"Deadliest Job Interview"...

flhrci

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
David
on Discovery channel has an American pilot going through a South African Bush Pilot school. So there is flying in the show and it looks to be spread out over more than one episode. It is a 10-day school and I have never heard of it.

David

I watched it and thought that guy was totally faking being a pilot. I predict the show will be cancelled. The tree crawlers were lame too.

I watched it and thought that guy was totally faking being a pilot. I predict the show will be cancelled. The tree crawlers were lame too.

I agree the show was not super thrilling like it was hyped. I am not what to think about the pilot. Don't remember if they told his total hours but I don't get why he went to South Africa for that either. Seems like a short cut to what an Alaska pilot would get from experience.

David

I've heard of a guy that conducts a bush pilot school in Africa and has a book on bush flying that he sells on eBay. I'll see if I can find a link.

I've been to his place in South Africa when I was passing through on the London to Cape Town C182 adventure, and taken his 3 day course. It was excellent. It was nice to find out you can comfortably land a 172 in 300ft, and it was the only time so far I've flown under power lines (everyday stuff for ag-pilots, I know).

2013_11_10_1.jpg

Last edited:
There's another similar show that the BBC (I think) put out called The Worst Place to be a Pilot. It's a bunch of English guys flying around Indonesia.

Kinda dramatized, but I liked it!

"Golf is for people who don't know how to fly"

Sooo gonna make a bumper sticker of that!

I would like to know how the student pilot in the show is going to go back to El Paso and be able to charge 500 bucks an hour to fly people.

Oh wait..... El Paso is right next to Mexico.... learn to do off airport landings.... I understand now....

What does a tail dragger w/ pilot go for as a 135 charter?

I know 135 adds significant cost (insurance for off airport Ops can't be cheap).

If he's only a student pilot he's got some time before he FAA qualifies for 135, a bit longer for insurance off field tailwheel 135

This is not a "get your PPL" course. It's focused on bush flying. The way the show pitches it, he's going to go home to Texas and start offering his "services" for $500/hr.

It's a "reality" show though, so who really knows.

This is not a "get your PPL" course. It's focused on bush flying. The way the show pitches it, he's going to go home to Texas and start offering his "services" for $500/hr.

Years ago I was offering my pilot services in Texas for $35 an hour and no one was interested.

Years ago I was offering my pilot services in Texas for $35 an hour and no one was interested.

It might have been that the offer stated, "every flight comes with a Happy Landing"

According to the FAA database he got his PPL a year ago and that's the only certificate listed. He's going to need a lot more than a 10 day bush flying course before he can offer his services at any price.

Fat wallet and no sense. Loved the spins freaking him out. $500 an hour, gimme a break! :rofl:

According to the FAA database he got his PPL a year ago and that's the only certificate listed. He's going to need a lot more than a 10 day bush flying course before he can offer his services at any price.

Yep...

...plus I was assuming the $500/hr included the plane...

What's the going rate for bush pilot with plane for backcountry work? I honestly have no idea, but I could possibly believe $500/Hobbs hr.

According to the FAA database the "instructor" Milne Pocock holds a commercial pilot certificate and an AGI. I know that his course isn't training that is applied to a certificate but he does advertise that it is FAA accredited. How can you teach an FAA accredited course if you are not a CFI?

After the second episode I'm out. Couldn't even watch the whole show. :mad2:

What's the going rate for bush pilot with plane for backcountry work? I honestly have no idea, but I could possibly believe $500/Hobbs hr.

Last time I flew in Alaska a C-207 charter went for $700/hr with pilot and fuel, but that company was a little unrealistic in prices.

So Pilot Ron was doing better on day 3 but developed some kind of colon infection which possibly required surgery. They left him at the 3rd or 4th day in the hospital and having to postpone/quit the training program. Surgery unknown.

David

A friend of mine that flys gyrocopters, and was in an episode of "Doomsday Preppers." He told me that it was completely scripted. Which was evident when he pretended like he was not able to get the gyro to start, and couldn't figure out why. It makes for a good chuckle if nothing else.

A friend of mine that flys gyrocopters, and was in an episode of "Doomsday Preppers." He told me that it was completely scripted. Which was evident when he pretended like he was not able to get the gyro to start, and couldn't figure out why. It makes for a good chuckle if nothing else.

what? Tv shows are scripted? I am shocked!

The tree climbing part was as exciting as watching someone climb a....wait for it..... tree.:lol:

And what is this "bush pilot certification" that pilot Ron is working so hard to get.?

The tree climbing part was as exciting as watching someone climb a....wait for it..... tree.:lol:

And what is this "bush pilot certification" that pilot Ron is working so hard to get.?

Amazing we are still alive! I had no idea I needed a bush pilot rating? Is that like a FAAST card?

And FWIW you can plan about 20% of hull value per year if you want to do off airport 135 work. On a 185 I've been quoted $30k. I know lots of guys who do it, but I don't know one who hasnt balled up Atleast one airplane.

Back