile another thread is currently running on this board, asking people to share the hardships and sacrifices they endured to pay for their pilot training. What's wrong with this picture?
Depends on tolerance for Ramen. :D

Per some lyrics of one of my favorite Rush songs, Half the World:

Half the world waits
While half gets on with it anyway
Half the world thinks
While half the world does

Why in the world would anybody who can ride around in a stand-up cabin bizjet want to fly a small airplane?
Most of the people I'm thinking of only ride in bizjets to company destinations on the company dime. Of course we sometimes joke around about getting lost and ending up in a more recreational destination (than Addison, for example.) :D

To turn the question around, if some of you posting here had the opportunity to ride on a bizjet for business reasons paid for by someone else would you express any interest or ask the pilots questions?

Back