Dealing With Down Time Intervals

kontiki

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kontiki
All,

I haven't flown in about 8 weeks. Typical story; did some repairs, then bought a condo, then moved, still a couple more days to wrap up repairs.

It's really all been good, but I haven't flown. I'm instrument rated with under maybe 600 hrs total time. Is there a routine or system more experienced pilots follow to get back into it after a little down time.

I feel plenty confident, but would defer to solid judgment and good ideas.

Thanks

Happens to me every year around winter (which is still going strong in Maine). So I usually just don't even bother flying for about January to March. I usually just do a quick local flight you've done a bunch of times before or some easy pattern work on a clear day. Bringing a pilot buddy or CFI definitely does help.

7 weeks has been the longest. Average 3 weeks. I go up solo, do some maneuvers and tng's at a few airports before taking my family up. I'd fly more but our "booming" economy won't allow that right now. While down in the winter there is plenty to learn about weather and other topics to keep us safe. Hoping for a sunny weekend. Last weekends flight....rained/snowed out.

Read your copy of the PTS.

If you don't believe you can fly to the bare minimum described therein, hire a CFI.

Otherwise, go fly and work back up to a better standard than the PTS.

Don't take joyrides around the pattern, go to the practice area and work to prove you can fly better than minimum standards. Next, plan a cross-country and execute it to PRS standards. Etc.

It's not a perfect instrument, but it's a hell of a lot more objective an answer than you'll get to this -- oft-asked question -- from any online forum.

If you thought you could fly to PTS standards and get aloft and are totally screwing the pooch, land and hire a CFI. You won't be so awful that you can't bring the aircraft back in one piece, unless weather decision-making was your weak spot.

In other words... Pick a nice day to start with.

You seem concerned about an 8 week layoff. Even if you feel confident - why not hire a CFII to test you to PTS standards? If nothing else, it'll be a test of how you do after 8 weeks and the CFII might have some tip/advice to give.

You're worried after 8 weeks? Just go up on a decent day; it should come back pretty quickly… As another poster said, if you really don't like how you're flying, land and get a CFI to work with you. When I've had a break, I stay in the pattern and do three landings to a full stop and take stock from there. I suspect you'll find yourself a little sloppy but safe…

FWIW I consider breaks my biggest problem in flying. I now try to make sure I fly at least one weekend a month to maintain minimal proficiency leading up to my flying vacations, when I fly every day for a week or two in a row.

Last edited:
Approaching 9 months off and hoping to break the spell in the next few weeks. I will go up with a CFI for a few reasons

1) I know I'm stale and I have some rust.
2) I need a BFR before I can be PIC.
3) it's a good idea
4) the club requires it for my currency :).

1 & 3 are enough.

Back